Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Hit n Run in Parking Lot - TeslaCam caught it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note)

Sorry for delayed response here -- I normally spend "a large amount of hours" a day on TMC, but took christmas and day after as "no web" days.

These threads tend to turn out this way, which is what I was concerned about at the beginning and tried to preemptively head off. This is a reminder to "not do that" or I will likely take a bit more aggressive action than simply moving posts.

I got hit and run too and Tesla Cam capture the plate crystal clear, I only called the guy's insurance company but not mine. I also got the police report on hand. What's next?

how did you get the guys insurance company info.? Most likely, his insurance company is terrible / won't play nicely / your damage over their policy limit, (assuming this since most Hit n Runners are doing so b/c they know they have a bad record / coverage/ etc.)

if above is true, your best bet is to work with YOUR insurance company and pay the collision deductible, and your insurance company will reimburse you the deductible AFTER they have been made whole by the other insurance company. Perhaps your Insurance could view this as a uninsured motorist and if you have UM coverage, that would kick in here.

Currently, in my situation, the other driver's company doesn't seem like they have enough policy limit to fix my car, and most likely will be a huge headache to deal with. So, I'm going to give them a few more days and if no progress, ill proceed with my own insurance company and work it from that angle.

When a moderator says "don't do X", any person that immediately "does X" says a lot about themselves.
If you're referring to my reply, it's because they edited my original post for saying the police not assisting with a crime occurring, is one of many reasons not to live in california.

No one got the full story, because it was edited.

Currently, in my situation, the other driver's company doesn't seem like they have enough policy limit to fix my car, and most likely will be a huge headache to deal with. So, I'm going to give them a few more days and if no progress, ill proceed with my own insurance company and work it from that angle.

By waiting, you're only wasting your own time. They're not going to capitulate to your requests.

If you're referring to my reply, it's because they edited my original post for saying the police not assisting with a crime occurring, is one of many reasons not to live in california.

They were likely replying to the posts that a few different people reported, that have been already moved out of the thread.

Reactions: Sam1

Oh, we definitely saw the original post. What was strange is that it appeared you didn't see the moderator's original post.

Oh, we definitely saw the original post. What was strange is that it appeared you didn't see the moderator's original post.

For the comment @Sam1 is talking about, I had not posted the warning yet, so he could not have seen it for the post he is referencing. Im not trying to make this post about that (I actually am trying very hard to have the thread not be about that topic).

His insurance company called me back yesterday - they were pretty unprofessional lol - the lady told me , “oh, you have a Tesla, I don’t think we have enough money to fix that, it’s over our limit “. Lmao

Looks like I’ll end up paying $1k to my insurance and hope to get it back someday

Currently, in my situation, the other driver's company doesn't seem like they have enough policy limit to fix my car, and most likely will be a huge headache to deal with.

@Tezla1 All of this is B.S.

Car insurances have big pockets, it's a very profitable business. Why do you think Tesla want to enter in this business.

Any car repair costs peanuts compare to any medical care. One hospital day costs more than a brand new Tesla Model S Plaid,

Do not talk any more with the other insurance or the other driver.

Find a lawyer (from your insurance or a private lawyer)
and never talk with anyone else than your lawyer

The other driver hit you and left the scene. Don't have any pity for this ###hole.

You also need to make a medical claim,

May be you don't realize yet but you might start felling some stiffness,
and you might suffer for many years from PTSD or any other pains following this incident.

This might looks a little bit extreme, but after submitting a medical claim the other insurance will completely change their tone.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlThompson
I spoke to Police officer today, he came over the house.

He asked if I want to pursue it as a criminal case or just incident report.

What should I do?

He said, for a criminal case - I would have to act as a “victim of a crime” and then file charges vs driver for him to have any real consequences for misdemeanor - likely a slap on the wrist is small fine. For this, I would need to go to court etc.

Or, I can file a simple incident report and nothing happens (legally) to the guy who hit n ran - his insurance will still payout due to my video - bc MY insurance will use it as evidence to push for reimbursement to them.

