Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good year tires pop Tesla y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no possible way your tireS popped without debris. This would not be covered under manufacturer warranty from any car manufacturer. This would be akin to taking a sledge hammer to your panels and then expecting the manufacturer to warranty repair the paint damage.

If, and only if, you have a road hazard warranty (not something one gets on a new car, but possible with replacements), then the repair may be covered.

But.. "popping". I have to ask: When was the last time you put air in your tires? Did you hit a bump on the freeway when they "popped"?

And, what do you mean by, "popped"? Are there punctures in the tires with screws/nails/bits of metal in them? Or did the tires come off the rims?

Not sure which MY you have, but our MY 7 seat LR with hitch was popping tires like crazy when we first got the truck. It was the Continentals. I feel they are under spec'd tire. Even the service center runs out every winter and spring. So I upgraded to Nokian WRG4s and haven't popped a tire since. Our first three popped tires where from pot holes and simple curbing when parking. Not sure about Goodyears, but the continentals it came with where by far the worst tire I've ever owned. I was so happy taking them off...

I used to have the Good Year Electric Drive GT tires in my ‘21 MY. Worst mistake I’ve ever made. Those tires were awful. I drive conservatively and they only lasted about 18k miles. They claimed to better suited for EV cars and were supposed to make the road noise quieter. This was simply not true. There was no distinguishing difference in road noise over the stock Continentals. The Good Year tires had massive chucks ripped out of the tread, and the inside of the tires wore prematurely due to the rounded edges. I swapped back to a new set of the stock Continental’s and got an alignment. The technician said that my alignment was not the issue and that the minor adjustments he made were normal after the mileage my car had but not significant enough to cause this kind of premature wear on the Good years. He also said that this wasn’t the first Tesla he saw with those tires and the same issue.

Stay away from good year for your EV. The stock continentals have lasted me the longest.

I used to have the Good Year Electric Drive GT tires in my ‘21 MY. Worst mistake I’ve ever made. Those tires were awful. I drive conservatively and they only lasted about 18k miles. They claimed to better suited for EV cars and were supposed to make the road noise quieter. This was simply not true. There was no distinguishing difference in road noise over the stock Continentals. The Good Year tires had massive chucks ripped out of the tread, and the inside of the tires wore prematurely due to the rounded edges. I swapped back to a new set of the stock Continental’s and got an alignment. The technician said that my alignment was not the issue and that the minor adjustments he made were normal after the mileage my car had but not significant enough to cause this kind of premature wear on the Good years. He also said that this wasn’t the first Tesla he saw with those tires and the same issue.

Stay away from good year for your EV. The stock continentals have lasted me the longest.
Inside tire wear is from the prior alignment. A tire, by nature, isn't going to wear more on the inside just because of the way it was designed. That's 100% on the vehicle. Your alignment cupped the Goodyears, and caused them to be noisy. When you got it fixed, you put a different set of tires on too, so the noise went away. It doesn't take much toe to screw up a set of tires. My Model Y is currently riding on a set of the OEM Michelins that are extremely noisy because the inside bar is cupped from a previous poor alignment the car was delivered with.

My car is about 3 months old at 3300 mileage. I just drive to and from work and today my good year tires popped on the freeway. Is there warranties on these?
Tires? How many?

A tire might fail, more than one tire at the same time, never. You ran over something. Assuming you hit a pothole and you were on a state maintained road, file a claim with CalTrans.

Last edited:
Man, these bots are just getting lazy now. I think my suspicions that I had at the time of my original post #2 above have been confirmed. New user, outlandish claim without any supporting details that's nearly mathematically impossible to achieve without once in a lifetime type coincidence is being involved and no follow-up with any additional details. Only a bot would think it's possible for Tesla to be responsible for putting tires on a car that all "pop" at once. Bad Tesla! ROFL

Reactions: fiehlsport
Inside tire wear is from the prior alignment. A tire, by nature, isn't going to wear more on the inside just because of the way it was designed. That's 100% on the vehicle. Your alignment cupped the Goodyears, and caused them to be noisy. When you got it fixed, you put a different set of tires on too, so the noise went away. It doesn't take much toe to screw up a set of tires. My Model Y is currently riding on a set of the OEM Michelins that are extremely noisy because the inside bar is cupped from a previous poor alignment the car was delivered with.
Actually you are wrong. Goodyear took full responsibility and offered a replacement set or credit. Multiple alignment shops have confirmed that the design of the tire was to blame. My alignment was correct upon inspection. Goodyear has apparently updated the design.

Reactions: CyberShy