Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GME and AMC stock action (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interactive Brokers Takes Action on Actively Traded Symbols

In addition, long stock positions will require 100% margin and short stock positions will require 300% margin until further notice. We do not believe this situation will subside until the exchanges and regulators halt or put certain symbols into liquidation only. We will continue to monitor market conditions and may add or remove symbols as may be warranted.
:eek::eek::eek:

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Not having skin in this game, what I want to know is, can this situation lead to a domino effect that could take out the market? Could something happen like Robinhood goes bankrupt, which takes out X, which takes out Y, which takes out the NASDAQ, which takes out the S&P and the next thing we know TSLA is trading at 180, retirees are going back to work, and unemployment is up to 15%?

If this is a possibility I care. If it's an isolated phenomenon, I don't really care that much.

Not having skin in this game, what I want to know is, can this situation lead to a domino effect that could take out the market? Could something happen like Robinhood goes bankrupt, which takes out X, which takes out Y, which takes out the NASDAQ, which takes out the S&P and the next thing we know TSLA is trading at 180, retirees are going back to work, and unemployment is up to 15%?

If this is a possibility I care. If it's an isolated phenomenon, I don't really care that much.
Pretty much the opposite is what's happening here. $30-100B is flowing from the pockets of scumbag hedge funds back intot he market and out to various retail investors and other hedge funders. It's closer to being stimulative than destructive IMO.

It seems to me that is actually the only way forward.

i think it’s more isolated than that.
it’s possible a broker who isn’t handling orders and risk correctly can be hurt bad. this can have a ripple effect but i don’t think the same systemic risk like 2008

in the other hand, what’s more likely to affect market prices are if a few more hedge funds blow up and they have to firesale the good stock to fund the covering of the crap stock they’ve shorted. we’ve already seen some rumblings of this tuesday and yesterday.

if melvin and maple lane are really in trouble, they won’t be the only ones. and if the backlash has worked on the basket of small and mid cap heavily shorted stocks then whoever’s bankrolling that paradigm shift and short burning may keep going onto the next bigger fish.

i’m all for making them pay and giving them a taste of their own medicine but it may cause some hiccups for us tsla holders along the way is all.

I just made the mistake of skimming Steve Cohen's wiki page, then SAC Capital, then Citadel, then Ken Griffin. I'm quite literally nauseous with anger.

These clowns have basically been openly insider trading since 1985 with nearly zero repercussions. They show up out of the blue to bail out Melvin out of the kindness of their hearts. This needs to not work.

I'll be selling a few TSLA shares tomorrow at the open to shift into GME as needed. Gaining complete perspective on this whole thing is a revolting exercise, but it's worth doing. What's coming to a head this week is a BIG DEAL.

Robinhood should not be allowed to make 40% of their revenue from selling orders to mainly Citadel, WHO OWNS THE DAMN CONTRACTS people are buying and selling. There needs to be top-down change. The further this is pushed, the clearer that will be to the average person.

My advice here to everyone worried about spillover - which is a real possibility:

Take off your own leveraged positions.
Have a plan to buy the dip.
Don’t panic sell.
Optional: Join a bit in the madness. I recommend GME and BB personally.
Optional 2: Hedge with some Bitcoin.

AMC is a fav but they don’t have a real business so high chance of bag holding when this all settled. CNK far more stable if doing a covid recovery play in the same space. You don’t see them being squeezed or getting bailed out or raising cash like AMC.

This seems somewhat reasonable from TDAmeritrade:

We have placed some restrictions on the following securities. These restrictions will not prevent clients from making basic buy and sell transactions. This list is as of January 28, 2021, 4:00PM ET.

• AMC, CVM, EXPR, FOSL, GME, NOK, BB, BBBY, FIZZ, GSX, IRBT, NCMI, TR, UONE, VIR, NAK, NAKD, DDS, KOSS
The following restrictions are in place:
  • Stocks - 100% holding requirement (not marginable)
  • Long calls and puts are allowed
  • Covered call and short put orders may only be placed with a broker. Please be aware that wait times to speak with a broker may be longer than normal due to current market conditions.
    • Covered calls only allowed if your account currently has the shares
    • Short puts only if you have the maintenance/cash to cover the entire exercise amount of the short puts
  • All other complex options orders will not be accepted
TD Ameritrade Trading Restrictions on Stocks | TD Ameritrade

I think the shark has been jumped.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 6.55.45 PM.png

And here's the IB CEO. At least he says more. So, he is setting the stage to blame the retail investors for having to do this to them. Ugh!

Wow, he slipped out the true reason, probably accidentally!
"when you say in the middle of the game, you mean when the squeeze is going on stronger and stronger, but that is 'illegal'"
so IB is under the illusion that squeezing the shorts is somehow illegal and they HAD to stop it !?!? WOW!
Here it is ladies and gentleman, clear admission they are protecting the short sellers!

ps: I hope the SEC wakes up and comes down hard on these blatant manipulators (RH, IB, everyone who blocked buying today) colluding with the hedge funds, who manipulated the stock in the first place by 140% shorting.

Last edited: