Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof marked up...can't remove spots?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am going to give this stuff a shot before breaking out the clay bar. We’ll see.
clay bar didn't help my glass. on further inspection, it really looks like the IR coating in between the glass is breaking up or wasn't applied correctly. see these pics from inside the cabin.

IMG_0492.jpeg
IMG_0493.jpeg
IMG_0495.jpeg
IMG_0496.jpeg

It works, I used it on mine to remove some hard water spots on my windshield and glass roof. Just make sure it’s 0000 steel wool. Detailers use it all the time.

i don't think its water spots, the professional detailer said its etched, i personally think its IR coating. It is only on 1 section of the glass roof, i am going to have Tesla look at this Friday and hopefully replace it.

i appreciate you trying to help, i will let you know how this plays out.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I've got very similar marks on the roof of my car that I noticed after cleaning. No matter how hard I tried to clean them off with the sponge or cloth they wouldn't budge. I then tried my finger nail and after about 30 secs of scrubbing the mark started to go.
So although I'm sure the OP was right in that it was a defect. If you do see something similar on your roof then try removing one with some hard scrubbing. I think I'm now going to use the fine steel wool to see if that will work for the rest of the stains.

0000 steel wool and a vinegar based glass cleaner will get those spots off. Follow up with a glass sealant to keep them from returning.

This fine if a steel wool will not scratch glass as long as you’re not rubbing on a dry window. Keep the surface wet with glass cleaner and scrub away, those spots will disappear quickly.

Reactions: Magnets!
0000 steel wool and a vinegar based glass cleaner will get those spots off. Follow up with a glass sealant to keep them from returning.

This fine if a steel wool will not scratch glass as long as you’re not rubbing on a dry window. Keep the surface wet with glass cleaner and scrub away, those spots will disappear quickly.
Thanks Solodogg I'll follow that advice.

I know this is an old thread but I've got very similar marks on the roof of my car that I noticed after cleaning. No matter how hard I tried to clean them off with the sponge or cloth they wouldn't budge. I then tried my finger nail and after about 30 secs of scrubbing the mark started to go.
So although I'm sure the OP was right in that it was a defect. If you do see something similar on your roof then try removing one with some hard scrubbing. I think I'm now going to use the fine steel wool to see if that will work for the rest of the stains.
One of the tricks for removing mineral hard spots are dryer sheets rather than rags, newspaper, etc. Works great on shower doors, too. Also, vinegar solution for cleaner.

Tesla replaced my roof, appeared to be etched glass from transport. beware, rear glass easily breaks when realigning glass roof.

the clowns at Tesla who sent my vehicle off to a "repair" shop to fix paint runs and a half painted bumper gave me back a car with scratched glass, and water spots. Frustrated at this as I did not catch this for about 3 weeks and finally when i went to detail my car, i realized this and they claimed it was too late for them to do anything.

I'll try 0000 steel wool next, as 100% vinegar soak with a wet microfiber towel did not seem to really remove the hard water stains / spots

the clowns at Tesla who sent my vehicle off to a "repair" shop to fix paint runs and a half painted bumper gave me back a car with scratched glass, and water spots. Frustrated at this as I did not catch this for about 3 weeks and finally when i went to detail my car, i realized this and they claimed it was too late for them to do anything.

I'll try 0000 steel wool next, as 100% vinegar soak with a wet microfiber towel did not seem to really remove the hard water stains / spots
Clay bar such as this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753FSQN6?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
I get frequent water spots (hard water area). This cleans them up quickly and easily.

Thanks. I'll give the claybar a shot. I'm optimistic as when using vinegar and a little baking soda mix with a clean toothbrush the waterspots begin to lift off. its alot of work so im hoping the claybar will make quick work of this!