While I do want justice, I’m also scared this driver may find out my name/address and try to potentially harm my family - in the event I pursue this in court. the guy looked a bit rough and the area this happened in is not a good neighborhood. Plus, do I want to risk my family’s safety for $200 fine? Lol

What do you guys think?
Are you joking or what?

This driver hit you and ran away and you are puzzle about taking actions against this driver?

1. Running away is a misdemeanor.

2. Your car get damaged and you lost your clean title, so the value of your car get depreciated.

3. This driver is irresponsible, driving while looking at his phone on a parking lot is very dangerous.

- Imagine that this driver had hit a kid crossing instead of your car? This driver should had his license suspended.

I witness an accident on a parking lot between a car and a pedestrian on a parking lot.
This was very bad, and the lady who was hit had to get one of her leg amputated above the knee.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other driver's Insurance Appraiser came out to see my car yesterday and they said the damage is under $6,500, so it is covered under policy limit.

But, they have NOT been able to contact their driver - they have been trying to call them, but no answer.

So, Adjuster told me, if they cannot get in contact with their insured, they will deny the claim. LMAO.

They will let me know next week, IF they will approve or deny claim.

To all those saying to go after the driver:

1. I have a family and I'm not interested in getting into some drama vs a person who may have no problems going to jail lol.
By going to court vs him, I would have to disclose my personal info, where I live etc. Not worth the $1,000 deductible

2. Already spoke to 2 lawyers, they said don't waste your time - if there are NO injuries, there is NO case.

3. worst case scenario: my insurance will cover the damage, and reimburse my deductible.

@Tezla1 I agree that sometime it is not worth the trouble to aggravate the situation.
Like starting a road rage when someone cut you off.

What I didn't like is how the other insurance started mocking you and denied any coverage
while you have all the evidences to sue them and to go to court from this hit and run driver.

But, they have NOT been able to contact their driver - they have been trying to call them, but no answer.
So, Adjuster told me, if they cannot get in contact with their insured, they will deny the claim. LMAO.
This is again 100% BS.

So seriously, what the point to have insurance policies if you have to fight to get your rights acknowledged?

I think this is a very serious mater. Accidents occur and there are insurances to cover those issues.

The fact that the other insurance denied any responsability and having to play "arm wrestling"
would bothering me and would certainly keep me upset fort a long time.

Honestly, I would not let it down and will try finding a lawyer to fight this case.

Sweet! Good to know that if I ever wreck someone's car I can just send unknown callers to voicemail. I usually do that anyway.

@Tezla1 Just be aware that your insurance company may charge you more than the full repair cost. They have no interest in helping or "insuring" you, "insurance" is actually just a line-of-credit with an unlimited interest rate. That's why they will *never* tell you what a claim is going to cost and it's why insurance executives are lumped in with bankers and wall street players as the filthiest of the filthy rich. And you can't just make a claim and then jump to another company since they have backroom agreements with every other agency ensuring that your debt gets repaid no matter what.

@Tezla1 Just be aware that your insurance company may charge you more than the full repair cost.
I experienced a similar serenade than described by @Tezla1 .
I get rear-end collision on a freeway at slow speed. My insurance informed that my repairs will not be cover by the other insurance,
without giving me any reason, and I will have to use my un-insured coverage but I will not have to pay the deductable.

I immediately contacted a private lawyer to look at this issue. I was thinking that the other driver was making me responsible.
I learned in fact that the other insurance wanted to deny the repairs to both my car and the other car, pretending that the
driver was not listed as driver. He was in fact driving his wife's car, and his wife sitting next to him on the passenger seat.
I realized how nasty insurances can be.

It was good that I didn't accepted doing any compromise with my insurance, as the repairs were much complex than
initially thought, because the aluminum panels cannot be stretches back and need to be replaced. Also I would had
no way to sue the other driver to get paid for my rental car during repairs and to get diminished value reimbursement.

Last edited: