Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Give up your Model 3 .

Will you buy Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lucid is talking an optional 130 kWh battery (of course, not in production yet). It seems with battery advancements a higher capacity is inevitable. It would be nice for a range that compares well or exceeds ICE. Especially nice for those in cold climates.

@wcfinvader - I don't know man, ask Elon.
Also I just don't feel that a lot of people would be willing to pay a premium for 120kwh.
People seem to want better interiors and build quality more than range that they never use.

Elon has an incentive to NOT tell us about coming larger packs because that could cause people to wait instead of buying now. Look how well the 100 KWh pack is selling. It appears people will pay for longer range. We did when we bought ours and if I was in the market for another one I'd want the largest battery. All other options are much less important compared to battery size.

This coming from someone who drives their Classic S over 40,000 miles per year. Someone who drives less would have a different opinion than me. Larger batteries should last longer because the degradation has a long way to go before it becomes unusable for daily driving compared to a smaller pack plus each cell is cycled less.

@wcfinvader - well you drive a lot. And you live in Nebraska which isn't known for supercharger density. You are not the usual Tesla owner. Majority Tesla owners are on coasts, where superchargers are plenty and most drivers drive 10-20K miles a year. But I can see why battery would be a big deal to you. To me, I got the smallest battery I could, only wishing I could go even smaller. Range just has never been an issue.

Reactions: ABVA
Both cars have their place. It will be a tough transition for Tesla. Both keeping from Osborning the S while people wait for the 3, and balancing the production lines to produce the right amount of each.

The S is a different car. BMW had 3/5 series. They both survive just fine.

It isn't about features, although they will probably differentiate by features for a while to keep the S selling while the 3 ramps. Longer term, I would expect the features to balance out. Long term, it's about car size.

Wow... I absolutely don't like that based on the video. Maybe it'll be a bit nicer in person. I'll admit to being completely impressed by the automatic handles in the S though... I've actually had numerous people ask me at stop lights how I get in the car with no handles!

Imagine how many less S would sell if the 3 had the X door handles and automatic closing systems?

Wow... I absolutely don't like that based on the video. Maybe it'll be a bit nicer in person. I'll admit to being completely impressed by the automatic handles in the S though... I've actually had numerous people ask me at stop lights how I get in the car with no handles!
I dunno... seems like a nice compromise to me. The advantages of flush door handles (aerodynamics, coolness) without the cost and complexity of the automatic ones.

Imagine how many less S would sell if the 3 had the X door handles and automatic closing systems?
Lol, when I read this immediately thought to myself " this guy lives in CA". Had to rotate the my phone to confirm. If you live in a place with constant sunshine, you don't mind waiting however many seconds the X wings take to open, even if they have to retry on occasion. When their is rain pouring on your head, the X doors seem like forever before they open. So, to counter your argument with a single example, Tesla sold me a Model S instead of a Model X in very large part due to the X doors. And I've been waiting for a Model X since 2013 too, so I was rather excited when it finally came out.

I'm sure you guessed where I live before looking at my location.;)

Reactions: MXWing
Lol, when I read this immediately thought to myself " this guy lives in CA". Had to rotate the my phone to confirm. If you live in a place with constant sunshine, you don't mind waiting however many seconds the X wings take to open, even if they have to retry on occasion. When their is rain pouring on your head, the X doors seem like forever before they open. So, to counter your argument with a single example, Tesla sold me a Model S instead of a Model X in very large part due to the X doors. And I've been waiting for a Model X since 2013 too, so I was rather excited when it finally came out.

I'm sure you guessed where I live before looking at my location.;)

I should have been more clear. :)

When I meant the fancy X doors, I meant everything EXCEPT the FWD. :D :D :D :D :D

1 - Flush handles you push in.
2 - You can tug on driver/pass door handles to close.
3 - You can step on brakes to close the doors.
4 - You can use the touch screen to close the doors

When all said and done, I can understand why Elon wants customers to order a MS instead of a 3, but to be honest no one can expect to buy a 3 and get all the same goodies for half the price it's like comparing a Merc S class with an A class.

I am almost certain Tesla will have options in the M3 in time that will push it past the $70k price point, but for now it's all about shortening the Q for the model 3

Reactions: Zythryn
I should have been more clear. :)

When I meant the fancy X doors, I meant everything EXCEPT the FWD. :D :D :D :D :D

1 - Flush handles you push in.
2 - You can tug on driver/pass door handles to close.
3 - You can step on brakes to close the doors.
4 - You can use the touch screen to close the doors

The motorized option is definitely a nice to have (personally I would love to be able to close all doors via a button when the kids run out and forget to close the door or don't close all the way), but I still would rather it came with real handles in addition to self-presenting. Having to educate any passengers not familiar with no handle who may choose to grab the glass (especially if one doens't have self-presenting doors option) just seems like a hassle. For our purposes I would have to disable auto-present anyways (2 Teslas in a garage parked one forwards and one backwards with just enough space between them to open either driver's side door, but not both at the same time - if you tried you'd break glass as they happen to collide at top of the glass), so I wouldn't see the value in the $4.5K PUP package.

I haven't experienced the M3 handles, so I don't have a firm opinion on those. They don't look like something I would love but I reserve judgement until I experience them in person. While I do get the need for cost optimized handles for the M3 though, I don't understand how can those be cheaper that X "button" handles (which do not require self-presenting doors since it is an option even on the X). I wonder whether the M3 handles are all mechanical (actually pull levers to unlatch the door).