Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get the JackPoint Jack Stands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People need to know local mechanics and tire shops. Not necessarily the big-name shops, or the shops with 10 techs, but the smaller shops run by "Joe" and his mechanic "Bob".
:) What about Bubba? And what about Gomer and Goober? They work hard too. When you are in Lick Skillet or Mayberry, stop by and let them jack up your Tesla. They need the love too. :)

In the video below, if you stop it between 3:02 and 3:03, you'll see that they jacked-up the entire side of the car with a floor jack and then put jack stands. Is that spot acceptable for a jack or are they a bunch of hacks?

Good catch. I can’t tell.

They have added safety structure to the interior of the car. They could have done something below for a jack point. Or they could view the battery as “strong enough”. Clearly not covered by Tesla warranty

Received my set of JackPoint jack stands today. The were originally ordered on 8/14/2017 but JackPoint was in the process of retooling and got way behind on shipments. They might be starting to catch up now.

I have a Craftsman 3-ton floor jack as my primary jack right now (I would guess maybe 10 years old), and it works with the stands, though just barely. A bigger jack might not fit. Smaller jacks should fit no problem. My jack was just a standard jack, and not the smallest or low profile or anything, so I suspect most floor jacks would work with it.

I'm happy with the product.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Received my set of JackPoint jack stands today. The were originally ordered on 8/14/2017 but JackPoint was in the process of retooling and got way behind on shipments. They might be starting to catch up now.

I have a Craftsman 3-ton floor jack as my primary jack right now (I would guess maybe 10 years old), and it works with the stands, though just barely. A bigger jack might not fit. Smaller jacks should fit no problem. My jack was just a standard jack, and not the smallest or low profile or anything, so I suspect most floor jacks would work with it.

I'm happy with the product.
Glad to hear the review of the new tooling. If you have an opportunity, would you ask them if they're going to be taking new orders anytime soon?

I'm currently standing outside a local BJ's Tire Center keeping an eye on my tire change. Nice guys, however they were about to use their lift to raise my car without any padding between the car's jack points and their lift. The one guy didn't know how to start the car to pull it into the bay. He wasn't sure if it was on.

In fact, even after pointing out the issue with the jack points being flush to the outside edge of the car, they still went ahead and "tested" their unpadded method on one side. Needless to say, the metal lift was right up against the car's body.

I told them to find something to put in between. They came up with two square rubber pads and a handfull of rubber/clothe work gloves - soon to be switched out for a few padded back braces. o_O

The car is now up with the rubber pads on one side and the back braces on the other. I ask myself, why didn't I just run to Wal-Mart for some hockey pucks, or purchase some of those homemade jack pads offered on this forum?

Anyway, instead of going across the street for a beer while I waited for my tires to be changed, I'm here nervously watching and hoping nothing is damaged.

20171210_155921.jpg
20171210_155537.jpg
20171210_155608.jpg

Attachments

• 20171210_160726.jpg
    20171210_160726.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 61
There no way I would take my car to tesla for tires. I made my own jack supports. I give them to the tire guy. I just got 4 ZR Y rated tires from Tire Rack for a quarter of their price. Mounted , balanced for $20 each. I stand right next to my car as they jack it.

I'm currently standing outside a local BJ's Tire Center keeping an eye on my tire change. Nice guys, however they were about to use their lift to raise my car without any padding between the car's jack points and their lift. The one guy didn't know how to start the car to pull it into the bay. He wasn't sure if it was on.

In fact, even after pointing out the issue with the jack points being flush to the outside edge of the car, they still went ahead and "tested" their unpadded method on one side. Needless to say, the metal lift was right up against the car's body.

I told them to find something to put in between. They came up with two square rubber pads and a handfull of rubber/clothe work gloves - soon to be switched out for a few padded back braces. o_O

The car is now up with the rubber pads on one side and the back braces on the other. I ask myself, why didn't I just run to Wal-Mart for some hockey pucks, or purchase some of those homemade jack pads offered on this forum?

