Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get the JackPoint Jack Stands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why anyone is talking jack stands at all. Jack stands are for when you're working under a car. Replacing a tire does not in any way, shape or form require jack stands. If you're putting part of your body under the car while you're replacing a tire, you're doing it wrong.

It's such a nothing task, why overcomplicate it? All you need is a jack, a car with lift points, and a tire iron or socket wrench.

The exception to that rule is when you need to take the tire off to take it some place to be repaired so I'd rather the car rest on jack stands than the jack while it's wheel is missing.

Jeff

Last week I took my MS to a local mom n pop type of tire shop in Bellflower, ca, after reading a few posts about members getting their jack pads (or whatever that area is called with the 3 holes) eaten up, I literally got down on my hands and knees to show the guy at the tire shop exactly where to lift the car with a car jack, he knew exactly how to place the jack to "catch" the jack pad to jack up the car to remove the tire to check for a nail. I had already knew to place the car in "jack mode" even before he started, for $15 he patched my tire and in less than 15 minutes I was on my way.

I don't understand why anyone is talking jack stands at all. Jack stands are for when you're working under a car. Replacing a tire does not in any way, shape or form require jack stands. If you're putting part of your body under the car while you're replacing a tire, you're doing it wrong.

It's such a nothing task, why overcomplicate it? All you need is a jack, a car with lift points, and a tire iron or socket wrench.

Rotations. Putting the car up on jack stands with all 4 wheels off the ground lets you rotate tires very easily because you can simultaneously take all 4 off, clean them, set air pressures, measure tread depths, clean hubs and wheel mounting surfaces, and then put all 4 back on with no intermediate jacking steps.

I do this all the time with my Jackpoint jack stands.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

Just to follow up on an old post -- two related reasons in particular in this case. One, I don't have a spare. Two, hydraulic floor jacks almost always slowly descend if they are holding weight. Every one I've worked with in my life has done this. So here's what happens. You jack up the car. You remove the damaged tire with the wheel. You leave to take it to a tire shop to be replaced or fixed. This presents two problems. One, the car will likely be resting on the ground without a wheel by the time you get back. Two, I just don't consider it safe to leave a lifted car unattended without it being held by a jack stand.

A spare wheel and tire would suffice for dealing with blown tire issues, but if you don't already have a spare, might as well go for stands that can be used for multiple purposes.

Got an update from John over at Jackpoint Jackstands LLC. They are retooling to increase production, and are not entirely satisfied with the new tooling and are having to revise a little to reach their desired level of expectations out of their products. That's why they are so far behind on shipments. They seemed very willing to refund or put folks on an unpaid waiting list in the meantime. I was fairly satisfied with his polite and prompt response and will be staying in the order queue for now.

I'm so Confused!!!?? So don't use my old floor jack? Use hockey puck? Buy speciality jack stands? Call Tesla? I should had thought about this before I bought this car
I know. I know. I just gave up trying to keep up and figure it out. What do I do now? I wake my neighbor up and tell him that I have a flat and call someone to fix it. He doesn't have a clue its a Tesla and doesn't know anything about the considerations that need to be taken. But I figure as complex as this issue has become, his ignorance of all these things is going to get me the same result as if I took charge and got it done myself. I guess I am trusting my fate to the gods.

I'm so Confused!!!?? So don't use my old floor jack? Use hockey puck? Buy speciality jack stands? Call Tesla? I should had thought about this before I bought this car

One of the cons of owning a Tesla. Given where the battery is, it is very important to jack it from the designated jack points. On any other car, it's not a big deal. I mean, sure, gas cars have designated jack points too, but it's unlikely you'll screw anything up if you just use some random point that looks strong. A lot less room for error on a Tesla.

One of the cons of owning a Tesla. Given where the battery is, it is very important to jack it from the designated jack points. On any other car, it's not a big deal. I mean, sure, gas cars have designated jack points too, but it's unlikely you'll screw anything up if you just use some random point that looks strong. A lot less room for error on a Tesla.
Does anyone have a picture of the Jacking points ?? Is it really that complicated??:eek:

Not using jack stands when jacking up a car is unwise to the point of demonstrating Darwinism in action.

See manual for a nice picture of the jack points highlighted in yellow.

Hockey pucks and wood blocks are nice, but those jack stands are schweet. I hope they resume timely delivery soon as I do want some. Anything I can do to keep my car away from service centers of any kind is effort well spent.

Not using jack stands when jacking up a car is unwise to the point of demonstrating Darwinism in action.

See manual for a nice picture of the jack points highlighted in yellow.

Hockey pucks and wood blocks are nice, but those jack stands are schweet. I hope they resume timely delivery soon as I do want some. Anything I can do to keep my car away from service centers of any kind is effort well spent.
AGREEEED!;)

Last week I took my MS to a local mom n pop type of tire shop in Bellflower, ca, after reading a few posts about members getting their jack pads (or whatever that area is called with the 3 holes) eaten up, I literally got down on my hands and knees to show the guy at the tire shop exactly where to lift the car with a car jack, he knew exactly how to place the jack to "catch" the jack pad to jack up the car to remove the tire to check for a nail. I had already knew to place the car in "jack mode" even before he started, for $15 he patched my tire and in less than 15 minutes I was on my way.
Now thats what I'm talking about!!!!:)

Reactions: bakerboy
It's not that it's terribly complicated, it's that if you don't do it right, you can damage the edge of the battery casing. The pads themselves are very similar to what BMW uses on just about all of their cars.
Most BMWs have a rectangular socket at the four corners that is very different than what Tesla uses, see the attached picture.
DSC_0101.jpg

Most BMWs also have a forward center jack point, which is just a boss on the subframe which might appear similar.

Most BMWs have a rectangular socket at the four corners that is very different than what Tesla uses, see the attached picture.
DSC_0101.jpg

Most BMWs also have a forward center jack point, which is just a boss on the subframe which might appear similar.
So what you are saying is that BMW has a plastic rectangular block at the four jacking points? I have seen that configuration before somewhere else...

• Funny
Reactions: Joelc
People need to know local mechanics and tire shops. Not necessarily the big-name shops, or the shops with 10 techs, but the smaller shops run by "Joe" and his mechanic "Bob".

I used to have a racecar, and needed an alignment. Shop after shop replied with "it's not in the computer so we cannot do it.".
I got referred to a frame shop run by a guy called Jerry. I stopped by and there was nobody in the front office; I walked into the shop and there were 4 car stands (4 post things) with 3 racing trucks on 3 of them. I was in the right place.

Since then, whenever I need any tire / alignment stuff, I go and see Jerry. I "buy him lunch" every time I see him with a $20 handshake.

When my wife had a flat tire, he fixed it for free. The "Tire Store" told her she needed a new tire. Jerry fixed it, and told her that the other tire stioe didn't even take the tire off of the rim. Wife was "worried" that the tire wasn't safe - Jerry's WIFE told my wife that if he says it's safe then it's safe. The tire lasted 40K more miles.

I stop by and see Jerry every time I need something. (He calls me when he needs tech help on other stuff.)
He will rotate my tires. He will check my aligment. If the alignment is fine, he doesn't charge me.
I buy him lunch.

When I needed new tires, we had a discusson on tires, and what shape he likes and how they last. My "online" price was cheaper than his price. I bought the tires online, shipped them directly to him, and he mounted and installed everything. Charged me $20 per wheel.

Find a local mechanic. Talk to them and show an interest in them an their life. You will get good advice whenever you need it, and if they cannot help you with a proiblem, they will know who can.