Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having driven it for 1 (non Australian) summer month and being severely folically challenged I have 0 negative impressions of the Glass roof. I thought about spending $150 US on the sunshade or even extra after market tinting... But the standard tint is so strong (stronger than any sunroof I have previously had) I haven't had any concerns.

Since you asked for my opinion and it is the nature of my user name to give it. Yes...you are being too sensitive but if I am being too quick to judge it is nice to know you have other affordable aftermarket options if needed .... I would give nothing a try with first though. Passengers love the glass roof.

Since it isn't hot all year, the glass roof pro is that it gives you a sense of spaciousness. If your circumstances require more protection, you can 1) add additional ceramic tint or 2) add a removable screen: Model S Fixed Glass Roof Sunshade or 3) both. If you can afford new, it seems there are too many improvements to consider CPO if the roof is the primary concern.

Comparing the fixed glass roof vs. the sunroof, note the all glass roof has a much thinner bulkhead on the front and side, so it is aesthetically superior.

As other have said, the tinting is quite strong on both the glass roof and sunroof. I never found the heat gain to be too bad.

Another important consideration in favor of the glass/sunroof options is that they both give a couple extra inches of headroom compared to the solid roof. This can be useful for taller passengers, particularly in the back seat where the roof slopes down.

Comparing the fixed glass roof vs. the sunroof, note the all glass roof has a much thinner bulkhead on the front and side, so it is aesthetically superior.

I would also add that the glass roof eliminates the support that goes across the middle of the opening so the "open feeling" is that much better with the glass roof compared to the sunroof.

It appears to me as a non-owner (yet) that the S has no option of a metal roof?

I can't see any pros for a glass roof in Australian sun, and several cons. Am I too sensitive?
Simply not an issue here in Sydney. I have been driving my pano roof for over 2.5 years ( since launch day), and have never noticed any heat intrusion. In fact, having driven the latest models ( as a loan car) for a week, I found the all glass roof too dark, I might just as well been metal for all the light it did not let in!!

Hi Wol747. Have you had an opportunity to see it? I ordered mine without knowing what it was. Got it and I was really impressed. Having one giant seemless piece of glass is awesome. I would take it over any other option...including a sun roof. It used to be a several thousand dollar upgrade ... And I can see why.

Hi Wol747. Have you had an opportunity to see it? I ordered mine without knowing what it was. Got it and I was really impressed. Having one giant seamless piece of glass is awesome. I would take it over any other option...including a sun roof. It used to be a several thousand dollar upgrade ... And I can see why.

Yes, I think they have made it the default purchase. It certainly looks good but I would much prefer having metal over my head! We don't even like sunroofs - my present car has one and I can't remember the last time it was opened.

Incidentally, I thought this forum was the Australian branch, but every time I come in it seems to default to a general area, which is confusing when you get feedback about prices - the US prices are way way lower than the Oz ones even allowing for the exchange rate!

• Disagree
Reactions: Tforme
We’ve had one of our hottest summers on record here in interior California with ~50 days above 100F and counting. I have zero glass roof regrets.

I live in SoCal and have no issues with my black on black 2014 S85 with pano sun roof. I do have side and back window tinted for privacy...not heat protection.
The best feature to owning my Tesla is the ability to pre-cool the car from the Tesla app, so I rarely enter a hot car!

Reactions: ucmndd
Does the driver/front passenger actually get a sense of spaciousness though? I thought it only makes a difference for rear passengers.

The pano roof (with the opening sunroof) isn't directly viewable for the driver/front passenger, but you still feel the spaciousness. Solid roofs in other cars now feel slightly "closed in" and dark.

The all-glass roof is actually in your upper vision. The roof beam across the A pillars is thinner. That definitely gives that sense of spaciousness.

If the all-glass roof was available when I bought my car, I would have gotten it.

To Wol747, just get a tint on the side and rear windows and you will be fine!