Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Bye Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one say goodbye on a forum without posting a message?

Goodbyes usually involve communication.

I think people were hoping for a more detailed explanation of his decision - something more than "my X sucks, canceled my 3 order, see ya." I know a lot of people want to know what his specific issues were. Vehicle problems? Service center problems? Both? Without that, it feels kind of like a potshot. But I do agree with you that there is no need to be rude about this guy's departure.

I think people were hoping for a more detailed explanation of his decision - something more than "my X sucks, canceled my 3 order, see ya." I know a lot of people want to know what his specific issues were. Vehicle problems? Service center problems? Both? Without that, it feels kind of like a potshot. But I do agree with you that there is no need to be rude about this guy's departure.
I figure Tesla made the OP sign an NDA, so (s)he can't really spill the beans. ;) The curious can look up OP's post history. OP started out quite enthusiastically back in Mar 2016. Now, after 2 X's ( one exchanged, I suppose), (s)he is giving up. Do you really want to hear the gory details?
Some things are better unsaid.;)

Makes me wonder, did Elon create his own wooden stake with the X?

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
I figure Tesla made the OP sign an NDA, so (s)he can't really spill the beans. ;) The curious can look up OP's post history. OP started out quite enthusiastically back in Mar 2016. Now, after 2 X's ( one exchanged, I suppose), (s)he is giving up. Do you really want to hear the gory details?
Some things are better unsaid.;)

Make me wonder, did Elon create his own wooden stake with the X?

Who in God's name starts a thread about breaking up, just so everyone else feels bad and wants them to get back with their X?

Wait a second... I know who the OP is!

rehost-2016-9-13-32c807dc-fa1f-40a7-953f-ad0d5fffa6e9.jpg

Let's be honest guys.

This is not the first thread about Model X woes.

Nor will it be the last.

This one is on Tesla. Model X has been a mess quality-wise.

I find the pushback odd really. AP2 and Model X quality are generally two of the few things where consensus exists that Tesla dropped the ball.

I see a lot of Model S owners in this thread. You may not know what you're talking about on this one. Model X is no Model S.

I hate to hear about people experiencing trouble with a car they buy no matter who the manufacturer is. Cars are expensive and, for most of us, it takes a lot of hard work to be able to afford something like a Tesla. While we certainly have experienced some problems with our new Model X, we went into the purchase knowing there could likely be issues. Model X is definitely not a Model S (at least not yet) in terms of refinement and the way it drives. BUT, Model X brings a lot to the table that no other car I've driven can offer. It it perfect? Of course not. Is it worth the trade-off for all of the other things it does so well? To me, absolutely!

Let's be honest guys.

This is not the first thread about Model X woes.

Nor will it be the last.

This one is on Tesla. Model X has been a mess quality-wise.

I find the pushback odd really. AP2 and Model X quality are generally two of the few things where consensus exists that Tesla dropped the ball.

I see a lot of Model S owners in this thread. You may not know what you're talking about on this one. Model X is no Model S.
I don’t know... the X75D I drove last month was tight as a toiger... none of the build quality issues I have seen on previous Xs, especially with Falcon Wing doors and seats

Reactions: JimVandegriff
I don’t know... the X75D I drove last month was tight as a toiger... none of the build quality issues I have seen on previous Xs, especially with Falcon Wing doors and seats

Sure, there are better and worse units, but anyone who has paid attention to TMC's Model X forum over time know the "special" quality issues have been numerous and definitely not gone yet.

This thread is not surprising, nor does it smell trolling to me. Some just lose patience with the car.

Here are some of mine:

- I'm facing my first door issue, the driver's door has started acting up (doesn't always open, the motor just kind of fidgets). Will have to keep an eye on it.

- The adaptive spoiler has broken once.

- I had the rusted second row and third row seats. There's a first in a brand new car.

- The charge port no longer closes automatically fully, but that's not a part unique to Model X.

- My windshield has the ghosting feature, but, well that's a feature. :)

None of these are rare issues. All have been reported on TMC several times, and many, many more of course.

By contrast I had zero issues with my 2014 Model S over 2.5 years of ownership. And my Model X is by no means an early car, it was built in Q1/2017.

Last edited:
^ And just to be clear, guys, I am not unhappy with my Model X. But clearly even with my fairly lucky unit in many ways, the quality issues plaguing Model X are evident.

It has had in mere 9 months by far the most new car issues I've ever had in any car I've ever owned during their lifetime in my possession.

Now consider someone who gets a less lucky unit with many more things going wrong with it...

As both an X and S owner I can understand the frustration. My first S was a 2014 and had repeated problems some minor some major. In total in two years of ownership it required 32 service visits. I took a gamble and my 2916 S that I traded it in for has thankfully been relatively problem free.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
What adds to this are the long times it takes to get parts. It hasn't been unheard of for there to be many months of waiting. Not so bad if the car is driveable, but if the issue requires keeping the car at the service center, then it is quickly very unfortunate...

I had the opportunity to spend a 1,000-mile weekend with a brand new September 2017 X 75D and I found the build quality to be pretty good. There were several minor interior trim issues, a few of the typical panel gap issues and the driveline shudder under acceleration. The falcon wing doors were also in need of a few adjustments. AP2 was also a little spazzy, as mentioned by nearly everyone here. I didn't feel that any of these issues clouded my overall experience with the vehicle, which was superb. I expect that a visit (or perhaps two) to the service center would have addressed most of these minor problems except AP2, which is a matter of time.

My hope is that Tesla remedies many of these Model X problems on the production line so that they can improve overall build quality and relieve pressure on the service centers and their loaner fleet.

we just drove a new MX100D for an extended weekend test drive and it's sooooo much better put together, quieter, etc...

it's serial number was 66,XXX compared to my 6,XXX MXP90D.

the newer cars are definitely a better built beast.

we just drove a new MX100D for an extended weekend test drive and it's sooooo much better put together, quieter, etc...

it's serial number was 66,XXX compared to my 6,XXX MXP90D.

the newer cars are definitely a better built beast.
I had a brand new MX100D for the better part of last week and I only noticed a few minor flaws. Considering that the car had 6 miles on it when I picked it up and had not been prepped completely, I was impressed compared to what I expected.