TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Google Map- Phone app vs in-car Nav

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by efusco, May 31, 2013.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I noticed a few days ago (prior to upgrade to 4.5) that the in-car google sat view shows very new imagery (a new house just built last fall next to mine is on the map), but the iPhone app still shows the older imagery (sans the new house).

This surprises me a bit, would have assumed both would access the same, most recent, imagery.

Anyone with good insight as to why they'd be different? Is there some sort of refresh for the app to get it to reload with the newer imagery (ie, is it storing previous imagery in the phone)?

Evan, Via Tapatalk

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Since you reference iOS (iPhone) are you sure you're not looking at Apple's maps that replaced Google maps as the default a while back?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Good question, the image on the iOS maps app is the same as the Tesla app, so you may be right that that is the source.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

There is a stand-alone Google Maps app you can get, but the built-in mapping is now by Apple.