Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my 2019.40.2.1 update by pressing Advanced multiple times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read about this and tried it, but it has never worked. Today after noticing thousands of 40.2.1 updates and still not receiving mine, I went to the software tab, pressed it once and it said my software was up to date (2019.40.1.1). Then I pressed it several times and after a "checking for updates" message it began downloading 40.2.1

Obviously the car has to be eligible for the upgrade, but I wonder how long it might have been before Tesla pushed it had I had not used this method.

Just got my update as well using this method. Seems this update is in wide release now. Looking forward to the improved wiper action and the charging rate increase for M3 SR+.
upload_2019-12-11_19-8-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-11_19-8-55.png
    upload_2019-12-11_19-8-55.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Sherlo
Just got done charging Tessie. After reading the OP's suggestion, I went out to the garage with the intention of bashing the Advanced button four or sixty times to force the update. Turns out that was not necessary. The update was sitting there on the screen, asking whether to install. I said yes and the update is underway. This ought to be interesting!

I have read about this and tried it, but it has never worked. Today after noticing thousands of 40.2.1 updates and still not receiving mine, I went to the software tab, pressed it once and it said my software was up to date (2019.40.1.1). Then I pressed it several times and after a "checking for updates" message it began downloading 40.2.1

Obviously the car has to be eligible for the upgrade, but I wonder how long it might have been before Tesla pushed it had I had not used this method.

Attachments

• Serious.jpg
    Serious.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: kkillebrew
I am on 2019.36.2.3 and pressed the Advanced button 300 times while on hold to speak to my pharmacy and it did absolutely nothing.

Note that when you open the tab it does force refresh the updates, just like how most OSes work. Except the actual posting of the notification happens in the background and the UI simply says your car is up to date and then a minute later the update icon appears.

Force refreshing does help your car realize quicker that an update is pending. It does nothing if you weren't already chosen. The tapping of the advanced button does nothing compared to just waiting that amount of time.

I am on 2019.36.2.3 and pressed the Advanced button 300 times while on hold to speak to my pharmacy and it did absolutely nothing.

Note that when you open the tab it does force refresh the updates, just like how most OSes work. Except the actual posting of the notification happens in the background and the UI simply says your car is up to date and then a minute later the update icon appears.

Force refreshing does help your car realize quicker that an update is pending. It does nothing if you weren't already chosen. The tapping of the advanced button does nothing compared to just waiting that amount of time.

That's understood. But what is the "amount of time" ? I think you are saying that the next time I got in the car it would have happened anyway within a few minutes or less? Certainly possible that it was coincidental. This is the first time that I have had to initiate both the download and the install. Previously when I got a notification the download had already occurred.

Just reporting that the tapping trick worked for me last night also.
However, I regret downloading it. Regen braking is much lighter and less aggressive than it was previously. I honestly liked the aggressive braking. Additionally, the car appears to waver and feels less stable with this update. Corners in particular seem to cause problems with the car not slowing down as much as it used to. Haven't tried the Neural Network wipers yet, but to be honest, anything would be an improvement on what I had before the update.