Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye all; Good riddance Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good riddance. You had 2 issues and are done‽ Hahahaha good luck with BMW those piles of German trash are a real PITA to work on and they break constantly.

BYE_FELICIA.jpg

Good riddance. You had 2 issues and are done‽ Hahahaha good luck with BMW those piles of German trash are a real PITA to work on and they break constantly.

View attachment 936890

Not sure about the number of issues, but the OP waited 6 months for a Model S strut. That's a long time to wait for a part. Most folks can't do without their vehicle for 6 months.

What does one do when their vehicle can't be driven for 6 months? Do you rent a car for that long? Borrow one? Buy a new one and sell it once you get yours back? Also, it's not like you know upfront that it's going to take 6 months.

As much as I appreciate my Model 3, if I couldn't drive it for 6 months because Tesla isn't producing enough spare parts, I'd have no choice but to get a different vehicle. Sadly, it would likely not be another Tesla, lest the same thing happens again.

Reactions: ks1972
"When I was in the finance office at the BMW dealer ....."

I would rather watch paint dry than hear "So how much do you want your monthly to be?" or "What would it take for you to drive this off the lot" or "Let me talk to my manager" or "We added ceramic coat to the seats, sorry we cannot remove that option"

I just want the lease incentives from the manufacturer. Walk in and walk out.

I just tell them paying for options is against my (solo prop.) company policy. It worked until recently. Now with inventory and people just paying top $ they sell it to next chump

I purchased my Rivian R1T last October; it replaced one of our Telsas. Still loving it more than the Tesla it replaced (and the MSP we still own). There's a datapoint for ya.

Rivian cold called me. Said I could get in R1S/T this week. I told them match the price of my MYAWD and I'll buy. We both had a good laugh

Their deposit process did help me meet my spending requirements for a card though.

Reactions: jebinc
I moved from a Model S to a Mercedes Benz EQS a year ago. The biggest reason was the Tesla Service Center. Never being able to talk to a person, just having to wait for texts. Last month, my EQS started faulting with the car going into a Limp mode that cut off the air conditioning. After six weeks in the shop I asked for a buyback that is still being processed. The point of this post is to mention that the grass is not always greener....I'm driving a new 2023 Plaid now (my third S) and I'm not complaining about the service center any longer.
My apology in advance if this goes off the intended topic, but I owned Mercedes cars for 48 years before I bought my Tesla Model S in 2015. All my MBs were used -- in those days I could not afford a new one. The Model S was the first new car I ever had. Anyway, when I started with Mercedes, in the 1960s and 70s, my memory is that they were consistently the cars with the best repair records in the Consumer Reports annual surveys of its readers, and superior test reports for their ride, handling, and performance. Now 50 years later, they are ranked 26th out of 32 in the 2023 CR rankings for overall quality, considering reliability, owner satisfaction, road tests, and other factors. Even Tesla is ranked higher! Part of that is, I assume, that the Japanese and Korean manufacturers are all in the higher rankings and simply were not a factor 50 years ago. Plus the American manufacturers were usually quite low in reliability and quality then but some have improved considerably. But still, MB has fallen a long way, especially with lower than average reliability. Their overall owner satisfaction remains "average," so perhaps MBs are in the category like Land Rover and Jeep -- greatly loved by their fans but statistically weak in reliability. Maybe they get held to a higher standard by their owners?
And by the way, to the OP's point -- BMW is now first in the CR rankings of overall quality (with better owner satisfaction and reliability ranking than MB).
Individual experiences will vary, obviously, but as much as I enjoyed my years owning Benzes, I am leery of going back. I am looking to replace my Model S, am not keen on any of the Tesla products at the moment, and have been looking at alternatives -- but I agree with the comment above that walking into a dealership is a bit terrifying after all these years!

"When I was in the finance office at the BMW dealer ....."

I would rather watch paint dry than hear "So how much do you want your monthly to be?" or "What would it take for you to drive this off the lot" or "Let me talk to my manager" or "We added ceramic coat to the seats, sorry we cannot remove that option"

I just want the lease incentives from the manufacturer. Walk in and walk out.
Same thing here. Before moving forward with my Tesla, I spoke to a BMW REP and the games was plainly insulting. I litterly told him, work with me and I’ll lease something now and he tap danced around everything and I left. Come home, online showed pricing lower than his. For the exact model; I pulled the VIN .

Reactions: Sixth
Worst service, not worst car?? The problem with Tesla is if something does goes wrong (especially out of warranty) and you have a bad experience with Service Center (some Service Centers and mobile are great), it can go south very quickly.

Tesla service suffers schedule backups from high volume (cars sit for 3 days before they look at them), parts that are unavailable (or take weeks to get), high staff turnover (leading to poor root cause analysis), a proclivity to replace parts wholesale until something works (on the customer's dime), poor quality assurance before returning cars (problems left unresolved or more damage caused), and lack of communication / escalation path throughout. I think it's only that bad in a fraction of cases, but enough to be extremely negative experience when it does. That being said, I've experienced about 90% great service, and so far it's working for me given mobile solves most things.
One anecdote means little, but for wat it is worth, I have been looking at other cars including the Audi eTron, so I joined some eTron groups to see what was being said. Heard some of the same complaints about eTron service -- long service times, delays for parts, cars returned "fixed" but not actually fixed, lack of communication, etc. But there is not easy way to tell how representative a particular person's experience is.

