Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Give up your Model 3 .

Will you buy Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely to only get 1 Model 3 instead of 2. Will hang onto my Model S and upgrade to the S after the 18650's are phased out to get into the latest gen battery tech. Either way this news won't drive me away from Tesla, it makes me want a garage full of Tesla's even more!

Likely to only get 1 Model 3 instead of 2. Will hang onto my Model S and upgrade to the S after the 18650's are phased out to get into the latest gen battery tech. Either way this news won't drive me away from Tesla, it makes me want a garage full of Tesla's even more!
For those who need more storage space, if you believe information from Tesla, you can get one Model 3 for every day driving, and a second one to follow your first one in FSD mode as a "hitch-less trailer" for those times you need to carry more people or luggage. According to the Tesla website FSD description you should be fine to hail the second M3 to meet you when it's needed as long as it's for friends and family (and presumably their luggage).

RideHailing.png

I'm going to ask this here, only because I haven't seen anyone talk about it yet (and admittedly have not looked that hard but it's somewhat relevant anyway). I keep seeing that the Model 3 doesn't have auto-presenting door handles. What's up with those door handles then? They certainly look like they're flush with the car when I see any picture of the Model 3. I can't imagine they have automatic doors like the Model X, and we know they don't have presenting handles like the Model S. How do these things work? Having them pop in and out manually seems silly.

I will stick with S/X for now.

I am honestly a little dismayed about the Model 3 now. I was hoping P75D for Model 3 but that seems not happening this year.

I am used to the speedometer screen and Model 3 seems somewhat lacking. I guess it's just me.

No dual motors until next year, too.

I might get a new Model X in the near future since FUSC is back.

Then I am eyeing on the new Roadster. 0-60 under 2 seconds maybe?

Until then, I gotta work my butt off to make good amount of dispensable income.

It seems like I will fill my garage with Tesla's!

Reactions: Xiao ma ge
im hard-pressed to find any other changes/additions they could make. Thought the free-supercharging was a big one already.

The automatic Model X doors would be a nice upgrade to the S. Everyone seems to be clamoring for a HUD. If anyone in Tesla marketing is paying any attention, the sentiment seems that people here would pay 35k for that.

I'm going to ask this here, only because I haven't seen anyone talk about it yet (and admittedly have not looked that hard but it's somewhat relevant anyway). I keep seeing that the Model 3 doesn't have auto-presenting door handles. What's up with those door handles then? They certainly look like they're flush with the car when I see any picture of the Model 3. I can't imagine they have automatic doors like the Model X, and we know they don't have presenting handles like the Model S. How do these things work? Having them pop in and out manually seems silly.
https://model3ownersclub.com/media/model-3-door-handle-animation.99/full

Reactions: RAW84
I honestly think most people are blowing this out of proportion. Firstly, this was started as an internal document (which it is not now), but any company would want a comparison between two products. Honestly this is great because I so often go to companies websites to compare products and they do a HORRIBLE job. This is nice.

Secondly, this really is comparing a high end BMW/Mercedes to a fully loaded Toyota. As a CPO purchaser there was NO way I could EVER afford a new model s or x...EVER. Yet I could afford a model 3. I would argue that probably 90% of the model 3 reservations couldn't afford a new model s or model x. This targets that last 10%. And it really has some valid points and good comparison. I don't see this as a "don't buy the model 3" I see this as a REAL comparison with no frills or anything (unlike a dealership whom would push you in whatever direction). This is just plain facts and if the facts look biased one way or another - well - when you compare a luxury vehicle to a mass market general vehicle - yea I expected to see all of this.

I am 100% ok with this graphic and think it really serves its purpose. I don't think there was any malicious intent on Tesla, I think they just wanted a fact-base comparison. Although, the biggest comparison is the price - which probably people considering the 3 or the S are well aware of.

Reactions: MXWing
If Model 3 is a reliable EV, it'll be my next car.

Tesla wants to sell you Model S - because it has a higher profit margin and it can sell you Model S today.

Tesla wants to discourage you from buying Model 3 because frankly ramping up production to support that number of cars is not only very complicated and expensive, but also begs the question - what do you do with all that production capacity, once the wait times have come down to a few weeks?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is followed with a higher than expected Model 3 price, and a lowering of Model S price.
I'm not so sure the profit margins will be all that different if Tesla gets it way. Their new CFO agrees wholeheartedly.

Tesla’s gross margin on the Model 3 could be a game changer in the auto industry

@wcfinvader - except Elon ruled out that possibility.

With current batteries yes it is impossible. How would it be impossible in the newer battery versions which are said to be 20% extra energy dense. Logically if they can use those batteries it will result in longer range. Now if the battery pack is not able to fit that cell type then yes it would be impossible. I've not seen any evidence that they wouldn't be able to use those cells.

We should find out this year either way though. Model 3 has been rumored to use the next generation batteries so I don't see why they would allow a "cheaper" car to run more energy dense batteries.