Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting billed for using a normal looking wall connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At an apartment complex, there are a bunch of wall connectors (like what is in the tesla store).
They were free to charge on them for a few months.

On my last visit, I was billed $1.50 to my Tesla account. Apparently these wall connectors are "destination chargers" now capable of billing.
This is apparently a new feature of Tesla. That is fine to do, but there was no notification of billing or rates.

There were no signs about billing (bad apartment owner),
but more importantly, there was no indication on the wall connector itself or on the car display saying you are going to be billed (bad on Tesla's part).

I find it shady that it is possible for a normal-looking wall charger to be able to automatically bill drivers without notification.
I have no idea what rate I was charged, and since there is auto-acceptance, it seems the apartment could have charged whatever they wanted.
If that's the case, I'd like to move my wall connector closer to the street, and auto-bill at $100 per hour.

This should be fixed - the car display should pop up a message. "This wall connector bills at a rate of $1 per kwh. Do you want to continue?" YES button, NO button.

Until then, be wary of charging on someone else's wall connector.

At an apartment complex, there are a bunch of wall connectors (like what is in the tesla store).

On my last visit, I was billed $1.50 to my Tesla account. Apparently these wall connectors are "destination chargers" now capable of billing.
This is apparently a new feature of Tesla. That is fine to do, but there was no notification of billing or rates.

but more importantly, there was no indication on the wall connector itself or on the car display saying you are going to be billed (bad on Tesla's part).

I find it shady that it is possible for a normal-looking wall charger to be able to automatically bill drivers without notification.
I have no idea what rate I was charged, and since there is auto-acceptance, it seems the apartment could have charged whatever they wanted.
If that's the case, I'd like to move my wall connector closer to the street, and auto-bill at $100 per hour.

This should be fixed - the car display should pop up a message. "This wall connector bills at a rate of $1 per kwh. Do you want to continue?" YES button, NO button.

Do you live in this apartment complex ?

Reactions: AquaY
Wow. Thank you for letting us know this is happening now. We had heard this was something Tesla was looking into and probably planning to do, but I had not heard there was an implementation of it yet. I find it confusing/angering that they rolled out this software feature before circuit sharing!!

But yes, that is definitely wrong to have auto-billing without any form of notification with a choice to accept or decline.

And did you contact the Manager to inquire about the practice? If you don't live in the apartment complex, why would you think the chargers are open to non-residents?

(I visit Sunnyvale frequently and there are several SuperChargers available in area.)
This apartment complex has other wall connectors behind the locked parking gate for residents. The wall connector I used was in the open parking area, labelled Guest EV Parking. I am a guest, and it was free for at least 3-4 months. I wasn't even aware that a that home wall charger unit could be capable of billing.

I don't visit very often, and it's not that important to me to spend time complaining to the manager about putting up signs or whatever.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The car display already has a 'message' and its in teh NAV where it shows available Chargers. Just hit the button on the screen and available Chargers pop up on the map.
This does not show up as available chargers on the map. I only found out because I was a guest, and when I went to the guest parking there were a few wall chargers there.

FYI: this is an article describing the ability to charge using gen 3 wall connectors..

The problem is there is no way to distinguish between wall connectors that are free and those that bill automatically.
Nor is there a way to see the rates - like with all other non-tesla chargers.

Abit late, but do you mind sharing a breakdown of the billing?

Is it 0.29 c / kwh?

It was 25 cents per "something", then 6 of those, for $1.50 total.

It doesn't specify the "something", I guess it's Kwh?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 12.12.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 12.12.36 PM.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,453
If this is indeed still in development, perhaps you've stumbled upon a Tesla Engineer's test installation. It wouldn't be too surprising for a development prototype installed "at home" especially given the current work-from-home. Maybe the engineer forgot to switch off the configuration after some testing or maybe they're doing a live test.

huh? you're complaining because you plugged your car into some random connector and were charged for it?