Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going crazy about Performance brakes? [Tesla using caliper covers on rear brakes of Y performance after supplier switch]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until I have the right tools to jack up the car and remove the wheel, here are a few shots of the revised MYP Mando caliper with the cover.
20230105_202040.jpg

20230105_202951.jpg

20230105_203125.jpg

20230105_203205.jpg

Thoroughly read the MPP article and it looks like I may have found the answer to my question, shows that the Mando caliper is still red and the rotor is the same size and weight. Does anyone have photos of the "Mando Base (Red)" caliper that's under the cover? Thinking about how it would look if I just removed the obvious caliper cover over it, especially if the Mando caliper is red.

View attachment 892756
More details here:
Credit to ZEVcentric for images:

Fl7RGjvaAAAfAcq.jpeg.jpgFl7RGjxaYAAEEtn.jpeg.jpgScreenshot_20230108_075343_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230108_075411_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VegasMYP

What's interesting is that Tesla advertises the Performance model having "Performance Brakes" yet they're just LR brakes with bigger covers on them.

Dang I'm famous. Those are my hands!!!!!!! I can't believe how viral this went on twitter. LOL. So many people argue the function but that's not the point. The point is that old lesser expensive models got Brembo rear calipers and the new ones do not but they are marketed as a Performance upgrade. The front brakes were never really upgraded minus a potentially 2mm thicker rotor which any Model Y can buy from the SC and retrofit. The Front calipers are identical minus the color. The whole thing we paid for is the larger pad and better rotor in the rear which we no longer get. I'm so sad!!!!!

Dang I'm famous. Those are my hands!!!!!!! I can't believe how viral this went on twitter. LOL. So many people argue the function but that's not the point. The point is that old lesser expensive models got Brembo rear calipers and the new ones do not but they are marketed as a Performance upgrade. The front brakes were never really upgraded minus a potentially 2mm thicker rotor which any Model Y can buy from the SC and retrofit. The Front calipers are identical minus the color. The whole thing we paid for is the larger pad and better rotor in the rear which we no longer get. I'm so sad!!!!!
Telsa announced the change and said there would be no difference in performance. On the grand scheme of things this is mostly trivial. But if people want to spent time (equals money) and energy fighting this with Tesla more power to them.

After reading about this on EV insider I am quite upset. I paid a premium for the performance model with the understanding it was equipped with performance brakes. Not just in the front, but all around the vehicle. These fake plastic brakes are false advertising and misleading. What recourse do we have as consumers? Those that have been impacted by this need to collectively voice our displeasure. Tesla is really hurting its brand with this chintzy mentality.

After reading about this on EV insider I am quite upset. I paid a premium for the performance model with the understanding it was equipped with performance brakes. Not just in the front, but all around the vehicle. These fake plastic brakes are false advertising and misleading. What recourse do we have as consumers? Those that have been impacted by this need to collectively voice our displeasure. Tesla is really hurting its brand with this chintzy mentality.

It's not a big issue man, though I do understand the annoyance. However this is way blown out of proportion. The Brembo that was replaced is a floating caliper with a cast in cover. It was replaced with a floating caliper with a plastic cover. It's still the same thing ironically. And this is what Tesla will do, follow Musk's mantra of no part is the best part, so over time they will tune and refine whittling away waste and improving where they can.

Btw, just realized you just joined to post that cuz you are so concerned??

Last edited:
It's not a big issue man, though I do understand the annoyance. However this is way blown out of proportion. The Brembo that was replaced is a floating caliper with a cast in cover. It was replaced with a floating caliper with a plastic cover. It's still the same thing ironically. And this is what Tesla will do, follow Musk's mantra of no part is the best part, so over time they will tune and refine whittling away waste and improving where they can.

Btw, just realized you just joined to post that cuz you are so concerned??
Why does Tesla advertise "Performance Brakes" for the MYP then? Should we not at least be annoyed to be actually be receiving the SAME brakes found in the LR?

Why does Tesla advertise "Performance Brakes" for the MYP then? Should we not at least be annoyed to be actually be receiving the SAME brakes found in the LR?
I believe the article states the change was only to the rear. The fronts are still brembos. Feel free to be annoyed or whatever. Most of my braking is done with the regen or the fronts so I don't really care.

*edit* I see you've been banned now.

You are still getting performance brakes. You have four-piston Brembos up front.

Out of curiosity, how often do you intend to actually use them, and under what conditions would you need that much stopping power during routine daily driving? Keep in mind that the majority of the stopping power resides in the front brakes (if actually regularly applied).

• Disagree
Reactions: StoXto3toY
I believe the article states the change was only to the rear. The fronts are still brembos. Feel free to be annoyed or whatever. Most of my braking is done with the regen or the fronts so I don't really care.

*edit* I see you've been banned now.

Wow, how did that happen? Were there things in the post that got edited out or were they doing something against forum rules in a different thread? Pretty sure bitching and moaning isn't against forum rules or it would be a ghost town in here :)

Keith

Wow, how did that happen? Were there things in the post that got edited out or were they doing something against forum rules in a different thread? Pretty sure bitching and moaning isn't against forum rules or it would be a ghost town in here :)

Keith
I don't think it was the moaning but the multiple threads that were created (by the ban-ee) for the same issue, despite it being pointed out that there was an existing thread. And that the statements being made by the poster were missing some important bits of information (somewhat misleading). Not a mod but that's my take.

Just to be clear, the rear brakes rotors on the MYP are a whopping 2mm thicker than the MYLR... so technically you still have upgraded rear brakes when compared to the MYLR. If you are silly enough to think this is a big deal, you are out of luck because that 2mm makes a difference in thermal mass of the rotor and therefore it is a performance upgrade over the rear brake system of the MYLR.

Keith

I don't think it was the moaning but the multiple threads that were created (by the ban-ee) for the same issue, despite it being pointed out that there was an existing thread. And that the statements being made by the poster were missing some important bits of information (somewhat misleading). Not a mod but that's my take.
Ahhh, so it was behavior outside of this particular thread. I never got the point in spamming multiple threads with the same story... not an effective way to get your message out IMHO.

Keith

It wasn't just this infraction. Dude was knowing playing dumb about topics, like saying the Tesla recalls are so problematic, ignoring that most of them are mandated by NHTSA. Then the next day he'd post a new thread about NHTSA removing x feature. Crap liek that rinse repeat. I can find the example if needed.