Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GME and AMC stock action (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Miami in da House!

Patrick OShaughnessy on Twitter: "A plane just flew down South Beach with the messageBuy GameStop stock WSB” trailing behind it." / Twitter​

Es2LrSyXAAMk89o

This is the end game... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

At least they're covering their bases by blocking all US stock orders.

No they are NOT! They are only blocking BUY ORDERS. And now its for all U.S. equities, not just $GME and its ilk.

The Shorts are licking their chops. ONLY SELLING allowed! Manna from heaven...

Luckily, very little volume from the UK relative to the size of US Markets.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
No they are NOT! They are only blocking BUY ORDERS. And now its for all U.S. equities, not just $GME and its ilk.

The Shorts are licking their chops. ONLY SELLING allowed! Manna from heaven...

Luckily, very little volume from the UK relative to the size of US Markets.

closing only means you can buy to close or sell to close stock or options
they are blocking opening sells and opening buys
i dont agree with blocking an opening buy by the way

why cant i use my $ to buy a put or a call or a share?
i understand not allowing an opening sell, if the share(s) are not available to short, because you cannot locate a borrow to cover that sale

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
If the side effect of GME etc is the rest of the market taking a bath, this effort hurts retail investors more than it helps them unless some kind of serious reform is enacted that helps everyone over the long term.

So I’ve posted a couple times about this now, but the now debunked theory that Robinhood partnered with funds to shut down yesterday has people putting their money down in an ideological sense. A lot of people are gonna get hurt like this.

What happened yesterday was robinhood ran out of cash because the volume and volatility of trading jacked up the SEC and DTC deposit requirements beyond their cash on hand. You can’t use customer cash for it by regulation.

while I am not a libertarian so I disagree with the conclusion on Dodd-frank here this Twitter user does a good job, along with some other info I shared in my posts last night, on how the capital requirements for these meme stonks jumped up to an amount higher than anyone could really forecast. I encourage everyone to learn about settlement and clearing.

https://twitter.com/KralcTrebor/status/1354952686165225478

Good answer, but too detailed :)

TL;DR: When you buy or sell a stock, you have two days to settle. ie. I buy GME today, but I don't have to pay for it until two days from now. The broker is on the hook to make sure you pay. In a normal stock, the broker has a bunch of cancelling buy/sells so their net exposure is minimal and the volatility in the stock is reasonable. GME and others broke that mold since brokers like RH mostly had buy orders and volatility was through the roof. So RH absolutely needed more liquidity to manage their credit risk. More importantly, they should have done things like demand 100% margin for buying/selling rather than restrict buying.

RH CEO, Vlad, on CNBC yesterday was a disaster. I got the distinct impression he doesn't know how market mechanics works. Not a good look for a CEO. Trust, gone.

Good answer, but too detailed :)

TL;DR: When you buy or sell a stock, you have two days to settle. ie. I buy GME today, but I don't have to pay for it until two days from now. The broker is on the hook to make sure you pay. In a normal stock, the broker has a bunch of cancelling buy/sells so their net exposure is minimal and the volatility in the stock is reasonable. GME and others broke that mold since brokers like RH mostly had buy orders and volatility was through the roof. So RH absolutely needed more liquidity to manage their credit risk. More importantly, they should have done things like demand 100% margin for buying/selling rather than restrict buying.

RH CEO, Vlad, on CNBC yesterday was a disaster. I got the distinct impression he doesn't know how market mechanics works. Not a good look for a CEO. Trust, gone.

One more thing - why does the market take two days to settle? Part of it is historical (in my lifetime it used to be 7 days so that people could buy stocks and then put a check in the mail to pay for it), but the other reason is that brokers make money from it. By default, brokers (like RH) open up a "margin" account for you. This allows you to borrow money to buy/sell stocks. The (current) 1.5% or more interest they make on such loans is now a significant part of a brokers revenue since commissions are essentially non-existent. So, the 2 day settlement period is likely not going away anytime soon.

The real issue here is that certain brokers (like RH) didn't react fast enough to the reddit trades to either increase their own credit lines or slap on 100% margin requirements on certain stocks. They had to panic and do something even stupider. RH deserves to die for being part of this debacle. It was avoidable, but they didn't know what they were doing apparently.