Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm betting on them pushing an update to lower the exposure or color contrast to lower the impact. The new designed blinker would be the perfect fix but I can't see them replacing 80K plus blinkers.

Hmm, in my case they already replaiced one of them with a different occasion. Some other people are saying they do not have the issue, only one of the blinker shows this or the extend of the problem is less or more. So, most likely Tesla knew about this and we have no clue about how many cars are affected. A software contrast change will not fix this (at least hard to believe in my case it will) and more so, it will be noticable when comparing the two.
My service appointement is in three weeks from now, let's see...
My car is one of the early 2021 models delivered late 2020 in EU (made in US). Both caleras had that glare effect when blinking the light and I kind of thought that is crap but took it as is. However, the camera on the left repeater “decided to die” some time ago and Tesla replace it in 5-10 minutes with a mobile service. Well, since then, the left one is super clear compared with right – only noticed some good time after the service I mentioned. With the latest controversial UI update and the functionality to display blind spot cameras this glare effect becomes annoying on the right side. I now have a mobile service appointment for Tesla to look at that camera as well.
The color of the car is Midnight Gray but I strongly believe the glare we experience has nothing to do with it. The light itself on the repeaters left vs right look slightly different if analyzed closely but not easy to catch it on a camera or so.

My car is one of the early 2021 models delivered late 2020 in EU (made in US). Both caleras had that glare effect when blinking the light and I kind of thought that is crap but took it as is. However, the camera on the left repeater “decided to die” some time ago and Tesla replace it in 5-10 minutes with a mobile service. Well, since then, the left one is super clear compared with right – only noticed some good time after the service I mentioned. With the latest controversial UI update and the functionality to display blind spot cameras this glare effect becomes annoying on the right side. I now have a mobile service appointment for Tesla to look at that camera as well.
The color of the car is Midnight Gray but I strongly believe the glare we experience has nothing to do with it. The light itself on the repeaters left vs right look slightly different if analyzed closely but not easy to catch it on a camera or so.

Holy crap I watched that video thinking "ok when is he going to turn the left indicator on to compare" but looking more closely I can see you had the hazard lights on and its just not blowing out the camera on the side that was replaced.

I'm planning on opening a service request to get mine replaced (March 2020 M3P). Not anticipating they will do it under warranty but I will be pushing for that, especially as I paid for FSD - I will argue that this would undermine its abilities. If it's anything like the rear lights getting condensation in them I would imagine service centres will be more amenable to replacing them until such time as Tesla hears about people asking for them to get replaced en masse and issues an edict telling them to tell customers that it's "within spec".

For what it's worth - I've seen people talk about shrouds etc. I don't think the chrome / dechrome has any bearing on it. I think there is either light bleed inside the assembly, or quite simply that they've changed the indicator design to be more diffused instead of - for example - one or more bright LEDs. The lip that was added when the cameras were changed to dechromed is there to deflect rain from the camera (another improvement), the indicator actually sits below this lip, so a shroud would achieve nothing.

For what it's worth - I've seen people talk about shrouds etc. I don't think the chrome / dechrome has any bearing on it. I think there is either light bleed inside the assembly, or quite simply that they've changed the indicator design to be more diffused instead of - for example - one or more bright LEDs. The lip that was added when the cameras were changed to dechromed is there to deflect rain from the camera (another improvement), the indicator actually sits below this lip, so a shroud would achieve nothing.
If it's light bleed into the unit, it should be easy
to check by completely covering the outside of the light assembly with black electrical tape.

I didn't include a shroud as one of my three main upgrade pathways, as by the time you designed and produced it, it would probably also need a piece of fiber optic to change where the light exited. It wouldn't cost $150 US, but it probably wouldn't be $20 either. If Tesla can't come up with coding solution, the cameras need to be upgraded. It's worth asking for coverage under warranty but I don't see Tesla agreeing to that. It affects too many vehicles and the blind spot option is new. They could just say the option is not intended for older cars.

We just did a light bleed test and that's conclusive. I'm going to tear down one of the units to find the root cause but that's largely pointless because it's a sealed unit so nobody in warranty will want to carry out a DIY fix, and those out of warranty would probably find it too difficult to do but it's just interesting for me to see what's happening. Maybe we'll find a way to do it which isn't too destructive? I'll know in a few days.