Anyway, instead of going across the street for a beer while I waited for my tires to be changed, I'm here nervously watching and hoping nothing is damaged.

View attachment 265866 View attachment 265867 View attachment 265868

This hurts to look at and screams amateur hour by that crew. I had my snow tires mounted at Costco this weekend and reassured me they had worked on Tesla’s before and took a genuine interest in the car. They confirmed 45psi, 129 lb ft on the lugs, and took excellent care of the car using an extension to keep the lifts arms from touching he body (just like they do with an suv that has running boards).

561CB990-D4EE-49F0-967B-2064F056321C.jpeg

Example here
76BA2BA6-5CF4-4B89-B785-E74A4ACF3792.jpeg

When I swap or rotate at home I use a hockey puck that I picked up on amazon.

4FC43A0E-518E-469E-B03C-1563317554DD.jpeg

They confirmed 45psi, 129 lb ft on the lugs

I did double check to ensure they knew about the 129 lbs of torque ("we have a chart for all vehicles"), however I didn't get a mile down the road before the low tire pressure indication popped on. They were only filled to 37 lbs. So I had to go back and I told him 45 and he then looked at the specs inside the door to confirm. He had initially claimed to have done tire changes on four other Teslas recently. Amateur hour for sure.

My one flat (so far) cost me $351 at the Tesla shop, mounted, balanced, TPM, whole deal for a Michelin Primacy in 2016. Probably got a car wash and vacuum thrown in, too. At the time, I thought I was paying too much but I just wanted to get it done and was a bit anxious about some other tire store handling the car.
My feeling of paying too much would be totally relieved if only Tesla would offer a road hazard warranty. That is what galls me, to pay a premium price and not have that protection available at other tire stores. But I made my choice and paid my money, so...

There no way I would take my car to tesla for tires.

For all the stories detailed in this thread, there is no way I would take my car anywhere other than a Tesla center for anything that needs to put the car on a lift.

You can buy tires (that are on the Tesla OEM list) at Tire Rack or any other place and have them shipped to Tesla and they will mount and balance all 4 for $120. -- and don't need to worry about it.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-10_20-31-10.png
    upload_2017-12-10_20-31-10.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Four hockey pucks and a copy of the jackpoints diagram (color coded, even) from the manual go a long way toward reducing anxiety on the road, yeah.

One often isn't near a Tesla SvC, and certainly can't count on one being nearby and open 24/7.

Not so sure why anyone would pay more at Tesla for the same tires that Tire Rack will send to a Tesla SvC for considerably less. Tire Rack also includes 2 years of road hazard coverage, which, while not as good as Discount/America's Tire's certs for 3 years to 3/32", is still better than nothing, which is what Tesla offers insofar as certs/road hazard coverages are concerned.

DIscount/America's Tire is getting pricey with all of their add-on fees, which is a shame - still mitigable if you get their credit card and purchase during a holiday deal, but... meh. I think for the next set of tires, I'll have them sent from Tire Rack to whichever Tesla SvC I'm near at the time, and eat the mounting/balance fees. Last time I checked with Tesla for an alignment charge after having the tires mounted and balanced, they said it would be half-price, which is to say half of $250 (?!). Anyone know if Tesla has the gear and expertise that a high-end alignment shop has (that would be worth that price)?

Anyway, in round numbers, that's $125 for the alignment, $120 for the mounting/balancing, and $793 net for a full set of Michelin OEM 19"s after the mail-in $70 rebate and the $61 in shipping.

Total out the door cost: $1038. That's more than double what a set of Goodyear OEM 19"s (RS A-2) would cost, but you also get double the tread life and an LRR tire. I got 53,000 miles out of my first set of Michelins and had tread to spare. I'll be lucky to get 25,000 miles from the Goodyear OEM 19"s (Touring) that the 2nd car came with.

Moral of the story being if you don't plan to keep the car but a year or so, get the Goodyear Eagle RS A-2s for less than $500 otd. If you do, the Michelins would be a better OEM bet.

