Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glossy seat backs + kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how well the glossy seat backs hold up to scratches? I know at the reveal event in September they were covered in fingerprints, but I'm afraid of my kid's shoes scratching them up. Do any current owners have experience they'd like to share?

I've heard of a few people wanting to get the seat backs wrapped in Xpel (or similar product). Is that worth it and how much do you think that would cost typically?

My Disney friends who design ride vehicles were concerned with the Model X interior; they announced it wouldn't remain looking good with guests entering and exiting. Detailers mentioned it is a "show car" and recommended clear bra protective wraps.

The quick solution could be for the kids to remove their shoes. However, it would be wise to ensure that the 2nd row seat movers are operating properly and have no gaps at the moving plates. Safety first, so IMHO, it would be best for the shoes to remain on. Would you consider putting blue protective booties on the kids shoes? Disposable Shoe Covers :: Disposable Apparel :: eSafety Supplies, Inc.

On earlier threads I mentioned Con-Tact® Brand - Creative Covering™ - Black. Various colors can be found on this page: Con-Tact Brand | Shop

The challenge are the curved surfaces, and the entire bottom surround of the 2nd row seats are in the shiny black plastic. Chrome trim adds to the beauty and the possible damage that can occur as the trims are scratched or accidentally detached.

The great news is that the driver and passenger front row seats have a softer surface at the bottom rear portion. That will help IF the kids in the 2nd row keep their feet under the seat in front. If they put their feet higher up on the shiny seat backs, then protection should be considered. The rear row seats face 100% shiny black plastic. The back of the 2nd row and the wheel wells are a challenge to keep scuff free.

This situation may be answered by 3rd party solutions, but how much money do you want to spend? Would it be cheaper to have Tesla replace the damaged surfaces at trade-in time? If you are leasing, how much damage will Tesla accept? Interesting questions and I hope that Tesla Motors considers a ruggedized version of Model X in the future.

Someone folded their third row seat when the second row was back a bit too far and they scratched their second row back. FarmerDave has his grandkids take off their shows. Someone else got the backs wrapped with XPel.

Bottom line - if you don't want them scratched, protect them. They're plastic and they'll get scratched. I've got three little ones and they always know how to break something...

Nobody (very few) have a Model X. I have been in communications with one of the TMC group sponsors and am planning on wrapping the backs of the seats to minimize scratches and blemishes from fingerprints, scuffs and scratches. As a matter of fact, we are going to wrap the entire car, too. For what we are spending on the car, the whole car wrap just makes sense to preserve its beauty. Again, we are waiting on the darn 22" Black Onyx wheels before we get ours, like so many others. JMHO
Nobody has any scratches yet?

Nobody (very few) have a Model X. I have been in communications with one of the TMC group sponsors and am planning on wrapping the backs of the seats to minimize scratches and blemishes from fingerprints, scuffs and scratches. As a matter of fact, we are going to wrap the entire car, too. For what we are spending on the car, the whole car wrap just makes sense to preserve its beauty. Again, we are waiting on the darn 22" Black Onyx wheels before we get ours, like so many others. JMHO

I agree, as it relates to wrapping to protect the investment. The only issue is the cost ($5,000+/-), plus the 4 year service plan ($1,800 or so), plus extended warranty ($4,000 or so) and you quickly get to an additional $10,000+ on the car...

My Disney friends who design ride vehicles were concerned with the Model X interior; they announced it wouldn't remain looking good with guests entering and exiting. Detailers mentioned it is a "show car" and recommended clear bra protective wraps.

The quick solution could be for the kids to remove their shoes. However, it would be wise to ensure that the 2nd row seat movers are operating properly and have no gaps at the moving plates. Safety first, so IMHO, it would be best for the shoes to remain on. Would you consider putting blue protective booties on the kids shoes? Disposable Shoe Covers :: Disposable Apparel :: eSafety Supplies, Inc.

On earlier threads I mentioned Con-Tact® Brand - Creative Covering™ - Black. Various colors can be found on this page: Con-Tact Brand | Shop

The challenge are the curved surfaces, and the entire bottom surround of the 2nd row seats are in the shiny black plastic. Chrome trim adds to the beauty and the possible damage that can occur as the trims are scratched or accidentally detached.

The great news is that the driver and passenger front row seats have a softer surface at the bottom rear portion. That will help IF the kids in the 2nd row keep their feet under the seat in front. If they put their feet higher up on the shiny seat backs, then protection should be considered. The rear row seats face 100% shiny black plastic. The back of the 2nd row and the wheel wells are a challenge to keep scuff free.

This situation may be answered by 3rd party solutions, but how much money do you want to spend? Would it be cheaper to have Tesla replace the damaged surfaces at trade-in time? If you are leasing, how much damage will Tesla accept? Interesting questions and I hope that Tesla Motors considers a ruggedized version of Model X in the future.

Some good thoughts here, thanks.

Our kids are small, 5 & 4, so their feet will be up high. Requiring shoes to be off is a good temporary solution, but the odds of always remembering would be slim.

I'm strongly considering something like Xpel, but it would be nice to hear from someone who had it done already. I realize not many people have their car yet, but there are numerous posts with people saying they've taken delivery, so it's not like I'm talking to no one!

elguapo: do you know who got the backs wrapped with Xpel?

I have been using Brica Kickmats for the backs of the front seats and 2nd row (also use them in our S). That said, I will probably also look into some sort of 3rd party covering given the super shiny nature of the seat backs.
seatback.jpg

I bet this does the job but IMHO really takes away from the design aesthetics of the car.

Too bad they did not finish the seat backs in a durable matte finish, especially considering the intended market.

I have been using Brica Kickmats for the backs of the front seats and 2nd row (also use them in our S). That said, I will probably also look into some sort of 3rd party covering given the super shiny nature of the seat backs.
View attachment 110777

• Informative
Reactions: longwait
I bet this does the job but IMHO really takes away from the design aesthetics of the car.

Too bad they did not finish the seat backs in a durable matte finish, especially considering the intended market.

I've never seen/felt the seats in person, and am leaning towards putting Xpel or something on them just because of the idea of my kids with them. The backs of the seats in my S are kicked regularly.

But the people at Tesla aren't dumb, and many must have children - even the guy at the top has five young boys. Could it be that this is a shiny but extremely tough and durable material that resists scuffs and scratches?

Do the kickmats take away from the look...absolutely. I couldn't agree more. I'm still trying to figure out what to cover them with and until then, this seems to work. I'm meeting this weekend with the guys that did my wrap, so I will ask them their thoughts on how best to protect the surface.

Does anyone know how well the glossy seat backs hold up to scratches? I know at the reveal event in September they were covered in fingerprints, but I'm afraid of my kid's shoes scratching them up. Do any current owners have experience they'd like to share?

I've heard of a few people wanting to get the seat backs wrapped in Xpel (or similar product). Is that worth it and how much do you think that would cost typically?

My Xpel installer did a partial install on the seat backs for $100 each. I still take my granddaughter's shoes off when I load her into the safety seat, though.

2nd Row.jpg

Do the kickmats take away from the look...absolutely. I couldn't agree more. I'm still trying to figure out what to cover them with and until then, this seems to work. I'm meeting this weekend with the guys that did my wrap, so I will ask them their thoughts on how best to protect the surface.

On the Titanium Model X Photos thread (#15) an owner posted this:

From this album showing the work of OCDetail in NorCal.

that's my X. Joe finished it up last week. He said Xpel is working on a wrap for the seats.