Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going crazy about Performance brakes? [Tesla using caliper covers on rear brakes of Y performance after supplier switch]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The primary argument is that Tesla alludes to the fact that there is a difference between the Long Range and the Performance model brakes, which no longer is the case. Secondly, logic would dictate that they would also make the change to the Model 3 Performance which they have not. The P3D still has the Brembos. I can only assume they feel that the Model Y P owner is not the type of consumer to justify such a part. That's much more logical to me. Tesla is more likely doing this to improve their margins by moving to the Mando caliper and associated rotor. I understand that many want to defer back to function and compare other high powered luxury vehicles that have similar Mando calipers and so forth but that doesn't change the marketing/verbiage aspect. Not to mention that Tesla set their own precedent for this. The product changed but the verbiage did not. Even if it's all bling I'd be happy knowing I am getting that "upgrade".
Hmm on principle I concur that more clarity is good, but that is a wish that is kind counter to Tesla's process. I'm not saying one is better or not, but that its not really something Tesla does. They don't even specify the battery size nor the power of the motors explicitly. I think they keep a certain degree of vagueness because that leaves them a path to evolve and revise the cars so much that it would be a burden. The Y for example has evolved a GREAT deal from its unveiling in 2019 and over time it is a better car now than at release. /shrugs

Hmm on principle I concur that more clarity is good, but that is a wish that is kind counter to Tesla's process. I'm not saying one is better or not, but that its not really something Tesla does. They don't even specify the battery size nor the power of the motors explicitly. I think they keep a certain degree of vagueness because that leaves them a path to evolve and revise the cars so much that it would be a burden. The Y for example has evolved a GREAT deal from its unveiling in 2019 and over time it is a better car now than at release. /shrugs
Agreed it is not in Tesla fashion to be specific but they were explicit that it is a performance upgraded brake system. They should have just left that out altogether.

Something I was gonna elude to but didn't is that ppl love complaining about Tesla, sometimes rightfully so and others not so much. What is ironic to me is that no one complains when Tesla delivers extra value to the car, like when they add Dog Mode or Track Mode. Yep, no threads going wtf I didn't ask for this. Or when they switched the T structure to singe piece rear casting, again no threads complaining how the stamped steel was so much better. They also revised the dampers for more comfort, again no complaints about wanting the stiffer damper. /devils advocate

Tesla engineers may have changed the rear brakes from Brembo to Mando, with smaller calipers because they know it does not make a difference in braking ability. The front brakes perform most of a vehicle's friction braking.

The Gen3 Formula E cars have no rear brakes. That's right, none. The Gen3 Formula E race cars will deliver 350kW at the rear drive and be able to reach 200 MPH. The third generation Formula E race cars will rely on front friction brakes and up to 600 kW of regenerative braking combined from both the front and rear. At this time the front motor only provides regenerative braking, all propulsion is via the rear motor. The maximum charging rate will be 600 kW; each Formula E car will have to stop for a quick charge during every race.

Formula E's faster Gen3 car starts season 9 Saturday in Mexico City

Last edited:
Tesla engineers may have changed the rear brakes from Brembo to Mando, with smaller calipers because they know it does not make a difference in braking ability. The front brakes perform most of a vehicle's friction braking.

The Gen3 Formula E cars have no rear brakes. That's right, none. The Gen3 Formula E race cars will deliver 350kW at the rear drive and be able to reach 200 MPH. The third generation Formula E race cars will rely on front friction brakes and up to 600 kW of regenerative braking combined from both the front and rear. At this time the front motor only provides regenerative braking, all propulsion is via the rear motor. The maximum charging rate will be 600 kW; each Formula E car will have to stop for a quick charge during every race.

☝🏾

Anyone know the part# for that cover?

Update: I think I got it. Part# 8008287-00-A

Attachments

• logo plate.JPG
    logo plate.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

A racetrack does not compare in any way shape or form to the street in terms of braking. Racecars brakes are typically adjustable, pads are made from different materials and the rotors are both larger & better vented.
Just because it is an EV doesn't negate the need for rear brakes. If the front brakes fail then what?
Tesla tried to pull a fast one and got busted. Just another nail in their coffin if they don't get there stuff together.

A racetrack does not compare in any way shape or form to the street in terms of braking. Racecars brakes are typically adjustable, pads are made from different materials and the rotors are both larger & better vented.
Just because it is an EV doesn't negate the need for rear brakes. If the front brakes fail then what?
Tesla tried to pull a fast one and got busted. Just another nail in their coffin if they don't get there stuff together.
I think the point he was trying to make is that the front brakes is the source of your primary stopping power and hence more critical. Not saying rear brakes should be omitted. But to your point about EVs, if regen braking is used over 90% of the time during normal everyday driving conditions then why does it matter if the rear brakes are not Brembos especially if performance isn’t severely degraded?

Reactions: jcanoe
Not suggesting that the rear brakes could be eliminated, DOT would never approve. The Mando rear brake calipers no doubt cost less than the equivalent Brembo brake parts and probably shave a little weight. Nothing wrong with that. Also, in the Tesla Model 3, Model Y the rear brakes function as the emergency brake and an electronic parking brake.

In the performance model, the rear brakes are used to help simulate a virtual LSD. This is supposed to improve grip around turns especially in track mode and drift mode. This does this by slowing down the spinning wheel (typically inside wheel in a turn) which then pushes power to the wheel with grip. So it’s interesting that Tesla decreased the brake caliper sizes in the rear just as they released track mode in the Model Y.