Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GOP tax reform bill would end the $7500 EV tax credit (and other tax related grousing and grumbling)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoken like a true Texan.
I've got another Tesla about 3 weeks from delivery. Is the $7,500 nice? Sure if you can claim it, and I'll claim all I can. But if the credit goes away it won't bother me nor stop me from getting any EV. I can see how the model 3, bolt or leaf would effect a buyer decision but an S/X? it's a pure luxury car.

Would legacy automakers be against or for the tax credit? Wouldn't GM and Nissan (and almost every other manufacturer) be worried about EV investments or do ICE sales trump everything?
EVs count for less than 1% of car sales, you really think they care? Chey and nissan are the only other thave have put huge money into EV america.

EVs count for less than 1% of car sales, you really think they care? Chey and nissan are the only other thave have put huge money into EV america.
I bet Tesla's half a million reservations for the M3 have woken up the ICE bosses and oil-industry as well as Elon's plans on solar city and batteries.
In Europe cities are being closed for polluting cars, the sale of ICE's is restricted within 10-20 years. Also China with its enormous population is going strong in EV's.
The world is changing quickly and the giants of the past are playing every trick to kill the EV, sustainable energy etc. Our health and that of the planet is of less importance to them than the preservation of their power and status. Understandable, however it's a shame that legislators conspire with them instead of maintaining public intrest. O well, Trump was chosen in a democratic way, so everyone will have lie in it.

• Love
Reactions: T34ME and RubberToe
I'd rather have the $7500 tax incentive available to all, despite what my extra take-home would be. Knowing that people will be healthier due to the outcome of the incentive means a lot more to me than take-home dollars.

For many of us, it's not about what's in it for us personally on the balance sheet, but how to limit the harm we do.

Nothing prevents you from taking that $2500/year for 3 years and donating $7500 to a friend or family member who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a Tesla.

I promised my wife we would take any and all tax breaks we would receive as a result of this administration and send it to Democratic congressional challengers all over the nation.

If people here feel so strongly about the credit, I challenge you to similarly give up your upcoming GOP tax break to someone else to buy an EV instead. Heck maybe someone here can start a 501(c)3 for just this purpose and we can all pool together.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the oil industry has much deeper (and richer) ties than the EV community. Is there even such a thing as an EV 'lobbyist'?.. I'm hopeful but not optimistic about this tax credit getting maimed. Maybe they can put it off for a year, but I really doubt it'll be taken off the table.

I don't expect this to be passed in it's current form, the EV lobbyist will be out in full force to prevent this from happening. It's unfortunate, but I'm pretty sure that a substantial amount of M3 reservists will now look to cancel if the $7.5K tax credit is no longer there.

This is a balancing act... getting the budget and taxes under control without enraging too many people.
The House Republican tax plan increases deficits by $1.5 trillion over 10 years. It has nothing to do with getting budgets and taxes under control. Remember when Republicans were fiscal hawks? That was when we had a president of a different party. Principles, my man, principles!

Nothing prevents you from taking that $2500/year for 3 years and donating $7500 to a friend or family member who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a Tesla.

I promised my wife we would take any and all tax breaks we would receive as a result of this administration and send it to Democratic congressional challengers all over the nation.

If people here feel so strongly about the credit, I challenge you to similarly give up your tax break to someone else to buy an EV. Heck maybe someone here can start a 501(c)3 for just this purpose.
It has to be taken all at once. If I had taken it, it would have been $400 for me. You have to have $7500 in federal taxes due that year. The people I am referring to typically are way under that. They are way more than half the population.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I don't really see the need for $75k+ cars to need a tax credit anyway. Is there really anyone here that wouldn't have bought a new Tesla without that credit?

Probably not, at least for the S and X. I'm far enough down queue for the Model 3 that I've never worried about the credit. Since Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, that's not a concern either. Losing the state tax exemption would hurt. But the cutoff of $500k for mortgage deductions doesn't matter.

I suspect the latter will bite the GOP on the butt, should it pass, though. I doubt 90% of the members of Congress have any idea how much housing costs today. I wonder if it would apply to farms?

keep in mind that in many countries like India and China, cars don't even have to meet the emissions and fuel economy that they have to meet in the USA or Europe.

Where did you get that from?

China and India are both currently following the Euro IV emission standards.

India is changing to Euro VI in 2020, bringing it on par to where Europe is today.

China's emission standard in 2020 will change to be the toughest in the world, combining the lowest levels of BOTH Euro VI and US Tier 2 & CARB standards. This is very much by design - apart from handling their local pollution, this would allow Chinese car manufacturers to be able to sell cars into the US & European markets without significant modification.

As far as CO2 emissions - at the same time China will require a fleet average mileage requirement of 47 mpg. Where will the US be in 2020? 35 mpg combined IF we're lucky and this requirement isn't scaled back? China already reached 35mpg back in 2015.

It has to be taken all at once. If I had taken it, it would have been $400 for me. You have to have $7500 in federal taxes due that year. The people I am referring to typically are way under that. They are way more than half the population.

You only had $400 in Federal taxes? That means you earned ... mmm... let me check... a total of $14'500 for 2016?

You should probably not be buying a new Tesla in that case.

You only had $400 in Federal taxes? That means you earned ... mmm... let me check... a total of $14'500 for 2016?

You should probably not be buying a new Tesla in that case.

No, that means he only had taxable income to reach that low level. There are several ways to have insanely low taxes and still make a crap ton.

Classic example is Warren Buffet who always points out he is in a lower tax bracket than his secretary.