Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Given a potential Model S, are we expecting AutoPilot v2 hardware with it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting for a refresh like many, but I also know that AutoPilot v2 is on the horizon, likely with Model 3. Does it make sense for Tesla to refresh Model S w/ AutoPilot v1, and then do v2 later (in line with the Model 3 part 2 unveil) or should we expect AutoPilot v2 with a refresh? Thoughts?

I would not expect V2 anytime soon. There is a fair amount of things that need to happen:
  • V2 HW needs to be tested and validated--even if they just use MobileEye HW, they still need to do their own testing
  • The SW needs to be written/re-written to take advantage of new HW--considering they are still tweaking SW for V1 and how lean Tesla seems to run, it may not make much sense to split effort to start working on V2
  • New HW will likely require some amount of interior and exterior redesign to accommodate the new gear, wiring, etc then supply chain need to ramp up
Beyond all that, there would be host of angry new Model X owners. I'd say V2 is maybe a year out--I think they will intro it in the S/X first and get the bugs out before the 3 launches.

Agreed. As much as I want V2, I don't see that as a likely introduction with the "refresh" because the recent X deliveries. I imagine they want everything delivered and stabilized before they release autopilot V2.

Thanks Erik

If they are going to use new chips for V2 then it is still a ways off, if they are going to daisy chain current generation chips then it could be feasible sooner. There is news that Tesla has been hiring chip designer to do autonomous features in-house instead of using mobileye.

I'm thinking AP V2 is quite a ways off, and will roll out on the X and S when the 3 hits. What better way to differentiate the gap by offering full AP on your top end cars, beta test with high end buyers, then roll out to model 3 when sales die down of model 3.

Elon said AP is standard on model 3, but didn't say AP2 by this time will be standard. He also cleverly mentions AP safety features will be included standard, which at least for USA buyers, auto emergency braking will be required by law at this time for new car manufacturers.