Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gonna bail - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reasons I was originally interested was:
1) I'm a techie and love the tech features of the car with the large touch screen,etc
2) Loved the performance/acceleration
3) it definitely has a cool factor.

I don't care about it being electric per se when it comes to mitigating the cost of fuel - even less so now that gas prices have dropped. I really have no interest in any other electric/hybrid car.

Currently looking at the Audi SQ5, MB GLC300, Porsche Macan and somewhat oddly the Acura RDX which is a great value if you stack up the features against the others. I've had a number of BMW's and I'm tired of them. The interior hardly changes year after year, even across models. I feel like I keep getting the same car over and over with them though I love the way they drive.

I'll probably check out the Tesla's in a few years

I clicked the order button last week, and plan to take delivery sometime in early 2016. As I learned more about the state of the planet, in good conscience, could no longer drive a ICE SUV. My prior choice was a Audi Q7 TDI, buying into clean-diesel technology's reduction of CO2 and NOx. However, after VW's falsely using software to cheat emission standards, rewarding VW (parent of Audi) by buying a $85,000 2016 Q7 is not something I will do. There should be a economic penalty for VW's behavior -- beyond firing the CEO.

Two years ago, after investigating, reading, learning of all affects of CO2 on the environment and oceans, I made the commitment to do everything, however small, to make a difference for my children and grand-children. That's when I reserved a Model X. Sure the Tesla X is later than promised, and cost more than I have ever paid for a vehicle, but it is the only alternative in my opinion.

If my grand-children ask, why didn't my generation do something more, I can at least say I was part of Elon's vision for a better planet and Tesla's attempt to bring the end to ICE vehicles ending what Elon says is "the dumbest experiment ever". Finally, 200 countries have agreed to reduce the rise in global warming 2 degrees or less in Paris.

I am realistic, one EV won't make a large difference, but just as Model S has signaled to BMW, Mercedes and Audi to abandon ICE technologies in favor if EV's, then it is a strike greater than one Model X. I implore all those here to stay the course. Elon has risked everything to make the planet safer. If not a Model X, then an EV, hybrid or extremely fuel efficient vehicle. The Earth needs all of us.

Not bailing ..but would be interested however in hearing what you ultimately decide to go with (assuming you are still in the market for a vehicle if you bail on the X) and how you look back on your decision say 1 year from now. Who knows, a lot can happen in a year. Could be helpful for folks on the fence and/or of the same mindset.

The reasons I was originally interested was:
1) I'm a techie and love the tech features of the car with the large touch screen,etc
2) Loved the performance/acceleration
3) it definitely has a cool factor.

I don't care about it being electric per se when it comes to mitigating the cost of fuel - even less so now that gas prices have dropped. I really have no interest in any other electric/hybrid car.

Currently looking at the Audi SQ5, MB GLC300, Porsche Macan and somewhat oddly the Acura RDX which is a great value if you stack up the features against the others. I've had a number of BMW's and I'm tired of them. The interior hardly changes year after year, even across models. I feel like I keep getting the same car over and over with them though I love the way they drive.

I'll probably check out the Tesla's in a few years

Yep, that explains it

I clicked the order button last week, and plan to take delivery sometime in early 2016. As I learned more about the state of the planet, in good conscience, could no longer drive a ICE SUV. My prior choice was a Audi Q7 TDI, buying into clean-diesel technology's reduction of CO2 and NOx. However, after VW's falsely using software to cheat emission standards, rewarding VW (parent of Audi) by buying a $85,000 2016 Q7 is not something I will do. There should be a economic penalty for VW's behavior -- beyond firing the CEO.

Two years ago, after investigating, reading, learning of all affects of CO2 on the environment and oceans, I made the commitment to do everything, however small, to make a difference for my children and grand-children. That's when I reserved a Model X. Sure the Tesla X is later than promised, and cost more than I have ever paid for a vehicle, but it is the only alternative in my opinion.

If my grand-children ask, why didn't my generation do something more, I can at least say I was part of Elon's vision for a better planet and Tesla's attempt to bring the end to ICE vehicles ending what Elon says is "the dumbest experiment ever". Finally, 200 countries have agreed to reduce the rise in global warming 2 degrees or less in Paris.

