Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh noes! I boughts the wrong car. Now I can't use the bathroom at gas stations in my LEAF!

Never fear. There is an all-electric solution that will fit in the back of your Leaf.

incinolet.jpg

i havent read any of the posted but the volt is simply a very expensive plug in hybrid, that can maybe be compared to a prius but not a leaf, which actually is an ev. the only reason that the volt is so suckish is because the oil companies are slowing down everyones ev technologies from advancing(the same goes for the leaf as well). i guess small companies like tesla arent affected too much from the oil companies because they were made only to make ev's and maybe the big oil companies dont see them as much of a threat. the reaso that both the volt and leaf look very odd are also to make them look different to the people so they dont buy them
My thoughts can be verified with the simple fact that chevy actually had a more advanced ev in the 90's that were scrapped for no apparent reason(oil companies again).

oh ya thats right the new leaf ad also says that the volt is pretty much a plug-in hybrid also. did you guys know that after 45 mph(it might also be 50, 55, 60, or 65; i dont remember) the volt only uses the gas engine inside of it, and the electric engine and battery just become a weight

oh ya thats right the new leaf ad also says that the volt is pretty much a plug-in hybrid also. did you guys know that after 45 mph(it might also be 50, 55, 60, or 65; i dont remember) the volt only uses the gas engine inside of it, and the electric engine and battery just become a weight

Hello techboy,

Yes you are correct, you don't remember. Because it is not at 45, 50, 55 60 or 65 mph. The Volt always uses that electric "weight" (motor) at the speeds you noted. The gas engine will not ever assist, unless the Volt's algorithms sense it is additively more efficient, which is generally when MG 1 is powering the car at maximum rpm (at or above 70 mph), and MG 2 is deployed to create greater efficiencies, or to go faster than 70 mph. Note that MG 1 and MG 2 are electric motors (not just weights) with MG 2 also serving as a generator to provide electricity when the engine is deployed or the battery is below the 65% charge threshold.

In addition the battery always maintains a buffer charge which the car uses to supplement peak power needs and accept charge from regen.

I find it interesting that you employ the arguments of oil company shills as opposed to ideas held by people who really care about, "the simple fact that chevy actually had a more advanced ev in the 90's that were scrapped for no apparent reason(oil companies again)."

Last edited:
Hello techboy,

Yes you are correct, you don't remember. Because it is not at 45, 50, 55 60 or 65 mph. The Volt always uses that electric "weight" (motor) at the speeds you noted. The gas engine will not ever assist, unless the Volt's algorithms sense it is additively more efficient, which is generally when MG 1 is powering the car at maximum rpm (at or above 70 mph), and MG 2 is deployed to create greater efficiencies, or to go faster than 70 mph. Note that MG 1 and MG 2 are electric motors (not just weights) with MG 2 also serving as a generator to provide electricity when the engine is deployed or the battery is below the 65% charge threshold.

In addition the battery always maintains a buffer charge which the car uses to supplement peak power needs and accept charge from regen.

Pleas keep in mind that the MG2 will slip into place over 70 mph, but the ICE will not provide any power or mechanical connected power if the Volt is in CD mode (electric mode). Sorry Techboy you must be thinking of the Plug in Prius.

I liked how this one used a gasoline station as a "limitation" even though the copy was implying electric was the limitation.

BTW, Talked to a crew member who recently worked on a Volt commercial. He said the GM clients on the job were pessimistic about the car and it's rollout and future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Reason to avoid Chevy Volts:
Electric car catches fire after crash test

Sensationalist headline, and most people won't make it to the second paragraph, which states:

Based on testing so far, however, regulators believe the batteries are safe and do not pose a greater fire risk than petrol-powered engines, a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration official said. The official requested anonymity in order to speak freely.