Your mileage will vary - and of course, performance (driving style) and maintenance are key. If you don't keep your tires inflated to the pound and rotate as necessary, then I have noooooo sympathy for you when yer tires wear out sooner than necessary.

Total out the door cost: $1038.

$852 OTD for Michelin Primacy MXM4 245/45R19. This included a $70 manufacturer's discount and a $60 BJ's discount for mounting and balancing. The prices quoted at Tesla as we know were significantly more. This was another case of - you get what you pay for.

When I asked a Tesla associate about my rear tires wearing out after 12K miles, they advised rotating them every 3K miles. BJ's advised rotating every 6K miles.

$852 OTD for Michelin Primacy MXM4 245/45R19. This included a $70 manufacturer's discount and a $60 BJ's discount for mounting and balancing. The prices quoted at Tesla as we know were significantly more. This was another case of - you get what you pay for.

When I asked a Tesla associate about my rear tires wearing out after 12K miles, they advised rotating them every 3K miles. BJ's advised rotating every 6K miles.

All good except my number included an alignment. So let's see... $1038 less $125 is $913 having the work done at Tesla with no alignment.

Now, call me crazy but for the extra $61, I'd probably have Tesla do the work.

Agreed that if one just took Tesla's pricing at face value, the tires alone would be over $1K with tax, then add the $120 for mounting/balancing, and then there's still the value loss of not having certs/road hazard protection for 2 years (Tire Rack) or 3 years (America's/Discount Tire) respectively.

Rotations every 3K miles? I've heard of rotating after the first 2500 miles (then 5000-7500 mile intervals thereafter), but never every 3K miles. In fact, even Tesla recommends ... I think they're up to every 6250 miles now iirc.

I'd like to meet the folks that get more than 35,000 miles out of a set of Goodyear Eagles (RS A-2 or Touring). I've heard a handful of stories of people doing that with RS A-2s *not* in P cars, but have yet to meet or hear of ANYONE getting more than 30,000 miles out of the new GETs. Given the cost of the GETs, this essentially doubles cost of ownership for tires and as far as I can tell, they ain't much if any quieter than the Michelin OEMs.

Of course, all the 21" owners are saying "Cry me a river", but hey... :)

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Looks like they are rated similar as far as weight capacity. No indication of how much weight the RennStand was tested with, Jackpoint claims 15,000 lbs.

RennStand is adjustable, but looks "thicker" so may not be able to go under lower cars.

JackPoint has custom plates to fit different cars, may be more stable.

Wider base on Jackpoint may imply better stability.

Jackpoint is larger, not as easy to carry.

Jackpoint costs $50 more.

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
Thread revival!

I've been looking for a jackstand like the RennSport or Jackpoint, but obviously using the wrong search criteria. I saw a Ranger using the Jackpoint's on his last visit and asked him about them. I was sold on the unit until I saw the price... $319 a pair?!? I am obviously paying a LOT in R&D and to fund a small market product. Does anyone know of a less expensive outlet than jackpointjackstands.com? RennStand is slightly cheaper at $125 each.

I guess I'll build my own. I have plenty of know-how, welding skills and metal stock to build something for a 1/10 of the cost.

Thread revival!

I've been looking for a jackstand like the RennSport or Jackpoint, but obviously using the wrong search criteria. I saw a Ranger using the Jackpoint's on his last visit and asked him about them. I was sold on the unit until I saw the price... $319 a pair?!? I am obviously paying a LOT in R&D and to fund a small market product. Does anyone know of a less expensive outlet than jackpointjackstands.com? RennStand is slightly cheaper at $125 each.

I guess I'll build my own. I have plenty of know-how, welding skills and metal stock to build something for a 1/10 of the cost.

I hope you come up with something that suits you. Support for DIY automotive repair and maintenance is something that is suffering not just for Tesla, but for all modern vehicles. Jacking up a car used to be such a simple thing. Now on most cars it takes a giant research project and every car is different.

Honestly, I think there would be a niche market for a car that is built specifically to be serviceable for DIY mechanics. Only vehicle I can think of that might still fit that bill is a Jeep Wrangler.