Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pictures from CES of the next gen Volt
http://www.cnet.com/news/chevrolet-gives-us-a-sneak-peek-of-the-new-volt-at-ces-2015/
B6jy2F2CcAEVZHS.jpg

1932319_10152610659211009_7843143825731201475_n.jpg

I still wish GM would have stuck with the concept 'Camaro'ish' look vs. the Prius-clone it ended up being. Sexy sells.

View attachment 68160

The "Camaro look" is not sexy. It's ugly. If I were playing Family Feud and were asked to "Name an ugly car" I would say "Chevrolet Camaro" because I wouldn't be able to think of any other car. If GM wants to sell more cars they need to accept that the majority of US _car_ (note car) buyers actually do not like large, ugly "muscle car" grilles and their insistence otherwise contributes to Cadillac and Lincoln's miserable sales.

(I am not American, but neither are the significant majority new luxury cars in the USA).

I really, really, really hope GM has got over their irrational fear of the H word and with the Gen 2 Volt will go more kammback and will deliberately go after potential Prius buyers, because Toyota is leaving the market wide open.

The "Camaro look" is not sexy. It's ugly. If I were playing Family Feud and were asked to "Name an ugly car" I would say "Chevrolet Camaro" because I wouldn't be able to think of any other car. If GM wants to sell more cars they need to accept that the majority of US _car_ (note car) buyers actually do not like large, ugly "muscle car" grilles and their insistence otherwise contributes to Cadillac and Lincoln's miserable sales.

This statement is beyond ridiculous. As neither Cadillac nor Lincoln have "muscle car " grilles.

Camaro far outsells Volt despite being a 2+2 coupe.

Camaro, Mustang, Charger and Challenger are Muscle Cars.

And on looks alone you can add Viper.

Cadillac and Lincoln's miserable sales have nothing to do with "muscle car" grills or styling but due to the fact that they have traditionally had very soft suspensions catering to Americans born before 1945. They are almost all dead now. They have survived recently catering to the hip hop crowd and those that want to give a middle finger to conservation and environmentalism by selling them Escalades and Navigators.

They are now trying to cater to generations of American car buyers that have grown up on firmer sportier Foreign Brand suspensions. Changing the perception that all Cadillac and Lincoln sedans are land yachts from the 70's Brougham and Town Car era is hard to do.

I like the look, in part for the way the front sticks forward. It's more clear from the side shots how this is a feature that may separate the car's impression from the others. It also makes the "where do I put the front plate" more challenging. Both Mahoney and Reuss have answered questions this week of "What about $2 gas?", with some variation of "sustainability" being on the minds of Volt customers who, they think, will see past it.

Much better than the current Volt; however the Opel/Buick Ampere is still a lot more futuristic looking...

View attachment 68157

I still wish GM would have stuck with the concept 'Camaro'ish' look vs. the Prius-clone it ended up being. Sexy sells.

View attachment 68160

Heck no the current Volt's front end is great looking.

The new volt looks like a honda civic and toyota camry from the front. And those cheap looking headlights are lame.

GM just cant seem to design an overall good looking EV.

Make some adjustments on the current Volt and it would be fantastic.

is the new volt better looking than hte previous? yes

is it good looking? well....if you like the new civic, yes. i do like the new civic, but then again, i hate excessive applications of chrome. and the new volt has that.

so, the good and the bad.

ps: camaro looks great. that mock camaro pic above does not. these are scientific, undisputable facts.

I need some better pictures of the new Volt to form an opinion or better yet I will see it at NAIAS. Although the current Volt is a good looking car now that they improved the rear end, I do like the Ampera look even better which is why I converted my Volt to one.
I agree, next week when we get a full unveiling is when I will judge the next gen volt. The interior and fuel/electric specs are not out yet which is the half of the car I care about the most.

This statement is beyond ridiculous. As neither Cadillac nor Lincoln have "muscle car " grilles.

I call them "muscle car" grilles, because they deliberately use a design ethic of unnecessarily large grilles to communicate power to Americans based on a cultural association of grille size with the cooling requirements of large, (badly-engineered) powerful engines. It's an American design ethic. A European might associate a large grille with power, but clumsy power like a truck, not a performance car.

There's a reason Ford quickly abandoned their hideous, shiny Fusion grille.

Camaro far outsells Volt despite being a 2+2 coupe.

Camaro, Mustang, Charger and Challenger are Muscle Cars.

And on looks alone you can add Viper.

Cadillac and Lincoln's miserable sales have nothing to do with "muscle car" grills or styling but due to the fact that they have traditionally had very soft suspensions catering to Americans born before 1945. They are almost all dead now. They have survived recently catering to the hip hop crowd and those that want to give a middle finger to conservation and environmentalism by selling them Escalades and Navigators.

They are now trying to cater to generations of American car buyers that have grown up on firmer sportier Foreign Brand suspensions. Changing the perception that all Cadillac and Lincoln sedans are land yachts from the 70's Brougham and Town Car era is hard to do.

If they want to build consideration they should understand that if they don't stop their very American design ethic people will continue to think that it's a very American car.

Back on topic: only 6 days until the Volt 2 reveal. Although I want my next car to be a BEV, I find it exciting because a good Volt could sell very well. I want GM to make me want to replace my current Volt. If the exterior ends up being much more like a Prius, I'll consider it a good thing because the Prius shape is largely determined by aerodynamics (even if my wife would be disappointed).

Last edited:
See, proof that everyone can't agree on what is appealing. A lot of people complain that concept cars never make it to production and look dumbed down. Others think concept cars are hideous. I wouldnt want to be a car designer, you just can't please everyone.

I like the fact that certain cars have a polarizing design, even if I don't like the specific design. The i3 for example. I love the fact that it exists and that some people like the design. Like Saab before the GM acquisition. We need more personality in cars, not less.

Full specs just released
Lighter, faster, 50 mile EV range, seats 5. No big surprises but good news all around as far as improvements.
Next Generation 2016 Chevrolet Volt Debuts - Full Specs

Nice catch. Thanks. Sounds like they just replaced their older chemistry cells with higher energy density ones. Maybe left the battery casing the same as before. Minimal reengineering needed.

cell counts changed a little. Does look like roughly same battery casing.