Here's the result with the camera blacked out.
camera bleed.jpg

The gaffer tape is over the top of a thinner black adhesive tape you can't see clearly in the photo, so it may look like the top of the camera lens isn't covered, but it is. I can't think of an easy software fix for this but maybe the clever people at Tesla will.

Last edited:
Yeah I read someone on a Reddit thread also taped it up with electrical tape and it made no difference. People had speculated that it was something to do with reflections off the chrome, but it's definitely not that - not least of which because, like you, I have dechromed mine and even early 2021 people with factory black parts have the same problem to a greater or lesser extent.

It seems only fairly recently have parts been changed, perhaps internally, to resolve this problem.

I think there have been a few redesigns of this part. The EPC lists a couple of variations with very different part numbers which is telling. Not just revisions but possibly complete internal re-designs using different suppliers maybe? Like the taillight condensation video I did for the Tesla Gurus YT channel, it's possible I can work out a DIY fix to help those who can't get a warranty/goodwill fix done by Tesla. I'll make a video of my findings anyway just so we can all understand the issue.

If I can keep more parts out of the WEEE bin, I'll feel I've achieved something.

Reactions: Durzel
Yeah you're right. Different variations on the EPC, and that's probably not including ones they've removed as obsolete (the chrome ones aren't there, I don't think):

Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 15.51.22.png

I'm curious to know which of those is the latest. Logically it would be the one with the higher numeric part code part, but I don't think it's as simple a that. Visually I can't see any difference between the two.

(as an aside the EPC lists "side repeater trim" in both chrome and "carbon black", yet I'm not aware of it being a trim piece)

The trim part is a bit odd but it might be possible to replace that on its own. Once I have a proper play with one it might be more obvious.
If they are up to rev J on one of those part numbers, that's quite a few revisions.

We just did a light bleed test and that's conclusive. I'm going to tear down one of the units to find the root cause but that's largely pointless because it's a sealed unit so nobody in warranty will want to carry out a DIY fix, and those out of warranty would probably find it too difficult to do but it's just interesting for me to see what's happening. Maybe we'll find a way to do it which isn't too destructive? I'll know in a few days.

View attachment 751779

The gaffer tape is over the top of a thinner black adhesive tape you can't see clearly in the photo, so it may look like the top of the camera lens isn't covered, but it is. I can't think of an easy software fix for this but maybe the clever people at Tesla will.
Good work. That indicates that the problem might be caused by a manufacturing defect and if so, it should be covered under warranty.

Reactions: Tevo Solutions

View attachment 751779

You nail it! It's either an electrical interference between the camera wires and blinker or the housing of the camera lettign some light going inside. I believe is the latter one. Tesla should accept it under warranty as we also use this when we reverse with hazzard lights on!

Reactions: Tevo Solutions
I will... It really is a test for me to see what they will do. It's annoying this time of year with the shorter days. I get it in morning drive, and when I work my evening job the drive home with traffic at night is practically useless the way it is right now.

during the day I love it, no complaints, even with the less than optimal placement. Something is better than nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Just noticed that I posted my thoughts in a Model Y forum (we don't have MYs in the UK yet).

In the USA EPC for MY, there's only two part codes that I can see for them:

4LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LH1495864-20-DUnrestricted(VIN)11
4LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RH1495865-20-DUnrestricted(VIN)11

(I'm pretty sure the LH one should be "3", not two 4s, in the exploded diagram it's "3")

The plot thickens!

Reactions: kayak1
Just noticed that I posted my thoughts in a Model Y forum (we don't have MYs in the UK yet).

In the USA EPC for MY, there's only two part codes that I can see for them:

4LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LH1495864-20-DUnrestricted(VIN)11
4LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RH1495865-20-DUnrestricted(VIN)11

(I'm pretty sure the LH one should be "3", not two 4s, in the exploded diagram it's "3")

The plot thickens!
MY was available with chrome trim I think? So difference can't just be because there's a mix of chrome and black trim out there now presumably?

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel