Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof and tinted windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not advertised or claimed to be panoramic like the Model X. It is just a fixed glass roof instead of the opening panoramic roof. To do what you are asking would require a significant engineering undertaking. The crossbar you mention is the same for both roof versions. Only difference is the center bar is removed for the fixed glass roof.
Then that's what they should call it.

They should call it No B pillar beam roof. LOL

I was quite disappointed when I saw the picture of this car on the inside. I thought that the view of the driver was tremendously hampered because of the A-frame pillar across the top. I was thinking that this panoramic option would look much like the MX glass roof tops.
Have you ever driven a Model S?

The Model S A-pillar cross beam does not block the view of the road in any way. It is not in your line of sight until you look about 45 degrees up from the road surface.

The new Model S "Glass Roof" option (that is what Tesla calls it) is not a "panoramic" option.

You really do not need to tint the roof. Save your dough. I use the car in sunny hot Sydney Australia with no issues of heat intrusion. The roof is dark enough from the factory.

Hot Sydney? Come on! Sydney never gets HOT, unless it's an unusual summer, like a few years ago. In places that it gets truly HOT (Arizona, Texas, etc...) you need to block that sun coming in or it will bake your car. I use the heatshield sunblocker things. I have one for the front window and two for the roof. Blocking out the roof on a hot summer day makes a huge difference.

Now, if you want to talk about driving around Cannes or Darwin or out to Ayers or something, then we can talk about hot. :)

I just got mine and I need to tint my windows to 15% or less still. But, the glass roof looks pretty dark.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 220
what rw86347 said.

The front windshield of the X is only possible by the structural integrity provided by the longitudinal spine that is the roof/ falcon wind door hinge point (personally i suspect this part is built extremely rigid and strong)
The model S in its (current iteration) doesn't have this support, so its likely not possible.

They already give up the support of the cross bar to make this glass roof feature. Any more compromise and you would give up safety.
Why is cross beam support needed?

Construct the car as if it were a convertible. Then slap some glass on top. Convertibles obviously don't need support. Why would non-convertibles then need all of these a,b and c columns and beams?

Well... let me think about this again. My M3 might need a lot of support because I'm going to Ludicrous mode the thing to death. LOL

Last edited:
Have you ever driven a Model S?

The Model S A-pillar cross beam does not block the view of the road in any way. It is not in your line of sight until you look about 45 degrees up from the road surface.

The new Model S "Glass Roof" option (that is what Tesla calls it) is not a "panoramic" option.
oh no, no.

I am not - nor ever have made mention that my view of the "road" is being blocked by anything. The A-pillar beam is where the visors are. Its impossible for them to block the view of the road.

My point was that I thought that the panoramic option on the MS and M3 was going to look like MX's panoramic view. Its the blocking of the view of the "sky" that will be impeded in the MS and M3 - ( unlike the MX ). That's what I don't like. The people in the back seat of the MS and M3 are going to experience the fantastic uninhibited views.

Why is cross beam support needed?

Construct the car as if it were a convertible. Then slap some glass on top. Convertibles obviously don't need support. Why would non-convertibles then need all of these a,b and c columns and beams?

Convertibles do suffer from the lack of a top structure. Trying to make up for it by beefing up other areas makes the car heavier than a more efficient structure, and even with the added reinforcement, most convertibles are far less "tight" than their full roofed counterparts. I know my Mercedes 500 CLK convertible shakes and shimmies.

Convertibles do suffer from the lack of a top structure. Trying to make up for it by beefing up other areas makes the car heavier than a more efficient structure, and even with the added reinforcement, most convertibles are far less "tight" than their full roofed counterparts. I know my Mercedes 500 CLK convertible shakes and shimmies.
All I'm saying is that the MX appears to be solid with its panoramic (non A-pillar beam) view. Why can't they make the other 2 with the same panoramic view?

All I'm saying is that the MX appears to be solid with its panoramic (non A-pillar beam) view. Why can't they make the other 2 with the same panoramic view?

It is, but it's also a different, and heavier design. I'm not a structural engineer, but I'd bet the focal point of the structure is somewhere around where the rear gull wing doors join the top - you could do a MS with the same, but then you'd lose the all glass pano roof right? Also, perhaps the shorter structure of the MS isn't as conducive to the way the frame is constructed in the MX?

It's 32degrees C on the coast today... hot enough, I think. Close enough to 90F.
While that's warm by my mountain standards (currently -4º here, sunny and rather pleasant out if properly dressed) I will point out that in places like Phoenix 40º would be a cool day in summer and highs of 45º+ are common. Too hot for me — I've never lived in a place that needed air conditioning, and plan to keep it that way!

I was thinking about 15% on the sides and back only. And I think you all are in agreement that it is the way to go.

I just got to sit inside a glass roof car 30 minutes ago!! :) The glass roofs are WAY darker tinted than the sunroof cars and its almost impossible to see in from the outside even when putting your face right up to the surface! yes today was a cloudy day not a bright sunny day, but noticeably darker than the sunroof car we drove to the service center in...

Also, inside the car significantly better head room. there is a noticeable 2"+ reduction in the border all the way around the top which makes it much larger and open feeling. (i'm 6'3" and i didn't hit my head on the headliner trim in the car like i do in the sunroof cars)

As for tint i'd do 15% all around like my old car, and the windshield i noticed was already darker than the side windows from the factory so i wouldn't worry about tinting the windshield.

Reactions: pjoseph
I just got to sit inside a glass roof car 30 minutes ago!! :) The glass roofs are WAY darker tinted than the sunroof cars and its almost impossible to see in from the outside even when putting your face right up to the surface! yes today was a cloudy day not a bright sunny day, but noticeably darker than the sunroof car we drove to the service center in...

Also, inside the car significantly better head room. there is a noticeable 2"+ reduction in the border all the way around the top which makes it much larger and open feeling. (i'm 6'3" and i didn't hit my head on the headliner trim in the car like i do in the sunroof cars)

As for tint i'd do 15% all around like my old car, and the windshield i noticed was already darker than the side windows from the factory so i wouldn't worry about tinting the windshield.

I'm 6'7" - sounds like I should have ordered all glass instead of sunroof! I was fine on the test drive though.

That does sound really nice - too bad they didn't have any to see when I went for my test drive. That's interesting that the tint is so much darker than the sunroof.

I'm 6'7" - sounds like I should have ordered all glass instead of sunroof! I was fine on the test drive though.

That does sound really nice - too bad they didn't have any to see when I went for my test drive. That's interesting that the tint is so much darker than the sunroof.
You need the sunroof option. Its a little cold in the winter, however you will have infinite headroom. ;)

For reference, here are some pictures of the tint I have on my S. It's 25% SunTek on the sides and back, 55% on the windscreen, and I left the pano roof untouched.

It's already partially tinted. I didn't want it any darker. It does not stand out that it's untinted unless you are above the car, like the second pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_6199.JPG
    IMG_6199.JPG
    722.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_6234.JPG
    IMG_6234.JPG
    378.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_6215.JPG
    IMG_6215.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_6227.JPG
    IMG_6227.JPG