Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going with 4 seats - no second row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have asked and been told that there is definitely NOT a way to remove the second-row seats. They aren't just bolted in there, at least not with bolts you can get at.

I mean, sure, if you're willing to use a hack saw and a grinder, I'm sure you can do it. But supposedly you can't use tools in such a way to remove them that you could ever put them back in and have it look like new.

I am sure there is, but I fear it involves dropping the battery to be able to remove the posts.

Of course the employees did not give me that level of detail, they just said (after verifying) that it could not be done.

Bonjour from France everyone!

... I am planning to go with the 6 seats config, and then take off the two seats of the second row.

what do you think?

This remind me the Citroen CX "Prestige" which was a stretch Citroen CX berline build using the CX Wagon chassis.

citroen-cx-prestige-wallpaper-3.jpg

Citroen CX "Prestige"

citroen-cx-wallpaper-2.jpg

Citroen CX berline

citroen-cx-break-wallpaper-1.jpg

CX Wagon

citroen-cx-prestige-03.jpg

Offering a good extra foot of leg room...

citroen-cx-interior-wallpaper-4.jpg

This was a semi-manual, a car with a stick shift but no clutch pedal!

62ee7c65f9b6610128bd704fdd815d09.jpg

What about the CX landaulet version (Limo with convertible roof), ever cooler!

Reactions: rocketdallas
Bonjour from France everyone!

First, thank you everyone for all the infos and the pictures on the forum!

I'm about to finalise my configuration (the design studio is now open in France as well). I will use the model x more like a minivan, i have a lot of sport gear to transport. So I am planning to go with the 6 seats config, and then take off the two seats of the second row. I hope it will not be too complicated to do the work, i haven't seen exactly how they are attached. Hard to see on pictures.

Any one has tried it before?

what do you think?
Jump the sensors

Been following this threadand and while I am amazed that someone went to this effort to remove the second row seats I still have to wonder why. I mean how is this better than a minivan in any way? Minivans have flat load floors and easily convertible interiors that allowed for up to 8 passengers. In addition a minivan has a box style body that allows for much larger interior cargo volumes than the Tesla Model X. The sloping body style of the Model X is not conducive to cargo carrying capacity. Comparing a model X to a minivan it's really not an apples-to-apples comparison. A minivan cannot get 100 eMPG or drive itself down the road either.

Been following this threadand and while I am amazed that someone went to this effort to remove the second row seats I still have to wonder why. I mean how is this better than a minivan in any way? Minivans have flat load floors and easily convertible interiors that allowed for up to 8 passengers. In addition a minivan has a box style body that allows for much larger interior cargo volumes than the Tesla Model X. The sloping body style of the Model X is not conducive to cargo carrying capacity. Comparing a model X to a minivan it's really not an apples-to-apples comparison. A minivan cannot get 100 eMPG or drive itself down the road either.
I think you answered your own question. :)

The trade-off may be worth it. That new second row legroom would be incredible for longer road trips.

Yes exactly, a minivan in terms of confort is a totally different story. And has a very inefficient drag coef.
With this config, the X gives me the best of both worlds... It remain very efficient and comfortable for every day life, and offer all the space for cargo as I'm carrying lots of sport gear (kite-surfing in my case, and I put my wetsuit on in the rear cabin in winter).

And as far as I know, for now, there are no electric minivan option on the market... but even if there were, I would still prefer pushing a Tesla X SUV!

Furthermore the rear seats with plenty of room for the legs are very appreciated by all the passengers I caried so far...

Yes exactly, a minivan in terms of confort is a totally different story. And has a very inefficient drag coef.
With this config, the X gives me the best of both worlds... It remain very efficient and comfortable for every day life, and offer all the space for cargo as I'm carrying lots of sport gear (kite-surfing in my case, and I put my wetsuit on in the rear cabin in winter).

And as far as I know, for now, there are no electric minivan option on the market... but even if there were, I would still prefer pushing a Tesla X SUV!

Furthermore the rear seats with plenty of room for the legs are very appreciated by all the passengers I caried so far...

The first real electrified minivan is just coming to market - the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, which has a 33 mile EPA electric range and then runs as a hybrid - the only true electric van I know about is the Nissan NV one, which is only available in some markets.

The Pacifica actually seems pretty impressive - no decrease in usable space, and just over 80 mpge, so only about twenty percent more electricity consumption than a model X despite the minivan size and profile. (But it means going back to gas for long trips, and seems to be missing most of the driver assistance features. :( )

View attachment 204341 The four seater Model X is better than a minivan! A dream car...

Looks nice, with Falcon WIng doors you must have easy access to whatever you carry. How hard was it to remove the row? Do you think this is better than announced 5 seat version?

...Now if only the rear seats fold, like they do now, than flip into cavity in front - you'd have a perfectly flat cargo space.

So I asked my local Tesla shop today...They have no clue how to deal with the airbags sensors in the second row seats that will probably appear as faulty on the central screen.
Appart from that it should not be a problem to take the seats off as planned. And the seat belt sensors will not create problem according to them.
So please tells us how you managed to successfully remove the seats? And is the car displaying a airbag fault error messages?

I am amazed that you managed to remove the second row...unless you used a grinder in which case it wouldn't be so hard. :D

You also have to deal with the second row seat ventilation ducts.
Are you referring to the ducts in the rear of the front row center console? I don't see how those would present a problem when removing the second row. Or are you referring to some other ducts?

If you opt for the Pacifica Hybrid, you no longer get the stow-n-go seats that fold into the floor. The seats can still be removed but the convenance factor suffers a bit.

True. The reviews say that the removable seats are actually much more comfortable than the stow and go seats, though. I was just impressed with the efficiency they managed (32 mpg combined on gas, too - almost 50% above any other minivan I know of) and that the space wasn't impacted. I'm really disappointed that they didn't include adaptive cruise and rudimentary lane keeping as options, though.

Reactions: Cowby
Doing a 4 seat conversion would make for a great executive car, add some amenities and you're set.
The X third row seats are not particularly comfortable, in my opinion. I've only sat in them for a few minutes and while I could certainly tolerate them for awhile I would not describe them as luxurious or of "executive" quality. I'm not referring to the limited headroom, only to the comfort of the seat.

Reactions: MikeInFL