Reactions: oldsport
Sorry for your experience, Barry. Unfortunately, I believe your experience can happen with any car manufacturer. In any event, BMWs are great cars. I just purchased a i4 M50 for my wife. I love everything about it other than the fact that I only get 200 miles on a full charge.

I’m on my second Tesla now and have had excellent service experiences. I’m not an Elon Musk fan boy, but love my 2021 S Plaid other than the recent price drops. Enjoy your BMW!

Most people would source parts from somewhere else - even eBay if necessary - and do what needs to be done instead of waiting helplessly like a damsel in distress.
That reminds me of an interview with Elon way back when, in 2014 I think, when there was something holding up ocean cargo deliveries to tesla (longshoremen strike, possibly) and the Model S production was being held up by lack of data cables. Elon described how he dispatched people from the office staff to local BestBuy and other electronic stores to buy cables so that the production line could keep moving. Those were the days...

My apology in advance if this goes off the intended topic, but I owned Mercedes cars for 48 years before I bought my Tesla Model S in 2015. All my MBs were used -- in those days I could not afford a new one. The Model S was the first new car I ever had. Anyway, when I started with Mercedes, in the 1960s and 70s, my memory is that they were consistently the cars with the best repair records in the Consumer Reports annual surveys of its readers, and superior test reports for their ride, handling, and performance. Now 50 years later, they are ranked 26th out of 32 in the 2023 CR rankings for overall quality, considering reliability, owner satisfaction, road tests, and other factors. Even Tesla is ranked higher! Part of that is, I assume, that the Japanese and Korean manufacturers are all in the higher rankings and simply were not a factor 50 years ago. Plus the American manufacturers were usually quite low in reliability and quality then but some have improved considerably. But still, MB has fallen a long way, especially with lower than average reliability. Their overall owner satisfaction remains "average," so perhaps MBs are in the category like Land Rover and Jeep -- greatly loved by their fans but statistically weak in reliability. Maybe they get held to a higher standard by their owners?
And by the way, to the OP's point -- BMW is now first in the CR rankings of overall quality (with better owner satisfaction and reliability ranking than MB).
Individual experiences will vary, obviously, but as much as I enjoyed my years owning Benzes, I am leery of going back. I am looking to replace my Model S, am not keen on any of the Tesla products at the moment, and have been looking at alternatives -- but I agree with the comment above that walking into a dealership is a bit terrifying after all these years!
For what it’s worth; A family member owns and operates a German Auto Repair shop in Southern California; He first work many years at a well known Mercedes Benz dealership, was a top tech; After over ten years at his shop; He said that if it weren’t for BMW’s he would probably be out of business. 🤷🏻‍♂️lol

I was a big consumder of MB's but it was their diesels. My first new one was in 1983 300SD. I think I spent about almost $40k back then for it. So probably close to about $120k in current dollars. I drove, and drove, and drove, that thing. No major issues until the funky vacuum lines for controlling things had an issue at about 90k. It wasn't a major issue, just took a while to troubleshoot. At 150k miles the frames holding the window motor broke on the drivers door and if it had been the motor itself, cheap to fix. The sunroof was still working fine so I used that at tollroads and drive-throughs.

At 200k the AC blower motor worked but while the car was still in motion, the air flowed through. At 250k the stock turbo died. That I actually had rebuilt and was about $900 for it. At 400k the replacement turbo was getting tired but the rear diff died. So I found a junked wagon version with a lower axle ration (numerically higher) and swapped it out. It more than made up for the sagging turbo and made me wish I had done it when the car was fresher. Took a bit of hit on mileage but it didn't matter that much. At 450k the motor was still going good but the turbo wasn't on its last legs. It was basically as non-turbo-diesel at this point but still no major issues. Bought a new house and ended up parking the car at a McD's. At 473k miles, someone actually stole the car. Exterior was in mint condition and the MB-Tex vinyl had held up great. Insurance paid out about 8k for a 20+ year old car.

I had made a bet with my dad that I could get 250k miles out of it without spending over a grand other than routine maintenance hence the reason I didn't fix anything. It was a bet in jest as he thought I was crazy spending that much money on a car. I didn't want to buy some crap box Corolla or equivalent and figured if I could get at least 250k miles, it was more than worth it to me. Sadly the car outlasted my dad but I just keep going on in the spirit of the bet. My goal was to make 500k without any major repairs. Turbos are basically a wear item and I got good service out of them considering I used that car like a pickup truck and towed my jetskis, motorcycles, etc. all over the US. Since that basic 300 diesel motor had been around forever, parts were cheap and donor vehicles plentiful.

For me that MB was one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, if not the most reliable. Never stranded me anywhere. If my Plaid is even half as good, I'll be ecstatic. As for BMWs, I'll never own another of their cars. I am still ok buying their bikes and my K1600GT has been rock solid over the last 10 years. That bike will never leave the family. The last new BMW cost me about 70% the purchase price of my K1600 when new in out of warranty repairs.

For what it’s worth; A family member owns and operates a German Auto Repair shop in Southern California; He first work many years at a well known Mercedes Benz dealership, was a top tech; After over ten years at his shop; He said that if it weren’t for BMW’s he would probably be out of business. 🤷🏻‍♂️lol
We have a friend who does Luxury Auto Repair who said the exact same thing. We have BMWs for over 10 years and he said BMW owners are his best customers. Their parts are made to break shortly after warranty ends. He could pretty accurately predict which parts will break in order and approximately how much longer. I asked him which brand is his "worst" customer. He said "Lexus". They just don't break, and it does, it is cheap to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.