Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait a minute, GM used a wrap-around bumper and recessed the hood; wasn't a design like this suppose to limit the damage to the front hood. Design Flaw: Front End Collision = Expensive Repairs So much for design theory.:wink:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes, vehicle performance is almost identical in EV mode and extended range mode.

No, that does not mean the ICE and 55kW generator can deliver enough electrical power to drive the 111 kW traction motor the way the battery does. In extended range mode the ICE only delivers the average power required, and the battery fills in the peak power required. The battery also captures regen energy. Basically this is just like any other "strong" hybrid works.

GSP

Anyone have a definitive number on how many kWh it takes to fill the Volt? (with or without charging losses)

Don't know how definitive, but from the gm-volt.com site:

Now GM finally admits the Volt will actually use 65% of the total energy storage capacity of the battery. That amounts to 10.4 kwh.

The engine generator will turn on once the battery hits somewhere between 20% and 25% state of charge, which equates to 25 to 50 miles of EV driving. When fully recharged, the battery will acutally be kept at a maximum 85% to 90% state of charge.

Here's a photo of the battery:
volt-battery-pack-open.jpg

In the referenced link only 120V (Level 1) data is shown from my quick read. I checked with a Volt driver that charges using Coulomb's residential unit (Level 2). L2 is more efficient than L1 charging. The highest recorded (as tracked by ChargePoint account) usage was 11.829, with several other data points betweeen 11.284 and 11.613. Keep in mind that timing (how long after a drive), ambient temps, etc (as pointed out by one of the posts in the referenced link) will also have an effect. But given that data set, using an average of 11.55kWh seems to inidcate a 90% efficiency, which again tracks well (for L2). So, to present the same data in line with EVNow's

11.55*0.9 = 10.4 kWh.

Yeah, and one commentator calls BS to that story.

I decided to call a few dealers within 75 miles of my location to determine what the true situation was. I stopped my research after finding that five of the first six dealers I called had Volts in inventory available for immediate sale. Two of the five dealers even had two each in stock. I can now safely assume that GM is, once again, not being entirely honest with its facts.

Guess we'll find out who's right when/if GM ramps up their supplies.

Yeah, and one commentator calls BS to that story.
Guess we'll find out who's right when/if GM ramps up their supplies.

Assuming the commentator isn't a fraud (big assumption given the source), this still doesn't say anything. Afterall, Volt isn't available in too many states right now. Allocation (and thus availability) of Volts isn't uniformly spread - my guess is places like New York still have them.