Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got EVed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking to do that but the batteries are only good for 5 years maximum and they cost as much as the whole lawn mower to replace. My 20+ year old gas lawn mower is still working fine.
True on the price. My battery is pushing 4 years, though, and seems to be good as new. (It's also my chainsaw battery.) It's a lithium ion and somewhere (marketing lit?) it said it contained "Tesla technology". That, and the fact it worked so well, led me to do a test drive and buy a Model S.
I mowed mine with a push mower when I was younger and much poorer.
Dragging a cord around the 1/2 acre would be troublesome to say the least.
I have a Case tractor for this now though. The garden is also 1/2 acre and I'm not tilling that by hand.
That's why I originally wrote "If you can".

I was looking to do that but the batteries are only good for 5 years maximum and they cost as much as the whole lawn mower to replace. My 20+ year old gas lawn mower is still working fine.
My B&D mower battery is over 9 years old and still worked fine last summer. A replacement battery would run ~$100. If I need a replacement battery this year, that would still work out to less than $10 a year.

Get an electric mower, if you can. Seriously. No stink, a fraction of the noise, and virtually none of the maintenance.
I loved taking my left-over gas and oil to the recycling center and saying "keep the cans."
That's what I did. I have a corded mower from Sears. It's been flawless for 20+ years now. The only maintenance is sharpening the blade.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Unless you have a huge yard, I don't know why anyone would buy a gas mower (especially when you own a GD tesla). No need for ear protection, clean, no oil to deal with, no starting problems, no trips to stupid gas station...

I haven't used a gas mower in over 10 years.

How do you tie down gas cans in the 3. I haven't figured out how to use the trunk for propane, Corny Kegs, or Gas or carboys yet. There is plenty of room but no way to tie anything down?
Use the depression in the trunk. A 5/6 gallon carboy would fit well, as would a corny or propane tanks.

They don't cost that much. Under a 100 bucks.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Really..... I need 1 hour run time. No toy Black and Decker would work for me.
Not saying an E mower would work for your yard, but that attitude is surprising coming from a Tesla owner.

Buy 2. Use one until it runs out, put the used one in the charger, grab a drink, put the fresh battery in the mower, and continue. Repeat as necessary.
My new Ryobi even has onboard storage for a second battery. My yard is larger than most suburban lawns in my area and as long as the grass isn't overly long one is sufficient.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
What’s it called when an EV parks at a gas pump? Do you say you “Got EVed”???

I saw a Model 3 park at a gas pump here in Richmond, VA. Shouldn’t we all avoid parking in front of devices that are meant to provide power to other forms of transportation...
I agree. Do unto others...etc etc. Park somewhere else. We don’t like it when they park in front of charging stations regardless of whether the lot is full or not. We rail on the pictures of ICEd chargers and call them very naughty names. We need to set the example of co-existence.

I mowed 3/4 acre, in Houston, in the summer, and I'm out of shape. Not everybody's cup of tea, though, I admit.
Acre and a half here. For a while I made my older kid mow by 20" push. Then he moved out and .... well don't look at me. :p I did quite enough of that in my youth, family yard was much larger. Although we cheated on larger sections because we bailed it. ;)

Some is left to native brush/trees. Frankly I'd not cut any of it if I could get away with that, silly HOA.

*wants to read nerdy stuff about Teslas*
*ends up in lawnmower fetish forum*

I'm just here looking for a DIY lawnmower attachment for my Model 3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They work amazingly well. It runs whenever you want- you program it's schedule. I program mine to run in the middle of the night. Stealing it it both difficult and useless. It has a loud alarm that goes off if someone tampers with it and doesn't key in the alarm code immediately. Other than the base models, it also notifies you via your phone (cell network) if there's a problem if it gets stuck or stolen or encounters any other difficulties. It has built in GPS so you always know where it is. If stolen, you know exactly where it is and can send the police to retrieve it. Also no stolen unit will be worked on by any service centre.

As to the gopher holes, when it's stuck, it notifies you of the problem and its location. Go out there, rescue the mower, and fill in the gopher hole so it doesn't happen again. Soon the gophers move to less vigilant neighbors' properties.

Because your grass is constantly being cut, only the tiniest bit is trimmed of the top. This it's less traumatic to the blade of grass. Also the clippings are miniscule and invisible on the lawn. Better for the lawn than mulching and with no visible evidence of grass clippings.

The difference between my gas mower and the Automower is even more vast than the difference between my diesel VW and my Model 3 because the Automower also gives me that most irreplaceable commodity: time. Truly the perfect set it and forget it device.

They work amazingly well. It runs whenever you want- you program it's schedule. I program mine to run in the middle of the night. Stealing it it both difficult and useless. It has a loud alarm that goes off if someone tampers with it and doesn't key in the alarm code immediately. Other than the base models, it also notifies you via your phone (cell network) if there's a problem if it gets stuck or stolen or encounters any other difficulties. It has built in GPS so you always know where it is. If stolen, you know exactly where it is and can send the police to retrieve it. Also no stolen unit will be worked on by any service centre.

As to the gopher holes, when it's stuck, it notifies you of the problem and its location. Go out there, rescue the mower, and fill in the gopher hole so it doesn't happen again. Soon the gophers move to less vigilant neighbors' properties.

Because your grass is constantly being cut, only the tiniest bit is trimmed of the top. This it's less traumatic to the blade of grass. Also the clippings are miniscule and invisible on the lawn. Better for the lawn than mulching and with no visible evidence of grass clippings.

The difference between my gas mower and the Automower is even more vast than the difference between my diesel VW and my Model 3 because the Automower also gives me that most irreplaceable commodity: time. Truly the perfect set it and forget it device.
OK, this sounds pretty awesome...so the big question...how much $$?