Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Roof Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to get a new 75D but I don't like the all glass roof. It's hot as hell where I live and the glass creates a greenhouse effect.

Anyone here with the all glass roof that lives in very sunny/hot weather and finding it to still be ok? I'm just wondering what it's like to live with for a long period of time.

I live in the CA Central Valley, we are regularly well over 100f for extended periods throughout the summer. Granted I took delivery in December and we've only had a few toasty days so far, but I don't foresee any heat or comfort issues with the glass roof at this point. Car is going in next week to get the rest of the windows tinted.

Ok, thanks. I personally like it but my wife is super paranoid about UV rays etc. We test drove at noon on a 100 degree day with the sun right above and I still felt the rays...very slightly though.

They have a few new 75Ds with solid roofs...but they are super rare and I would have to pay extra to ship it in.

The glass roof is heavily tinted, there is no UV going thru. You're going to get a lot more UV going thru the front windshield and your untinted side windows. During the test drive, you probably felt what came thru the windshield and side windows.

i have the glass roof and live in louisiana. I dont feel a difference driving this car vs a solid roof car. And with the ability to precool your car from your phone and cabin overheatprotection, your car is not going to be any hotter/cooler than it would've with a solid roof.

The glass roof is heavily tinted, there is no UV going thru. You're going to get a lot more UV going thru the front windshield and your untinted side windows. During the test drive, you probably felt what came thru the windshield and side windows.

i have the glass roof and live in louisiana. I dont feel a difference driving this car vs a solid roof car. And with the ability to precool your car from your phone and cabin overheatprotection, your car is not going to be any hotter/cooler than it would've with a solid roof.[/QUOTE

Ok, this is what I got online:

"Tesla claims their tinted glass blocks 98 percent of UV rays and 81 percent of heat, and drivers can always use their smartphone to turn on the AC before you even get back to the car."

The salesperson I had looked 16 and knew very little.

The Model X is almost all glass and I live in Sacramento Valley, CA, where it is super hot and sunny and it is by far the coolest car I have ever owned. Every other car I have owned have been solar ovens, but MX with it's glass top is nice and cool. You will be fine. Actually, I think the glass roofs are more of an issue in cold climates, due to lack of insulation.

Reactions: Maximilien
The Model X is almost all glass and I live in Sacramento Valley, CA, where it is super hot and sunny and it is by far the coolest car I have ever owned. Every other car I have owned have been solar ovens, but MX with it's glass top is nice and cool. You will be fine. Actually, I think the glass roofs are more of an issue in cold climates, due to lack of insulation.

Thanks, good info here, I don't think I'll be paying extra and taking more time to get the solid roof, which seems like a less desirable option...doh.

Anyone here with the all glass roof that lives in very sunny/hot weather and finding it to still be ok? I'm just wondering what it's like to live with for a long period of time.
It's hot, humid, and sunny here. Roof strikes me as rejecting a material amount of heat (~90%?) when driving in direct sunlight. No issues here with that.

Annoying - to me at least - part of the roof is when the sun directly hits your eyes when driving through the roof. Does not haapen too often, but does happen enough for me to notice. When it does happen I put on a hat and it solves the problem. There might also be an aftermakret sunshade as well you can attach to the inside of the roof...seem to recall one for pano-roofs.

Bottom line is the glass pros outweighed the cons for me. Would opt for it again if reordering.

Reactions: Italia81
I want to get a new 75D but I don't like the all glass roof. It's hot as hell where I live and the glass creates a greenhouse effect.

I have to disagree. I test drove a Blue Model S 75D with a glass roof in Walnut Creek last week when it was 101 degrees and the car was perfectly fine. I couldn't feel a difference at all.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
No it's not. It is a terrible (heat) insulator (it is an electrical insulator). About R-1 per inch. If Tesla has done something to make the window well insulated, it isn't the glass.

Thank you kindly

I'm mistaken but I think the point is that the glass doesn't cool the car as much as failed window sealing or whatever causes the footwell to remain cold.

I'm mistaken but I think the point is that the glass doesn't cool the car as much as failed window sealing or whatever causes the footwell to remain cold.

I'd be happy to run that calculation for you, if you provide me with the thermal specs for the car.

In the meantime, all my post above addresses is the insulation value of glass.

Thank you kindly.