Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see it as purist, just accurate. The Volt motor is not electric only, since the ICE can drive the wheels, but that's irrelevant, the Karma is also a hybrid, specifically a serial hybrid. It uses gas, and oil, and has to pass emissions tests. EV's don't. It's just that simple.
What is more interesting is the lengths to which hybrid drivers try to claim they are driving EV's. Obviously they see the difference and want to be included in one group, not the other. I"ll say it again, I don't have any problem with people driving hybrids, plug in or otherwise, but I would no more expect them to claim they are driving an EV than they would claim they are driving an ICE.

Last edited:
racehorse_blinkers.jpg

Self portrait? Blinders prevent you from seeing the gas cap and exhaust pipe on your car?

Lets not divert this thread into a debate over EV "purity"... there's already a thread for that :Pure BEV Dogma

There was a statement that the Volt shouldn't be at an electric car event, because it's a [conveniently forgotten to add, plug-in] hybrid [with significant electric range]. That's dogma. Are we saying that a car that can allow 90% of your miles (in my experience) to be electric, that 'newbies' get instantly, should be excluded from public shows?

There was a statement that the Volt shouldn't be at an electric car event, because it's a [conveniently forgotten to add, plug-in] hybrid [with significant electric range]. That's dogma. Are we saying that a car that can allow 90% of your miles (in my experience) to be electric, that 'newbies' get instantly, should be excluded from public shows?

If you drive it out on the track with zero gas in the tank, OK.
If the gas engine kicks in during an EV event, then you should be disqualified.

Originally that was the plan, but as delivered the ICE can drive the rear wheels. There are a lot of people (including Volt owners) that have the same misconception.

Actually I think it is the front wheels.
Like with Toyota Synergy drive, it can pick to blend e-Motor and/or gas-Engine both to the front wheels based on computer control.

No, I was neither agreeing or disagreeing with you. Let me rephrase less subtly:

<mod> This discussion is verging on veering off into arguments over EV terminology instead of discussing the Chevy Volt. If it drifts any further I will move this whole discussion over to Pure BEV Dogma </mod>

Exactly, and it has backfired for GM in many ways, such as people thinking it's a $40K EV with only a 40 mile range. Unfortunately some here can't seem to see that calling the Volt an EV has had negative consequences.

I had this happen yesterday... Someone stopped me in a parking lot when they saw my LEAF and said "I want to buy an electric car, but $40K for 40 miles of range just isn't good enough." When I said that the LEAF was about $22K (after incentives) for ~80miles of range they seemed to be in disbelief.

I had this happen yesterday... Someone stopped me in a parking lot when they saw my LEAF and said "I want to buy an electric car, but $40K for 40 miles of range just isn't good enough." When I said that the LEAF was about $22K (after incentives) for ~80miles of range they seemed to be in disbelief.
I've had to deal with the same misinformation on many occasions. That's why I'm so insistent on accurately describing different products that have real mechanical and operational differences.

I would rather the Volt and Fisker stick to EREV/REEV/EVER and try their best to explain what that is. Or say it's a plug-in and call it a day. To keep calling it electric just confuses people (and doesn't necessarily help sales).

As for whether it should be excluded from an EV event, I think given most EV events are actually plug-in events, it shouldn't. Unless it was an event where something like a plug-in Prius would be excluded, I think the Volt has a place in an EV event.

I don't understand the urgent need to inform potential customers by using "correct" terminology. If someone thinks*) the Volt is a $40k car with 40 miles range, but the car actually sells, he should stop thinking "wow these Volt owners are rich but dumb" and question his information. If that happens - mission accomplished. If not, it's better he stays away from anything electric.

Edit: *) and missed the super bowl spots completely: "When I need to go further, it uses gas."

I don't understand the urgent need to inform potential customers by using "correct" terminology. If someone thinks*) the Volt is a $40k car with 40 miles range, but the car actually sells, he should stop thinking "wow these Volt owners are rich but dumb" and question his information. If that happens - mission accomplished. If not, it's better he stays away from anything electric.

Edit: *) and missed the super bowl spots completely: "When I need to go further, it uses gas."

The problem is that people like spreading that misinformation and it affects sales. The Volt is selling, but it's definitely selling below the original target. A lot of it has to do with politics, but a bulk of it has to do with misinformation along the same lines ($40k and 40 miles is a talking point that's frequently repeated even today).

It's kind of a weird coincidence that both EREV/REEV/EVERs on the market are being troubled by politics right now. I think a bulk of it has to do with most people not really knowing at an EREV is (they either focus on the relatively low AER when it gets called an "electric car" or they focus on the relatively low gasoline fuel economy when focusing on the range-extender or hybrid side). There definitely needs to be more education in that regard. And delivering a mixed message doesn't help.