Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting two NEMA 14-50 estimates on Tuesday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI Everyone,

I am having two electricians coming over on Tuesday to give me estimates on the cost of installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage near my main box. I am not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing so I wanted to ask if it is needed or required to get permits before having this outlet installed? If it is required I will get it done, but was also wondering why it is needed.

One of the electricians is a recommended electrician from Tesla's website. I am not thinking the cost should be too high as the outlet could go right where my breaker box is thought I would like it installed between my two garage doors so I could park in either spot and still charge. We will see how it goes and thanks in advance!!!

Parts for a 14-50 installed within a few feed of a circuit breaker box should be $40-$100 (Home Depot pricing)

Plus labor - $100-$300

Plus permit. I wouldn’t recommend skipping the permit. It will be $100-$200 and it protects you if there is a problem. First, the inspector may notice and have a problem corrected. Second, it helps with liability if there is an undiscovered issue.

May vary greatly based on your area.

Edit to add- now is the least expensive time to put it exactly where you want.

@brkaus thanks for the quick response. Attached is a pic of where I would be parking my car. To the right is where my main box is and that is probably the easiest and cheapest place to have it installed but I would prefer to have it installed by where my golf clubs are.

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 157
@brkaus thanks for the quick response. Attached is a pic of where I would be parking my car. To the right is where my main box is and that is probably the easiest and cheapest place to have it installed but I would prefer to have it installed by where my golf clubs are.

I had this immediately below my breaker box. $50 in parts. Used it for 6 months. Eventually paid to have it where I really wanted it.

Attachments

• FBCC2047-67F7-4960-ADF3-4745F1DD256F.jpeg
    FBCC2047-67F7-4960-ADF3-4745F1DD256F.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 133
Just make sure they install the outlet with the ground plug up. Mine installed it upside down, and I had to rotate it later myself (which can be difficult, if the wiring doesn’t have enough slack).

I am having two electricians coming over on Tuesday to give me estimates on the cost of installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage near my main box. I am not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing so I wanted to ask if it is needed or required to get permits before having this outlet installed? If it is required I will get it done, but was also wondering why it is needed.

In most places, you are required to have a permit for any additions to your electrical system. Adding a new receptacle would count. Your profile says you're in Pittsburgh, so here's a document from the City of Pittsburgh that lists what work does not require a permit:

http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/Standard_Permit_Application_Requirements.pdf

Either side of the garage door is a super easy install as long as you don’t mind the conduit. Like the others have said this should be about an hour labor.

My panel is on the exterior of the garage. I had my NEMA14-50 installed on the interior of the garage within 2 feet of the 200 amp panel box. Total cost was $250 ($100 materials, $150 labor). Price for labor will vary depending on your local market. Yes, be sure the ground is in the up position!

My panel is connected to my Solar City panels on my roof. No "fuel" cost for my car, YIPPEE!
t2712.gif

Last edited:
Just a heads-up: if your panel does not have enough room for another circuit, you'll have to add a sub-panel, which will cost 2-3x. For example, my house only has a a100 amp panel with one circuit free. to add 240 to the garage, we needed 2 free circuits, so the electiricn had to add a sub-panel first. Total time was 3+ hours for two guys (as I wanted to run the conduit thru the crawl space.

I would want an electrician who follows building codes and pulls permits if required.

Only because you don't know anything about building or electricians. The people who always advise for electrical permits do so because of "feelings". I don't advise based on feelings, but rather on understanding the work involved and the electrical trade. It is far riskier to drive on the interstate at 80 mph than it is to hire an established electrician to put in a plug without a permit.

Are you aware that in most of the developed world, including Germany, that there is no permit for this work?

• Disagree
Reactions: hoang51 and Runt8
@electracity I believe quite a few localities require permits for this type of work. I believe my locality requires this too so I think the smart play is to be better safe than sorry...especially since I know nothing about how to do this sort of work. I would also think a certified electrician would want to follow the proper procedures of his trade. I mean, what if something were to go wrong...then what? Or even something simpler...if I wanted to sell my house I would believe a prospective buyer, during an inspection, would want to know if I got a permit to have an outlet like that installed.

I would not let an electrician in the house if I thought he needed an inspection on such a simple job. Do you pull a permit when you have a plumber in the house?
Someone needs to run that numbers to be sure your panel has enough spare capacity. You don't want to discover that it doesn't after the installation.
My 14-50 cost about $1800, with a 100-foot run from the panel to the garage.
Robin