I am realistic, one EV won't make a large difference, but just as Model S has signaled to BMW, Mercedes and Audi to abandon ICE technologies in favor if EV's, then it is a strike greater than one Model X. I implore all those here to stay the course. Elon has risked everything to make the planet safer. If not a Model X, then an EV, hybrid or extremely fuel efficient vehicle. The Earth needs all of us.

No canceling here and I completely agree with the above. Might as well put my money where my beliefs are. Honestly it feels a little sick to see ICE vehicles everywhere knowing what they are doing to the planet.

Not cancelling right now. We want a 90D and don't see any reason to confirm right now and being locked in while I have to wait for 6 months. This will give us a chance to see the car in person and I imagine will only delay my delivery by a couple weeks at the end. I checked with Tesla and there doesn't seem to be any pressure to finalize soon so I will just wait.

I thought long and hard before purchasing my S85 as the previous most expensive car I purchased was $30K--and I thought that was high. I've now had it for almost three years, I don't regret one penny of it.

All in all, Tesla offers a more complete package and everyone I know who has a S says its best car they ever had. It's time to get on board. The price hurts for sure, but to me in the long run it will be worth it!
I ordered my Model S back in September 2012, received it in April 2013. The previous most expensive car I had bought was $26,000. I went back and forth during sleepless nights at spending $82,000 on a car. Since the day I received the car all the way to today and beyond, I am soooooo happy I went ahead with the purchase. I could never, ever drive an ICE again. The moment the Model 3 is available for deposit, I am putting down two deposits. One for my wife, one for my son.

I think I'm going to bail on the X. Very likely I wouldn't be able to get one until mid to late next year (who knows with Tesla at this point) and I've been on the fence about spending $100k+ on a car even though I can afford it relatively easily. I grew up pretty poor and it just seems excessive. Opulence, I has it. Sure, it's a super cool car but in the end it's a mode of conveyance from point A to B. I have a motorcycle to thrill me with acceleration and for the money I won't be spending could add a few more :)

Maybe in a few years. The S sits a little too low for my tastes (plus the $100K thing) so I prolly go another route and observe with interest. Anyone else opting out?
You don't need to spend $100,000 for a Model S. You can buy a great 70D in the $70's, and don't forget that means not ever buying gasoline for a car.

Not cancelling right now. We want a 90D and don't see any reason to confirm right now and being locked in while I have to wait for 6 months. This will give us a chance to see the car in person and I imagine will only delay my delivery by a couple weeks at the end. I checked with Tesla and there doesn't seem to be any pressure to finalize soon so I will just wait.

What gjunky said. Precisely.

I cancelled my mid 15K Model X reservation and ordered a Model S in early September, took delivery on Halloween.

I am very happy with my decision, I love driving my MS, and with the back seats folded it is huge inside (and out!).
Maybe with the air suspension the height issue could be addressed, or consider customization?

I looked at the CPO inventory, but couldn't find the blend of options I wanted and the price differential wasn't much.

The fact is this: Tesla Motors is a mere infant compared to the likes of GM, Ford etc. Having said that, (in my view) they are the most revolutionary addition to the automobile industry since Henry Ford introduced the concept of the assembly line on December 1st, 1913. 102 Years ago. Think about that for a second.

If you are discussing on this forum and in this thread then you likely have the means to purchase on of these vehicles which would allude to the fact that you likely have the intellect to understand the enormous up-hill battle that the company faces each and every day. Cancelling your MX order is perfectly fair - the wait has been long and the journey has been anything but smooth. I get that. But the reward is so much greater that we can possibly know.

At the end of the day, keep your oder, cancel your oder, change to a MS, it doesn't matter - Tesla makes the best vehicles in the world. Period.

For me, the argument is simple: If you have the means to consider buying a Tesla, then buy one. X or S, it doesn't matter. It is proven to be the safest car in the world. If there is a 0.001% chance that me driving a Tesla over my previous car could save my life or lessen my injuries - or those of my family and loves ones - in the event of an accident, then it is worth the money, the wait and everything else that comes with being a follower of the company and product.

I cancelled my mid 15K Model X reservation and ordered a Model S in early September, took delivery on Halloween.

I am very happy with my decision, I love driving my MS, and with the back seats folded it is huge inside (and out!).

Ditto except I bailed in November. Tesla transferred over my reservation money and I now have a new Model S 90D.

