TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Getting coal rolled in Eureka CA

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Blucenturion, Sep 27, 2019.

1. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

Lock him in a cell and pump that soot right back in there

2. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

Looks like it was intentional to me, the pause at the green with him clearly gunning it in neutral then the slight veer to the right side of the lane while gunning it, twice! then back to the other side or center of the lane, too many instances to be innocent, IMHO.

• Like x 2
  3. cpa

cpa Active Member

Read up on how Oregon became a state, and pay particular attention to how the citizens voted on statehood, property ownership, and race. Oregon's territorial attorney general also had some choice words for Congress.

Not much has changed since 1859 for many of its citizens.

One question that I have:

When I lived in Shasta County thirty-five years ago, it was quite common for residents of Shasta and Siskiyou Counties to buy their vehicles in Oregon. First, no sales tax. Second, the registration fees were peanuts. All it took was a good friend or relative who lived in Oregon for the address of record, yet these owners were bona fide residents of California. I suspect that this behavior hasn't changed much, and that Humboldt and Del Norte Counties experience this same behavior. It is quite possible that this perp is in fact a California resident.

CHP used to investigate those scofflaws and slap them with large penalties for not registering their vehicles in California. I am not sure that they pursue this function with much priority in recent years. But I live in Fresno County, and perhaps this is too far south to be on their radar, even though I have reported two residents in the neighborhood with Montana and Nebraska plates who have lived here over three years.

4. T3SLAROD

T3SLAROD Member

Usually I just go past them and don’t give them enough time to pull their antics.... it’s hilarious watching them trying to catch up

5. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

6. vikefan

vikefan Member

California has the strictest emissions standards in the country JFYI

7. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

8. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

all that waste of perfectly good diesel

• Like x 1
  9. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

Absolutely illegal. In order to get them to smoke like that, you need to remove federally mandated emissions components and tune the computer to run a non-emissions-compliant program.

10. 67King

67King Member

Good thing I drive better than I type. Unless I did that with my phone, in which case the autocorrect is horribly unpredictable.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

I don’t think that was coal rolled. Just normal *sugar* coming out. Still illegal. I’ve read it’s way worse than that if you get coal rolled. Like soot stuck all over your car. He might be capable of that, but it didn’t look like it to me.

12. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

That was intentional, depends on how far the mods went on the truck to “role more coal” the more aggressive the mods and tune are then the more unburnt fuel can be sent out the exhaust

13. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

If you report will they flag the guy when he is due for registration?

14. KenC

KenC Active Member

Has anyone tested how bad something like that is? I mean, would a coal rolling truck NOx emissions be equal to 100 normal diesel trucks? It always seems to me that getting one super polluter off the road would be a far more efficient way to address vehicle emissions.

15. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

It is absolutely illegal in CA no matter what part.

16. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Well-Known Member

I don't think he hates Teslas. If you notice, the worse one was right after he drove by the gas station sign advertising diesel for $4.00/$4.20 cash/credit. Since he's out of cash each month, he has to charge it.

It's painful paying $4.20/gallon when you only get 9 MPG overall. He was just letting out his own frustrations. :D And probably a bit of the previously suggested small weenie syndrome.

• Funny x 1
  17. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

NOx emissions and visible soot are not directly correlated.

18. fajitamondays

fajitamondays Supporting Member

Funny story, my other vehicle is a 1996 Ford F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. 340,000+ miles, and it admittedly has its fair share of smoky moments due to worn injectors (stock).

Do they make "My other car is a Tesla" stickers?

• Funny x 1