Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GMC Hummer Debut 2020-10-20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although now a GMC model instead of its own brand, Hummer is still being marketed as an upscale truck line. When you consider where new Hummer H1 retail prices were 15-20 years ago, the Hummer EV Edition 1 is kind of a bargain by comparison.

I also understand that despite being a GMC model, not all GMC dealers will be authorized to carry the Hummer model line at least initially.

Actually, the EV-1 was developed in California not in Michigan. GM outsourced their EV program to Aerovironment in SoCal rather than develop it in-house. Many of the Sunraycer/Impact/EV-1 engineers went on to form AC Propulsion, which created the Tzero electric sports car, which in turn inspired the Tesla Roadster.

Tesla's cars, not the LG Bolt, are the direct linear descendent of the GM EV-1!

While Aerovironment, and Hughes played a large role in Sunraycer, and Aerovironment in Impact, a lot of EV-1 was done in GM circles. Read the book "The Car That Could" by Michael Shnayerson. It was published in 1996 and documents in great detail the developments, politics, and who did what, leading up to the EV-1.

Agree that Alan Cocconi played a large role in both the Aerovironment efforts, and later, as AC Propulsion, getting Tesla off the ground with the Tzero.

GM has been playing with EVs in one way or another since the 1910s. Even earlier if you count Ransom E Olds's early EV efforts.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and uujjj2
I wouldn't be so sure.

The E-Hummer doesn't even exist yet. Not even in prototype form.

Yet they expect to release next year?
This is because they partnered with Nikola and we all know how that turned out for Nikola. Nikola did the same trickery with rolling their Semi down the hill because a working version didn't exist. Now I think GM is in a very bad spot but we shall see what happens.

This is because they partnered with Nikola and we all know how that turned out for Nikola. Nikola did the same trickery with rolling their Semi down the hill because a working version didn't exist. Now I think GM is in a very bad spot but we shall see what happens.
Although in the terms of that deal, it was GM doing the manufacturing for Nikola. So if anything, it would seem that GM should have been farther along on their platform development if they expected to be doing that (and getting paid for it).

The Hummer has nothing to do with Nikola. And the Nikola Semi is unrelated to the GM/Nikola partnership.

GM wants to avoid another bankruptcy. Cool commercials and a message of EV innovation are all they have. GM also knows they can’t achieve it and are merely trying to raise the stock price temporarily before their inevitable demise.

Yes, GM has experience alright. A fair amount of bad quality experiences (some very serious like fires & brakes) also delays. That is why so many people fled GM, Ford for Toyota, Honda, Nissan.

Uhhhh. you seriously want to start throwing stones about quality issues on a TESLA board? Wow, that is rich. Why don't you spend some time in the Model 3/Y forums and read about that really quality Tesla QA. :rolleyes:

GM wants to avoid another bankruptcy. Cool commercials and a message of EV innovation are all they have. GM also knows they can’t achieve it and are merely trying to raise the stock price temporarily before their inevitable demise.
You do know that Tesla alone cannot save the planet? You do know that we need ALL manufacturers to build and mature their EV programs if we have a chance of saving the planet?

Why the frak do so many people on this board rush to doomsay any other manufacturer's EV programs? Tesla's are not for everyone and Tesla's customer service is horrific. I promise you that if I hit a deer in a GM product it won't take them 3 months to get me a bumper, hood, and front fender.

Every time a manufacturer rolls out a new EV we should all be cheering.

Uhhhh. you seriously want to start throwing stones about quality issues on a TESLA board? Wow, that is rich. Why don't you spend some time in the Model 3/Y forums and read about that really quality Tesla QA. :rolleyes:

You do know that Tesla alone cannot save the planet? You do know that we need ALL manufacturers to build and mature their EV programs if we have a chance of saving the planet?

Why the frak do so many people on this board rush to doomsay any other manufacturer's EV programs? Tesla's are not for everyone and Tesla's customer service is horrific. I promise you that if I hit a deer in a GM product it won't take them 3 months to get me a bumper, hood, and front fender.

I have no problem with new EV companies that want to truly move us toward clean renewal energy.

Legacy manufactures that have had decades to do something about saving the planet are now trying to come across like they are trying to catch-up. GM and Oil have done everything they could to kill EVs over the years. No excuses - they should own it and stop trying to fool the masses with slick advertising. GM bankrupt AGAIN by 2025 - no more bailouts either.

Uhhhh. you seriously want to start throwing stones about quality issues on a TESLA board? Wow, that is rich. Why don't you spend some time in the Model 3/Y forums and read about that really quality Tesla QA.

I have owned enough GM vehicles to know about GM quality. I owned several models (late 1960s to 2000s) of GM cars over 35 years before I finally bought a Honda.

All quality issues are not the same. Tesla problems with panel gaps & some bad paint spots are minor compared to ICE vehicle problems - engine fires, engine failures, fuel/oil/transmission leaks, exhaust leaks (many deaths), explosions (design of Ford Pinto), poor running or won't run because of emission control, etc.