I will likely get the next generation of Model X with the newer autonomous driving equipment in a 6-8 years unless Apple offers something competitive.

I've been on the fence about spending $100k+ on a car even though I can afford it relatively easily. I grew up pretty poor and it just seems excessive. Opulence, I has it. Sure, it's a super cool car but in the end it's a mode of conveyance from point A to B.

I hear you loud and clear and have been there and done that. I'm not a car person and $100k plus $15k tax when I bought my car gave me a ton of second thoughts, even though I don't even notice the missing cash (but have constant fear of being poor having grown up poor). But what kept me on course was a moral obligation I felt to future generations by doing my very small part to help ensure Tesla succeeds. We need to get off fossil fuels and if you have the resources I feel we have a moral obligation to do our part, and I justified my purchase in this manner. It was also important for my legacy and for my kids to be able to tell their kids that we had two electric vehicles (Tesla and Leaf) when barely anyone had one.

Then after I got it, any and all doubts I had vanished immediately. In fact, I'm looking to upgrade and that's totally unlike me. But what the hell, we can't take it with us so I tell my kids I'm spending part of their inheritance on driving the future, today. All for their future, of course... :wink:

I bailed as well when I found a nice Sig Red S to hold me over for another year or two. I was so far down the list though as I had only ordered at the beginning of October. I didn't even have a res number. So anyways. No big deal. I'm sure I'll get one at some point.

A few hundred Model X cancellations won't make a dent in Tesla results for 2016. Model X sales will be production constrained for at least the next 2 years.
Tesla will succeed. No need for pro Tesla religious fundamentalism to get there.

BEV success (taking over most cars) depend far more on other car companies taking BEV seriously (and figuring out how to make dealerships effectively sell BEVs over ICE). Even if Tesla eventually sells millions of cars / year, that's a drop in the bucket for worldwide car sales.

And it's just five months away (May 2016) for buyers in NA.

Closest dealership to me said that they wouldn't receive the PHEV Outlander until Q4 2016, at the earliest. I have seen the May 2016 published various places online...but not confirmed anywhere.

Perhaps only select markets will get the Outlander PHEV this coming summer...or Mitsu has delayed again.

No way are we cancelling! our order confirms today! This is our dream car. Not because its an EV, but because it is the most "luxurious" by our measure. We wanted to get our dream car while we could still enjoy it. Dad got his BMW too late in life and never got a chance to realize what he was really driving.
Yes, the Tesla costs more than a years salary for me. Yes, it is crazy extravagant. We have saved and plan on enjoying the hell out of this car.
For those who cancel because "its too much"... I applaud them for maintaining a strong sense of what is valuable to them.
For those who cancel because "the seats don't fold flat" or "it doesn't tow enough"... not so much applause.

I'm still on board... if it was totally up to me I would have hit ORDER and then CONFIRM 2 seconds later... but the Mrs. has to be fully onboard to pull the trigger. Hoping its this week. To me personally, there isn't really another option. We always talked about getting a luxury SUV now that we have 2 kids (1 year old twins) and when you price out the Q7's or Escalades or X5's your already at 70-80k... and you live at the gas station. I'm at the point where I don't want to drive a gas car ever again - this 3 year wait has made it painfully more evident. I plan on having this X for a very long time with hopes of only having to do a battery upgrade in the future to increase range, so to me, the price is justified. Paying a lot up front for years and years of enjoyment for the whole family.

Audi says it has an electric SUV that will rival the model X... and it has 4 seats! Where are you going to go on road trips? rely on destination charging? have fun with that. And it's more than 2 years away. Same goes for Porsche, their 4-seater mission E will compete with the S, not the X.

All in all, Tesla offers a more complete package and everyone I know who has a S says its best car they ever had. It's time to get on board. The price hurts for sure, but to me in the long run it will be worth it!
Right there with you. If there were no X, we'd probably just keep our Highlander Hybrid for another 5 years (or more). It was the first new car we bought. The X will be our second. Can't wait! Good luck getting "final approval." :) What helped for us was going to one of the local Tesla stores and looking at the colors and options on a bunch of inventory and CPO Model S cars that they had on hand. Without actual Xes around to get in and drive around, seeing the Ses in person was the next best thing.

Last edited: