Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the storage capacity of the Volt battery will increase slightly from 16 kWh of energy to 16.5 kWh, and engineers have expanded the state-of-charge window to 10.8 kWh from 10.3 kWh in the 2012 model

My first thought was arrogant sneeze, too: "At that pace, they will catch up with Model S in 48 years!". But in fact it is great news for all EVs because
- GM sells a hybrid and customers just want more all-electric range.
- EVs do evolve, at little pace but without incurring additional cost.
- if Tesla expands its 265 mile EPA range model to cover 288 miles without additional cost in the next model year, cheering would be loud over here!

My first thought was arrogant sneeze, too: "At that pace, they will catch up with Model S in 48 years!". But in fact it is great news for all EVs because
- GM sells a hybrid and customers just want more all-electric range.
- EVs do evolve, at little pace but without incurring additional cost.
- if Tesla expands its 265 mile EPA range model to cover 288 miles without additional cost in the next model year, cheering would be loud over here!

Keep in mind it is not ever in mind of GM to catch up to the Model S. They are for completely different markets. Each car has its own capabilities.
Very good other points. I especially agree with people getting a 'hunger' for more EV range. Likewise, I suspect many people will have their range anxiety lessened by driving a PHEV as they get a better idea of just how far they do drive on a day to day basis.

I made an on-topic post here which some moderator impolitely moved here: Leaf -vs- Volt

They forgot for some reason to leave any signposting.
Sorry that redirect post must have gotten lost in the mix. It happens. Recent Leaf comparison posts went here: Leaf -vs- Volt (direct link)

Your post was in fact off topic (and spawned responses that continued off topic) since we already have a thread for making comparisons with the Leaf. If you would post more carefully a mod wouldn't have to move your posts. Moderators reserve the right to move or edit (though rare) posts as necessarily. We try to leave a note as a courtesy.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/06/volt-v-vette/

Chevrolet’s plug-in hybrid sedan is in its first year of full production, and after six months of sales, the Volt has toppled the Chevy Corvette in the retail race....Still, the duality of the two vehicles sold under the same marque couldn’t be more clear. Both the Corvette and Volt could be considered niche products — one a sports car, one a plug-in hybrid with a 40-mile range and absolutely no sporting pretenses.

Sorry that redirect post must have gotten lost in the mix. It happens. Recent Leaf comparison posts went here: Leaf -vs- Volt (direct link)

Your post was in fact off topic (and spawned responses that continued off topic) since we already have a thread for making comparisons with the Leaf. If you would post more carefully a mod wouldn't have to move your posts. Moderators reserve the right to move or edit (though rare) posts as necessarily. We try to leave a note as a courtesy.

Appreciate that mistakes happen and respect the great work moderators do here. With respect, I disagree with your assessment of on/off-topic on this occasion, but it is a judgement call.

Volt comes out
o-CHEVROLET-GAY-AD-570.jpg

Noting that LGBT shoppers tend to be "significantly more eco-friendly than the rest of the population," The Car Connection believes it's smart for Chevy to promote the hybrid electric vehicle to "a predominately sympathetic audience.""Chevrolet has managed to find an interesting parallel between one of its "outsider" products and a population that, in some ways, still resides on the margins of society," the report states. "That's not just clever, but it makes for good advertising."

Gas tank + ICE + exhaust = not an EV. You can use it as an EV, but if you really are doing so then why are you hauling around an ICE and carrying gasoline that you never intend to use? The Volt/Ampera uses gasoline. If someone were to use the Volt/Ampera without ever plugging it in does it then become an ICE? No, it's still a plug in hybrid. I can use an axe to pound nails, but that doesn't make it a hammer.

Right, it swings both ways, therefore hybrid, or, in the ad context, "Bi". (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) It's no more accurate to say "I'm electric" than it would be to say "I'm an ICE". You're a plug in hybrid, really come out and embrace it.

The electric advertising allowed the Volt to be included in a electric car panel that the city where I live recently held. Had GM been honest and billed the Volt a hybrid then it wouldn't have been included. Basically, it's misinformation to confuse the public as to what constitutes and electric car.

The motor is electric, full stop. The power source can vary between gas and battery. Then again, you can argue a full BEV has varying power sources as well (coal, wind, NG, etc).

I think taking a purist stance at this point is counter productive. When EVs, in whatever form, comprise a significant sales % in 10-15 years, the market will start to make the purist differentiation because it'll then matter to consumers who will, by then, have some idea what it means.