1971-1980 Ford Pinto was included in "Worst Cars of All Time" lists by
both Forbes and Time magazines. There were many problems with the
car's design, but the biggest (and most tragic) was the placement of
the fuel tank in the back, which often caused it to explode if
involved in a rear-collision. ** Ford knew of the defect; eight of 11
cars put through their own rear-collision test burst into flames. Ford
Pinto is a case study in failure of management & business ethics -
specifically NOT HAVING ANY. **

1984-1988, the GM Pontiac Fiero
To help deal with the crowded engine bay, Pontiac reduced the size of
the oil pan from four quarts to three, meaning the Fiero always ran
out of oil sooner than its owner expected. Add to this the fact that
people tried to drive it like a sports car (even though it wasn't
really one), and the Fiero was a recipe for disaster.
*** one out of every 400 Fieros on the road caught fire. ***

Yes, we will cheer if manufacturer is making an honest effort. GM & Ford had decades head start. Hummer Electric is a joke. After all these years, not even full specs yet on Silverado pickup or F-150 electric. Chevy Bolt BEV was not bad but GM never really advertised it to consumers so they really did not want to sell it.

Just like with smart phones. None of the top feature phone manufacturer (Nokia, Blackberry, Motorola) are at the top today.

Uhhhh. you seriously want to start throwing stones about quality issues on a TESLA board? Wow, that is rich. Why don't you spend some time in the Model 3/Y forums and read about that really quality Tesla QA.

Ford’s Mega Recall
Ford Windstar, Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger
During a 10-year period that stretched from 1999 to 2009, Ford Motor Company issued eight different recalls for a total of more than 14 million vehicles. Vehicle would catch fire, even when the vehicle was parked and turned off. Over the course of that 10-year recall period, hundreds of fires were reported and thousands of complaints were logged by the NHTSA.

** vehicle owners were advised to park their vehicles outside and away from any structure until recall repairs were done. **

I have no problem with new EV companies that want to truly move us toward clean renewal energy.

Legacy manufactures that have had decades to do something about saving the planet are now trying to come across like they are trying to catch-up. GM and Oil have done everything they could to kill EVs over the years. No excuses - they should own it and stop trying to fool the masses with slick advertising. GM bankrupt AGAIN by 2025 - no more bailouts either.
Maybe they actually ARE trying to catch up? It is very hard for legacy manufacturers to go in a new direction. Look at how much cash Tesla has incinerated to get where they are today? Shareholders and boards are hesitant to invest the huge amounts required for a payback that will take years and years to realize. Do remember that Tesla is not profitable without tax credits. Tesla shareholders are willing to fund the investment because they know what they're getting into. GM, Ford, etc shareholders expect a steady price and a reliable dividend.

But now things have changed. Tesla has shown the world that EVs can be successful. Tesla has also helped drive battery prices down, which are critical to getting more EVs on the road.

Finally, GM has been one of the best legacy manufacturers when it comes to electrification. I believe they are the only company besides Tesla that has sold enough to have their tax credit reduced. I know we purists poo-poo cars like the Volt but they are acceptable to a lot of people, can be a stepping stone to a pure BEV, and even PHEVs (ones with proper batteries, not the Prius) reduce gas usage.

This isn't a US problem either. The European manufacturers have all been drug kicking and screaming to electrification by their governments. Again, change is hard, and we should celebrate when people and companies turn towards a better path.

I have owned enough GM vehicles to know about GM quality. I owned several models (late 1960s to 2000s) of GM cars over 35 years before I finally bought a Honda.
We have had a number of GM vehicles over my lifetime and all have ran over 100,000 miles with no major issues. My Dad's mid-90's pickup truck was sold to his next door neighbor w/ just under 200,000 miles on the odo and it is still running today. My 2006 Corvette was flawless and an amazing car. Now my Father did (and instilled in me) a fanatical approach to maintenance which probably helped.

You say that the legacy manufacturers had decades to jump on board. But you are not being realistic. Until Tesla (and our fascination with electronic gadgets) drove battery prices down and new chemistries were developed, EVs were not competitive price-wise with ICEs and their range was horrible. That is just a fact. If GM had gone all-in with BEVs even 10 years ago and spent the kind of money that Tesla has, the management team would have been sacked.

At the end of the day, GM sells a gazillion more cars than Tesla. We need everyone on board w/ electrification.

Maybe they actually ARE trying to catch up? It is very hard for legacy manufacturers to go in a new direction. Look at how much cash Tesla has incinerated to get where they are today? Shareholders and boards are hesitant to invest the huge amounts required for a payback that will take years and years to realize. Do remember that Tesla is not profitable without tax credits. Tesla shareholders are willing to fund the investment because they know what they're getting into. GM, Ford, etc shareholders expect a steady price and a reliable dividend.

But now things have changed. Tesla has shown the world that EVs can be successful. Tesla has also helped drive battery prices down, which are critical to getting more EVs on the road.

Finally, GM has been one of the best legacy manufacturers when it comes to electrification. I believe they are the only company besides Tesla that has sold enough to have their tax credit reduced. I know we purists poo-poo cars like the Volt but they are acceptable to a lot of people, can be a stepping stone to a pure BEV, and even PHEVs (ones with proper batteries, not the Prius) reduce gas usage.

This isn't a US problem either. The European manufacturers have all been drug kicking and screaming to electrification by their governments. Again, change is hard, and we should celebrate when people and companies turn towards a better path.

It would be nice if you are right. I suppose time will tell.