Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof and tinted windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is cross beam support needed?

So Tesla can continue to ace it's crash safety tests.

Construct the car as if it were a convertible. Then slap some glass on top. Convertibles obviously don't need support. Why would non-convertibles then need all of these a,b and c columns and beams?

Convertibles sacrifice the roof for structural rigidity but modern ones have rollover bars behind rear headrests so necks and skulls stay relatively intact in case the car flips.
Front occupants need to rely on the metal frame holding the front windshield, which would already conflict with implementing a windshield like the model X.

The glass roof option on the Model 3 seems like it would follow a design similar to the Fiat 500 soft top (only with glass in place of the fabric)

So Tesla can continue to ace it's crash safety tests.

Convertibles sacrifice the roof for structural rigidity but modern ones have rollover bars behind rear headrests so necks and skulls stay relatively intact in case the car flips.
Front occupants need to rely on the metal frame holding the front windshield, which would already conflict with implementing a windshield like the model X.

The glass roof option on the Model 3 seems like it would follow a design similar to the Fiat 500 soft top (only with glass in place of the fabric)
How much structural rigidity does one need? I don't plan on rolling over lol

I just ordered a model S 90D in black. I would really like dark tinted windows. However, I also ordered the glass roof. Should I tent the roof? Would that look funny if it was not tinted?

View attachment 203993

I live in Arizona, so there's a little more of a heat rejection problem here, but...

I did 35% PhotoSync to side windows, hatch, and the pano panels.
I then added a second layer of 50% 3M Color Stable to all but the pano and it matches up very nicely. They said it meters around 15%.

If you like dark tint, and even moreso like the "look" of dark tint from the outside, my guess is you will end up tinting it but you don't need to go as dark. It will probably look off if you don't as the pano glass (as the glass roof will be) is dark, but not 15% tinted dark.

In the heat here there is still warmth coming through, but complete elimination isn't possible!