Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Roof Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ceramic tint all around works wonders - 90% 3M Ceramic tint on front windshield blocks the heat very well.
3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series | 3M United States

You can find an all-glass roof sunshade for the model S here for the near 100% solution:
Sunshade for Tesla: Model-S: 2012-2017 Auto Heat Shield

But living in Houston and driving around Texas last weekend in the high 90's, the glass roof was not where the heat comes in - it's the front and back glass even with Ceramic tint. The tint let in more palpable heat than the roof - but it was negligible and the A/C even on range mode (half power) was barely running most of the trip.
Definitely the Texas folks know what's cookin'... I have the AutoHeatShield for the glass roof installed, and it goes in two pieces, it has massively cooled things down in the direct sun... suction cups keep it secured. We desperately need a retractable shade for the all Glass roof... I'm tired of wife saying, "for such an expensive car, I can't believe it doesn't come with that" and I yell back, "I like it that way!" And she says... "then why do you have the heat shield installed"... and I mutter under my breath... "you're a heat shield"

Specific to the Tesla glass roof,

Tesla added an all-glass roof to the Model S

98% of all UV blocked, and 80% of heat blocked
While not detailed, this probably means effectively 100% UVB and a few percent UVA And remember folks, to take your Vit D

I had a loaner 90D with a Glass roof last week and it was a problem in the California sun.
80% of heat blocked means that 20% is transmitted to the cabin ... no thanks :cool:

I had a loaner 90D with a Glass roof last week and it was a problem in the California sun.
80% of heat blocked means that 20% is transmitted to the cabin ... no thanks :cool:

Guess it's all perception. I live in interior California and we just spent a week north of a hundred eleventeen degrees. I had zero discomfort with the glass roof. I'm also 6' 5" and probably have my head a bit closer to it than most...

This was a big concern for me when I bought the car in the winter but I'm very pleased with the effectiveness of the tint / heat rejection. No regrets.

Guess it's all perception. I live in interior California and we just spent a week north of a hundred eleventeen degrees. I had zero discomfort with the glass roof. I'm also 6' 5" and probably have my head a bit closer to it than most...

This was a big concern for me when I bought the car in the winter but I'm very pleased with the effectiveness of the tint / heat rejection. No regrets.
I definitely don't regret the all glass roof either, but I run hot and it can make it no bueno on certain days... I just wish there was some nice looking retractable option...

The glass roof is made of laminate glass that has plastic sandwiched between 2 layers of glass so it should be pretty good. We can also try to put a film such as the 3M crystaline 90 on it. It is pretty much clear and claims to block 34% of solar energy, which together with the stock laminate should make it pretty good. I didn't bother with that in my Model S as I never really feel the heat from the top, only the other windows.

I am getting 3M crystaline 70 on all windows (except glass roof) and crystaline 90 on the windshield. Very light on the tint, but claims to block about 50% of solar energy. Will let you guys know how it goes when I pick it back up.
Others have complained that 3M crystalline ends up looking purplish on front and rear windshields on Teslas - I'm curious how yours turns out.

I think it is all about your frame of reference...:cool:
I live in California and have a metal roof with almost no heat transmission on a hot day.
With the glass roof loaner, I could feel the heat transmission and the interior glass was hot to the touch.

Others have complained that 3M crystalline ends up looking purplish on front and rear windshields on Teslas - I'm curious how yours turns out.

I am very happy with the material. Significantly reduced heat sensation. I had a very light tint 90 and 70 so there are no purple look. In fact, it hardly looks tinted at all. The install is less than perfect on 1st try so I will have to get him to redo some of it. Some wrinkles on the windshield and some pieces of trapped dirt/lint on the windows. Is perfection An unrealistic expectation when it comes to tints?

Subjectively I don't like the sun shining at me through the glass roof. Relatively speaking about heat, the surface gets hot (glass or metal) but the upholstery underneath the metal roof prevents radiant heat, unfortunately the glass becomes it's own source of radiant heat on hot days.

Thanks for mentioning that the surface gets hot and becomes a source of radiant heat. And, when it is very cold it will stay cold.

I want to get a new 75D but I don't like the all glass roof. It's hot as hell where I live and the glass creates a greenhouse effect.

Anyone here with the all glass roof that lives in very sunny/hot weather and finding it to still be ok? I'm just wondering what it's like to live with for a long period of time.
I traded my 2014 Model S for a 2017. I wanted to upgrade the auto pilot features but the newer Model S only comes with glass roof. I gave up my metal roof after having consulted with a few people who had no problems in our hot city of Houston. My new roof is steaming in the hot weather, I had a 130 F read from inside the car. Has anyone run into this kind of problem with glass roof Teslas anywhere in the US? I already have installed a ceramic film but it is not getting much better. Any ideas? BTW I took it to the Westchase Service center and they were not helpful at all. I was told to turn on the preconditioning feature and that this is the new Model S for all of the US. Not sure this is going to work in Texas. I am hoping to find a solution because otherwise I will have to sell the car and get something with a real roof. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I traded my 2014 Model S for a 2017. I wanted to upgrade the auto pilot features but the newer Model S only comes with glass roof. I gave up my metal roof after having consulted with a few people who had no problems in our hot city of Houston. My new roof is steaming in the hot weather, I had a 130 F read from inside the car. Has anyone run into this kind of problem with glass roof Teslas anywhere in the US? I already have installed a ceramic film but it is not getting much better. Any ideas? BTW I took it to the Westchase Service center and they were not helpful at all. I was told to turn on the preconditioning feature and that this is the new Model S for all of the US. Not sure this is going to work in Texas. I am hoping to find a solution because otherwise I will have to sell the car and get something with a real roof. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Do you have the overheat setting enabled? It does not let the interior cabin get above X degrees (I believe I have mine set for ~ 105 F). The feature does not use much energy (it stops working after so many hours... I believe 12?) and when coupled with using your phone to precool works very well at keeping the car comfortable. Likely helps minimize the oven effect of super hot items if the feature was not used.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to get a glass roof that's *not* IR blocking?

The hottest it's ever gotten in Reykjavík is 25,7°C (78°F). A typical July day has a high of 13,3°C (56°F). Overheating is not a problem; extra heat would be nice :)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
There is a new pop in shade available in the tesla store and gets delivered to me on thursday... this is going to be awesome because I currently have a all glass auto heat shield and it is extremely effective at elimating the heat... and it's insulated, however it is difficult to undo the suction cups...

for your purposes, the auto heat shield would be very close to the heat blocking of the metal roof.. it is really impressive.... If I had more time and some ability to make it not look lame, I might have tried to match the headliner material and glue it to the interior of the auto heat shield,

I hope the new shade gives just the right amount of heat protection in Texas without losing the open feel or at the ability to see a live oak over head.... which will be handy at the new austin supercharger :)

I have the tesla sunshade for the rear window and it effectively blocks the heat. and before I bought the auto heat shield, I just taped the rear window shade above the driver seat.... and it worked well even in Texas, so I'm optimistic about the effect of the new pop in shade...