Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I brought up the point a long while back that some Volt owners could end up just fueling it and never plugging it in, thus obviating the real advantage.

Also, if you run down the battery and the fuel tank why not fill them both at once? A gas station with a plug and a pump could give you some charge while filling the tank. (Although I am sure there would be safety concerns).

Quick charge while pumping gas? What could possibly go wrong?

LOL

But if you want to lower the overheads of introducing commercial charging while EV numbers are low, then existing forecourts are the places to do it!

We may be over the period of punishment cars, but I fear that the time of cheap, poorly designed "punishment public recharge points" is only just beginning.

These would be located on an exposed part of the forecourt well away from the gas pumps where ICE owners can have a good laugh while they watch EV newbies struggle with the cable and the waiting time.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather recharge at home overnight or during the day in the office parking lot (assuming the boss is far-sighted enough to install charge points for company cars)

Last edited:
More on the Governments report on GM.

GM says Volt isn't dead yet, despite panel's bleak report - National Business - MiamiHerald.com
President Barack Obama's auto task force last week said in an assessment of General Motors' viability that it was a full generation behind Toyota in "green powertrain development" and that "while the Volt holds promise, it is currently projected to be much more expensive than its gasoline-fueled peers and will likely need substantial reductions in manufacturing cost in order to become commercially viable."

A White House official who worked on the assessment said Wednesday, however, that the statements had been simply another way of saying what GM has said all along - it will be a challenge to bring the new technology up to scale and make it cost-competitive.

GM will have to make its own decisions about the pace of its advanced technology, said the official, who requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly.

"You should not expect the task force will say GM should discontinue the Volt," he said.

GM spokesman Dave Darovitz said there was nothing new in the government statement on high costs. New technology is always expensive, he said.

The company has added money to building the Volt, and it's still the "No. 1 product development program here at GM," he said.

"We will make it happen," Darovitz said. "There is no deviation in our focus and intent to bring the car to market in late 2010."

Darovitz said the government report made an unfair comparison with Toyota because it was dealing with two different technologies - the Prius gas-electric hybrid and the battery-powered, plug-in electric Volt.

New GM CEO OK With Losing Money On Volt, Predicts Higher Oil Prices
On some products, the costs, particularly in advanced technologies, are high. The Volt is the case study. We have been very clear with the task force, particularly in Gen-1 technology, like the Volt, the cost is high. And that means, it doesn't necessarily pay the rent. It actually consumes rent when it's launched.

But you don't get to skip Gen-1, you've got to do Gen-1 and 2 to get to Gen-3. And what we want to do is make sure we launch the car well, that we get the maximum learning from it, that it's successful in the market, so that when we get to Gen-2, we've got the most cost out that we can. And when we get to Gen-3, get the most cost-out we can, and that's how I look at it.

All this talk about going out of business has put a strain on a long term relationship.

We actually think oil prices are going to go up. That's what our entire plan is based on. ...

But you don't get to skip Gen-1, you've got to do Gen-1 and 2 to get to Gen-3. And what we want to do is make sure we launch the car well, that we get the maximum learning from it, that it's successful in the market, so that when we get to Gen-2, we've got the most cost out that we can. And when we get to Gen-3, get the most cost-out we can, and that's how I look at it.

I think they should spend the money to do Gen-1, and then crush them all. Skip Gen-2 and Gen-3 so that in 10 years they can start paying for a new Gen-1 again! That is the most entertaining way to go about it.

C'mon, Elon, do you have to do that?

How about this: "There are competing technologies, and the competition is good for this industry. One challenge that still remains with the approach taken on the Volt is the issue of what happens when the battery charge runs out. The car is left underpowered with unsatisfying performance. We don't think they're going to be able to resolve that negative, and it will remain a problem in the production car."

Can't you just say something like that?

To me, the Volt is a Level 3 vehicle.

Level 1 are all the current hybrids out there - some form of energy re-capture, no plug-in.
Level 2 picks up being able to plug in.
Level 3 picks up being able to travel >= 40 highway miles electric only.
Level 4 ditches all the ICE tech completely.

While sure, I'd rather have GM shooting for a Level 4 vehicle, I have to give them credit for trying to leapfrog the Gen4 Prius, which won't even manage the highway miles.