Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready to buy my first Tesla... What to know...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! you are going to love it. Drives very smooth. Which model 3 are you getting?
You will need to buy floor matts as it does not come with it.
I got mine in February, Just watch some videos in regards to build quality so that way before pick up you can make sure everything looks good as some have had issues with build quality. Mine was good.
Can you link which build quality videos you watched?

I just got a new job that is 50 miles away from my house. I don't have a home charger or anything.
I currently drive a C7 Corvette year round here in RI.
I will not be selling the vette, just adding a Model 3 to the stable.

I plan to buy new.

Is there any advice or things I should know about the car before buying?
Reliability?
Quirks?
Anything at all....

I plan to only use the car to get to work and back. C7 will be used for everything else.
Getting a quote for a car charger to be installed in my garage on Friday.

Thanks for any insights and help that can be provided!
Solve both of your desires with a Tesla Plaid… Can go shopping, pick up your kids from school, go to work and race track knowing that no one can ever beat you 😲🤣😂 and save money..

Reactions: RedModel3
am in the same boat… getting ready to purchase my first MYLR but live up in Pacific North West, so weather a bit more mild. Here’s my scenario.

Will maybe put 10 miles on a day, some days not drive at all. (Wife and I both work from home now) May put on 100 – 150 miles over the weekend.

Tesla says to put in a 60amp circuit for their home charging, which I plan to do but not sure if that’s the best approach since going to a lower amp will surely work.

Should I charge 80 – 90% and wait until it gets close to 20% before recharge? Do I have to charge every night if I can go a week without a charge? Which is better for longevity of the batter…. Calendar degradation definitely not on my side compared to miles put on.

am in the same boat… getting ready to purchase my first MYLR but live up in Pacific North West, so weather a bit more mild. Here’s my scenario.

Will maybe put 10 miles on a day, some days not drive at all. (Wife and I both work from home now) May put on 100 – 150 miles over the weekend.

Should I charge 80 – 90% and wait until it gets close to 20% before recharge? Do I have to charge every night if I can go a week without a charge? Which is better for longevity of the batter…. Calendar degradation definitely not on my side compared to miles put on.
If you want to minimize degradation with an NCA battery, charge to 55% as needed for your 10 mile days. For your weekends, charge to whatever is needed to avoid range anxiety. Use departure charging (to finish as late as possible before you drive away) to reduce the time spent parked at higher states of charge.

Tesla says to put in a 60amp circuit for their home charging, which I plan to do but not sure if that’s the best approach since going to a lower amp will surely work.

I’m looking at getting a Tesla wall charger too but I believe that while it can go on a 60 amp circuit (derate to 48 amp continuous), you can put it on less say 40 amp (32 continuous). I have been using a 120v , 15 amp circuit and get 30 miles overnight so with 240v, 32 amp, I will still get over 5x what I get now.

Reactions: Don.Church
I just got a new job that is 50 miles away from my house. I don't have a home charger or anything.
I currently drive a C7 Corvette year round here in RI.
I will not be selling the vette, just adding a Model 3 to the stable.

I plan to buy new.

Is there any advice or things I should know about the car before buying?
Reliability?
Quirks?
Anything at all....

I plan to only use the car to get to work and back. C7 will be used for everything else.
Getting a quote for a car charger to be installed in my garage on Friday.

Thanks for any insights and help that can be provided!
Great commuter, bad dealership and service in general i guess. Installation of the Tesla charger is quite easy, check some vids at worst, but the manuel is very straitforward . Hope you have a good one with nice fit & finish, mine is 2018 and i was lucky, all is well ajusted, and since then i hope they're doing better. The vette is probably going to take a Pre retirement

I have a 2018 Long Range All Wheel Drive and love it, best car I have ever owned and it is not even close but I am in tech so...

The only regrets I personally have is paying for the 19" wheels and not getting a Performance car for Track Mode.

I had an electrician install a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage on a 50amp breaker and I charge at 38mph with the gen 1 mobile charger.

What else... if flaws in your paint bother you get some PPF installed at least in the front, also it is a-lot of glass so ceramic tint is another popular aftermarket add.

The faster charger is nice, but I've got two Teslas and we alternate charging the cars on a 120V 15A standard household plug. The 120V 15A plug can provide 5 mph or add 60 miles in 12 hours.

For charging, read the manual. Listen to Tesla and don't worry about what others say. Tesla designs the battery to take whatever you throw at it and some recent numbers indicated only 12% degradation on the battery used in the Model X or Model S.

You said you were thinking the low-end M3. I have that one (M3 RWD with the LFP battery). I think this is the perfect “commuter” model …. And your 100 mile round trip is well within range (hot or cold weather). With the LFP battery, you can just charge it up to 100% every night and precondition before heading out in the morning. Easy-peasy ….. hardly have to think about it at all. And definitely install the home charger.

Like others have said, you will love it. I love both of mine (zero issues, zero maintenance other than rotating tires myself).

Get the biggest battery that you can afford. You never know
where you want to go in it.
I worked at a camper dealer. The owner had a large GMC truck that he towed with. It had the standard 20-30 gal tank, I think dual 30 gal saddle tanks, and probably 50 gal bed tank.
He had the biggest tanks that could exist.

I had to take the truck to do something one day. It gave out of gas 100 yards from the dealer.
Biggest isn't always best.

Bigger batteries cost more and take longer to charge.
Some people are sensitive to price.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Get the biggest battery that you can afford. You never know
where you want to go in it.
Bigger is better usually, but the question of $1M is: it's worth it ?

1683831337166.png

From this video :

Last edited:
Reactions: mark02115
I just had a wall charger installed this week. Our install was the worst case scenerio. Required a new subpanel, moving an existing circuit into the new panel, a very difficult 120 foot run from the main panel on the opposite end of the house. Total cost was $2156.

The best case scenerio would have been about $750 if I didn't have every factor working against me.

The faster charger is nice, but I've got two Teslas and we alternate charging the cars on a 120V 15A standard household plug. The 120V 15A plug can provide 5 mph or add 60 miles in 12 hours.

For charging, read the manual. Listen to Tesla and don't worry about what others say. Tesla designs the battery to take whatever you throw at it and some recent numbers indicated only 12% degradation on the battery used in the Model X or Model S.
I agree. I am starting to have battery anxiety and don't even have the car yet.... maybe not an issue for most people, they'll buy a tesla, and then get rid of it within a few years. I typically hold on to my vehicle for much longer. Heck, I still have my 2003 F250 7.3 Diesel that I bought new back in the day. Only have 148k on it and will last pretty much longer than I will. When I try to put EV's into the same category from a longevity standpoint, then the battery fatigue / anxiety sets in. :(

Reactions: mark02115
I agree. I am starting to have battery anxiety and don't even have the car yet.... maybe not an issue for most people, they'll buy a tesla, and then get rid of it within a few years. I typically hold on to my vehicle for much longer. Heck, I still have my 2003 F250 7.3 Diesel that I bought new back in the day. Only have 148k on it and will last pretty much longer than I will. When I try to put EV's into the same category from a longevity standpoint, then the battery fatigue / anxiety sets in. :(
Meh. I have a 2017 MS 90D purchased new that still gets 272 miles on a charge (from 294) with almost 100k miles. Drive it in Michigan winters and traveled throughout US and Canada and it does just fine.

In winter, just be sure to precondition before unplugging. That does help.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverGoingBack
…I am starting to have battery anxiety and don't even have the car yet.... When I try to put EV's into the same category from a longevity standpoint, then the battery fatigue / anxiety sets in. :(
People who don’t own EVs suffer from much more battery anxiety than actual owners, in my experience…