Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Got my 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so guys as you know I was expecting my vehicle on november but then got delayed to december because of some issues at the factory.

Short intro to my story, I custom ordered my tesla on september 20 and It was built october 12 just days before the "new" auto pilot feauture, thought they would have told me to cancel the order and get the new one but nothing.

So first disapointment, then the day of delivery arrived and got a call 2 hours before from the delivery girl saying that it had to be delayed 2 hours, i said ok but my gut was telling me something is wrong.

Got a call 30 minutes before me going to tesla and they said that the vehicle had two rock chips on the door and the black rocker under the falcon door was a bit damaged. Two options the first being leaving the car to be fixed for another month or pick up the car sechedule the appointment and that.

I just went for option two and delivery and everyrhing was ok, i dis not checke for any other details other than the rock chips but when i got home I noticed some horrible misalignments on the hood, falcon doors and rear window chrome bezels.

I am now dissapointes x2 even though i love the vehicle its been two things that took away my happiness and now i am here sending emails to report the alignment issues but have not got any answers. The woman who was in charge of my delivery is out for a week and i have not gotten a response yet.

So thats my situation as of now. I will upload pics

@HumbertoR

Really sorry to hear about this. I'll be picking my X up end of this month, and your post causes great concern.

For what it's worth, I would have done the same as you- made the appointment and taken the X home for me and my family to enjoy.

I'd like to pose a question for those seniors on the forum who may be better versed in legalese and policy than I- what options does one truly have when confronted with this situation?

Has anyone been in a similar situation and decided not to accept the new car, completely walking away from the transaction and willfully giving up their deposit due to loss of faith in Tesla?

Part 1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 131
Wow, stinks to see your pics and hear initial story. I took delivery of ours, #8139, and had to wait a week for the rear hatch to be disassembled and rebuilt to fix an alignment issue there that was major, and I'd say we have some very minor ones that you can typically see around the door handles, and the passenger side has a larger FWD gap. Those are about it, but they are less that what you have in a few spots. Our was also delivered with a completely loose rocking driver's seat that squeaked and moved 1/2" almost, cracked plastic trim under seats, and it still has an odd driver door grinding noise (subtle) along with a hatch slight popping noise like it struggles. All that and the car is still wonderful, or even great overall to own.

Having said all that, it is painful to see Tesla delivering these issues still after all the QA at factor and QA at SCs. The S seems solid now and X still appears like an afterthought design with a production process that just can't be perfected down to a perfect fit across the car. The car feels solid/stable/heavy even, but its cosmetic shell is a beautiful one that people admire, but pretty misaligned everywhere...

How that car made it through ANY QC is beyond comprehension. My S had one door/chrome alignment problem that they were able to mostly fix. Not perfect, but I said close enough as I didn't want them to make it worse or mess the paint. I also had to have the left taillight assembly fully replaced and right assembly reconnected right out of the gate. You mean they send cars out without even checking the lights? Hard to comprehend... :mad:

Reactions: Mike M
I have been living with the assumption my X has been stuck in production because it failed inspection... but this kind of thing makes me think there is no inspection. I mean, if this passed and mine failed, my doors must have fallen off when it reached lines end.

How that car made it through ANY QC is beyond comprehension. My S had one door/chrome alignment problem that they were able to mostly fix. Not perfect, but I said close enough as I didn't want them to make it worse or mess the paint. I also had to have the left taillight assembly fully replaced and right assembly reconnected right out of the gate. You mean they send cars out without even checking the lights? Hard to comprehend... :mad:
I don't really think they have QC. As mentioned if there was there wouldn't be any car delivered like it is now. Their QC is probably just the delivery center doing a visual inspection (similar to a lease return walk through I suppose). That's why most of the time the car is already at the delivery center and they want you to pick it up and deal it with later.

Obviously the factory has no QC. It is clear they are depending on the SC to clean up the mess and make the final adjustments before delivery. I guess those with good SC shops are getting much better cars. My X had no issues and everything was perfectly aligned when I took delivery. My SC was awesome! However when they start rolling off mass quantities of the Model 3 the public will not tolerate that kind of nonsense from the factory and the SC shops will be overwhelmed. This will create a stigma that Teslas are junk and then bye bye Tesla motors. This happened with AMC back in the 80's. it will happen again if Telsa doesn't take action..

Last edited:
Reactions: jason1466
Obviously the factory has no QC. It is clear they are depending on the SC to clean up the mess and make the final adjustments before delivery. I guess those with good SC shops are getting much better cars. My X had no issues and everything was perfectly aligned when I took delivery. My SC was awesome! However when they start rolling off mass quantities of the Model 3 the public will not tolerate that kind of nonsense from the factory and the SC shops will be overwhelmed. This will create a stigma that Teslas are junk and then bye bye Tesla motors. This happened with AMC back in the 80's. it will happen again if Telsa doesn't take action..
Not true. Rumor has it that Elon stores his sleeping bag at the end of the production line permanently now.