Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GMC Hummer Debut 2020-10-20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's ugly, but obviously beauty is a personal thing. It just seems so 1980 with its shoebox aerodynamics. I'm sure it'll find an audience, but it's going to be more aspirational than anything at those prices. Hopefully, it'll share its platform with other GM trucks so that they can release more EV trucks at competitive prices. The more, the merrier.

A call out to Celebs, Ballers, Players, athletes and wanna be outdoorsy types ( you know who you are driving $60K four door Jeep CJs that never leave the pavement). Your next chariot has arrived and still show your "green" credentials. I don't expect the audience here to understand this vehicle, but mark my words, this will be the next "it" vehicle. Now I get why GM did this, brilliant.

I can see this happening. This isn't selling to true green enthusiasts or the EV geeks at TMC. And people who want a practical truck are better off with a Cybertruck, e-Silverado, or even Rivian. But the Hummer truck has the most bling, for sure.

Has GM said when they will introduce the Chevy pick-up EV?

GM Promises a 400-Mile Range Electric Pickup

"All GM would confirm is that the Chevrolet BET (battery-electric truck) will be a full-size pickup and get that 400 miles of range with a 50- to 200-kWh battery. Production begins in Q4 of 2021. We’re likely talking about an electric Silverado in this case, which would make the most sense, but it could be something wilder. Say what you will about Tesla, but it’s not afraid to go for the design jugular. The report can be read in its entirety here."

Reactions: Fred42
By the time I had checked the website around 11pm ET, the “Edition 1” reservations were already full.

Sheesh. I wonder how few of them they plan to make. Maybe an artificially low number so they’d be sure to run out of reservations for publicity/marketing sake.(?)

I was hoping for more, and to be honest a lower price. 350 mile 112k? The hummer is also based on the Nikola badger platform. I’m sticking with CT reservation for ~40k less with FSD.

Highly unlikely. There is no such thing as a Nikola Badger platform and GM was developing the Hummer EV way before Nikola even thought of building a pickup truck.

I paid $116k for my Model X 100D two years ago. A fully loaded 5-seater performance Model X today costs around $110k-$116k. The Hummer has similar range, and acceleration and arguably an equal or nicer interior (way nicer than the Cybertruck). It also has way more off-road tech (crab walk, 6in air suspension, underbody cameras) and capability, more utility with the truck bed, cool features like the removable roof, and charges at 350kW.

I have no desire to get one, but honestly it seems like a reasonable price for all the performance and tech. The Cybertruck is much more of a work truck with very minimal interior, and features but will obviously be in a much different price range and a different buyer.

I'm just glad that all of these guys rolling coal with the bro-dozers my actually start to lust after EV trucks.

I paid $116k for my Model X 100D two years ago. A fully loaded 5-seater performance Model X today costs around $110k-$116k. The Hummer has similar range, and acceleration and arguably an equal or nicer interior (way nicer than the Cybertruck). It also has way more off-road tech (crab walk, 6in air suspension, underbody cameras) and capability, more utility with the truck bed, cool features like the removable roof, and charges at 350kW.

I have no desire to get one, but honestly it seems like a reasonable price for all the performance and tech. The Cybertruck is much more of a work truck with very minimal interior, and features but will obviously be in a much different price range and a different buyer.

I'm just glad that all of these guys rolling coal with the bro-dozers my actually start to lust after EV trucks.

Yea I'd consider it if I was looking at a model x but it seems to be a way more capable vehicle than a model X. Not that anyone will use most of what it can do.

By the time I had checked the website around 11pm ET, the “Edition 1” reservations were already full.

Sheesh. I wonder how few of them they plan to make. Maybe an artificially low number so they’d be sure to run out of reservations for publicity/marketing sake.(?)

They will make a lot of them. People are liking the Hummer EV in other forums. I like it too I just wish it was cheaper and smaller.

The reservation is a joke though. You pay $100 to get assigned a spot with a dealership. The dealership calls you when it's time to order and makes the price whatever they want. They will mark these up 20k over msrp. I tried to get a new corvette c8 and they were all doing this.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The tidbit about having an 800V battery on all trim-levels except the base model (which will get a 400V battery) is interesting.

Will allow for impressive charging speeds, assuming the infrastructure is there to support it.

They are making the dealerships themselves have the chargers if they want to sell EVs. That's a big start at least. If GMs packs can all switch voltage to 800v the smaller vehicles coming out with smaller packs will be able to charge super fast.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Something nobody is bringing up...

The battery tech is very interesting. They can change out individual battery modules if one fails. You don't have to scrap the whole battery pack. Also the modules are wireless and possibly upgradeable.

Manufacturers have never had to scrap whole battery packs. They _replace_ whole battery packs, refurbish and make it a warranty replacement.

Reactions: transpondster
Just noticed this thing has 18 cameras. I know two are under it but that is still way more than anyone needs.

Maybe this is for future updates to next gen supercruise? That or they just wanted to have more cameras than everyone else.

Manufacturers have never had to scrap whole battery packs. They _replace_ whole battery packs, refurbish and make it a warranty replacement.

Sorry, Bad use of words on my part. I was thinking these battery packs are more repairable at the dealership. Taking out my Tesla battery and sending it away is me discarding it for a refurbished. It's not scrap for the next person that gets it but for me it sort of is. I don't like the idea of getting a refurbished battery that may have more use than mine. I take care of my stuff.

The tidbit about having an 800V battery on all trim-levels except the base model (which will get a 400V battery) is interesting.

Will allow for impressive charging speeds, assuming the infrastructure is there to support it.

Battery pack voltage does not change the cell level charge acceptance rate so it will have no effect on charging speed.

Something nobody is bringing up...

The battery tech is very interesting. They can change out individual battery modules if one fails. You don't have to scrap the whole battery pack. Also the modules are wireless and possibly upgradeable.
No modules are not wireless, the BMS uses wireless communication. It's also not simple to just change out a module because a new module will have different cell characteristics than a used one which can make keeping them in balance difficult. Note that the GM battery tech is going in the opposite direction from Tesla who is reducing and eventually eliminating the number of modules in favor of a monolithic pack. If you think your cell chemistry is good enough you don't need to bother with individual modules.