Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Google Maps Now Shows if Charge Stations Are in Use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google added EV charging stations to Google Maps last October. While that’s a big help, travelers could still find themselves waiting in line for minutes or hours to use the charger.

As of Monday, you can now see the real time availability of charging ports in the U.S. and U.K, within Google Maps, helping travelers know if chargers are available before they head to a station.

realtime_launch.gif
To use the feature, simply search for “ev charging stations” to see up to date information from networks like Chargemaster, EVgo, SemaConnect and soon, Chargepoint. The app shows how many ports are currently available, along with other helpful details, like the business where the station is located, port types and charging speeds. You’ll also see information about the station from other drivers, including photos, ratings, reviews and questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm... For North London, when I view Tesla Superchargers on Google Maps it doesn't show availability. The same for other charging stations in the area. However, I did find a single Chargemaster location that shows availability. Good job, Google.

Hmmmm... For North London, when I view Tesla Superchargers on Google Maps it doesn't show availability. The same for other charging stations in the area. However, I did find a single Chargemaster location that shows availability. Good job, Google.

I also searched for a Tesla SC in the US and noticed the same thing. I read the article again and it does not mention Tesla SC's. It says "see up to date information from networks like Chargemaster, EVgo, SemaConnect and soon, Chargepoint.".

Just tried this at my College. It works! I love charging here, FOR FREE. App shows 4 spots but does not state availability. I suspect it is chargepoint since other local EV stations do infact shoe # of chargers and availability. Love My Model 3.

I also searched for a Tesla SC in the US and noticed the same thing. I read the article again and it does not mention Tesla SC's. It says "see up to date information from networks like Chargemaster, EVgo, SemaConnect and soon, Chargepoint.".
The Tesla App already shoes all the superchargers. Google MAPS shows these. Have to put ev chargers in search bar.

ChargePoint dominates near me so not very useful yet. Also, though I seldom charge on the road and even more seldom use non-Tesla chargers, I doubt if “available” means operational. Of course, Tesla has individual chargers out of service at times, but I get the impression it’s a much bigger issue for non-Tesla chargers.

I thought google would do something cool, like an on-demand satellite fly-by to scope out how many cars are actually parked at a charging location. Thereby catching ICE'ers as well to subtract from the total available.

But no... not that cool.