Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Air for the tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Great conversations all over the place. I have a question for the group.

I live in the San Francisco. Finding a gas station with a working air station is a challenge. Other then going out and buying a air pump unit where do others get air? I sometimes bring the car to the SF Service Center. I get mixed results there.

If I take it over to the east bay the tires are no longer cold and the pressure is way off once I put the air in once I find a place

Is there any place you can buy a air package? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Ed

I have a compressor I bought at Sears years ago, it gets the job done. You don't need to spend a lot to get something that works fine, this ain't rocket surgery. I suppose you could also use the 12v compressor that's part of the tire repair kit (if you don't have a repair kit, why don't you? unless you carry a full-service spare, that is) but in my experience those things take forever.

Reactions: David29
I have the tire repair kit from Tesla (not necessarily recommending that particular item, just that's what I have) and a nice thing about its 12V compressor is that you don't need to find a household power outlet to plug into...just use the 12V power between the front seats. If all you need to do is top up the air occasionally, the slowness isn't a big deal. Also you might want to buy a good tire pressure gauge. They both live in the trunk of my car, except if I'm using them or the car is going in for service.

Bruce.

The tesla tire repair kit is actually quite good as just an air compressor. It is faster than a lot of cheaper air compressors and feels more solidly built. It also has a good cord wrap and hose management, as well as a button to remove air from the tire. It's actually the "sensor" (that's the model name) from fix & go.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and jgs
In a pinch, you can use a bike pump. I used to only use bike pumps for years but I got lazy this year and got a $50 battery powered compressor on amazon

I use a standard bike pump too. And because it is so convenient, I give about 10 pumps per tire every couple of weeks and it keeps them topped-up without the hassle of unwinding the cord on a 12V pump and them winding it back up again. When I was turned-on to the bike pump idea, I was skeptical, but I was very surprised at how well it works. Of course, if you have a heart condition, I wouldn't recommend it. It's not rigorous, but it does get your heart pumping a little.

• Informative
If you trust some random guy working at a tire shop to set your tire pressure you are more carefree than I am.

lol

To be fair, you list tire models in your forum signature, which suggests you might be the tiniest bit more anal than the average bear. ;)

Serious question, what could they possibly muff up? I have a screen that shows me the exact pressure of each tire when they finish. Are you worried they're gonna lose one of those plastic valve stem covers or something? Add plebe air to a nitrogen filled tire? Accidentally fill it with Ford air instead of Tesla air?

This may shock you, but in addition to letting tire shops fill my tires with air, I even let them mount and balance my new tires, and rotate them every now and then. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: jgs and GHammer
lol

To be fair, you list tire models in your forum signature, which suggests you might be the tiniest bit more anal than the average bear. ;)

When people start talking about driving dynamics, stability/traction controls, 0-60 mph or 1/4 mile times, I want to know what kind of tires they're talking about because tires make a huge difference to the way the car drives. I extend the courtesy to others by listing it in my sig.

Serious question, what could they possibly muff up?

Mostly different pressures in every tire (by up to 5 psi) but I've also had them neglect to put the valve stem caps back on

I have a screen that shows me the exact pressure of each tire when they finish.

Actually, it doesn't. I drive at higher speeds on roads that can have black ice on them unexpectedly. I've found it to be much less of a problem when the tires are properly aired up. I also get much better tread wear (and efficiency) by keeping my tires in a narrower range. The tread wears into the shape of whatever pressure you have in there. If there is a lot of fluctuation in the psi between tire services, the tires have to constantly wear into a slightly different shape each time and that can shorten their life considerably. Even Tesla recommends using an air pressure gauge to set air pressure and it's a good idea to not use a different air pressure gauge for each tire (which is what the TPMS does). Because air pressure gauges vary. Additionally, the TPMS system doesn't tell you the cold psi, particularly if you have to drive a bit to get to the tire shop in the first place.

Tires are the most important part of any car and I've learned over the years not to let people with a carefree attitude adjust my tire pressures. Doing it myself is easier, quicker and better and is one less thing I have to worry about.

We carry the Tesla tire inflator/repair kit in both of our Tesla S and X 100Ds.

At home, we purchased a Black and Decker tire inflator that can be plugged into a 110 outlet or the car's 12V outlet. This inflator has a cut-off adjustment so you can set the approximate desired pressure level when it will automatically stop during inflation - making it easy to get all of the tires inflated to the desired level.