Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Tired Of The EV Shuffle With Dealers And Bought A Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new on the Tesla page, though I have been following it as a reader. I am 75 years old and got tired of waiting for a decent EV to arrive in my state of Tennessee. Every time my hopes got up, the car was only going to Europe, Asia, or California. Yesterday I contacted the Tesla dealer in Brentwood and placed an order for the Tesla 3 series. You don't have to sell me on the car. I have watched every You Tube video, read everything I could get my hands on, and read this Tesla newsletter. All you owners have taught me a lot about the car and your comments are helpful to new people like me. I have high confidence in the product and I have always considered Eon Musk the Einstein of our era..all over the board at times..but still way ahead of his time. So keep posting comments. The sales person said about a month, but I am patient. At least I am not falling for the other dealers promises of 'maybe in 2022".

I am new on the Tesla page, though I have been following it as a reader. I am 75 years old and got tired of waiting for a decent EV to arrive in my state of Tennessee. Every time my hopes got up, the car was only going to Europe, Asia, or California. Yesterday I contacted the Tesla dealer in Brentwood and placed an order for the Tesla 3 series. You don't have to sell me on the car. I have watched every You Tube video, read everything I could get my hands on, and read this Tesla newsletter. All you owners have taught me a lot about the car and your comments are helpful to new people like me. I have high confidence in the product and I have always considered Eon Musk the Einstein of our era..all over the board at times..but still way ahead of his time. So keep posting comments. The sales person said about a month, but I am patient. At least I am not falling for the other dealers promises of 'maybe in 2022".
Congrats, I think you made the right choice. :)

Hi! Welcome! I just picked up my M3 this past Saturday and I love it! I do feel like it's a car that I will have to baby a bit more than my old car in terms of being careful about the paint finish and needing to put winter tires on it in the winter, but I love having an EV and I love having the Tesla! I'm lucky there are other EVs selling in this area though. I test drove a Bolt, a Leaf, a Volt, a Clarity Hybrid and an Accord Hybrid. I liked the Accord and the Leaf.... then I test drove the Tesla and didn't give the others another thought. It's funny, some of the things I really disliked about the Clarity and Volt like terrible view through the rearview mirror and riding low to the ground are things I completely overlook in my M3. It's just THAT enjoyable of a car! Now my biggest issue is that it isn't made for short people and the seat belt cuts into my neck and the more I drive it, the more it bothers me so I need to find a solution for that. Waiting to get your car is a good time to figure out what (if any) accessories you want for the car. It doesn't come with floormats so you might want to look at those. I also got a sun shade to put in the windshield when it's parked in the sun and it helps keep it cooler inside. Something I'm still considering getting is a shade for the roof and the special cable to plug your phone into the usb port. I thought the salesman said the cable came with the car (which was unusual to me), but it didn't. I don't really need it for every day driving, just for trips so no hurry. Oh, and the EV charging cable that comes with the car only has the adapter for 110 outlet and for non-Tesla destination charging (mine is a J1772 adapter). It does not come with one for a 220 outlet so you'll have to order that too if you want it.

I know how you feel, in regards to other dealers. Down here in Louisiana I was really interested in the Malibu Hybrid but no one at Chevy would talk to me about it. Said there was no interest down here in that car, even though I said I was. They said they best they could do would be order one for full factory price. No deals, no incentives. I said no thanks, and went on looking for something else and stumbled across the Model 3. Will hopefully have mine by next week.

Congrats. Im also in Nashville and love my 3. Also they have quite a bit in stock around here, so hopefully you will get it soon!

Now my biggest issue is that it isn't made for short people and the seat belt cuts into my neck and the more I drive it, the more it bothers me so I need to find a solution for that.

The shoulder belt anchors on the B pillar are adjustable. I can't promise that'll fix the problem for you, but it's worth trying if you haven't already.

the special cable to plug your phone into the usb port. I thought the salesman said the cable came with the car (which was unusual to me), but it didn't.

It used to be that the Model 3 came with two such cables, one USB-C (for recent Android phones) and the other for Apple devices; but that little packet was quietly dropped about two months ago. IIRC, you can get the packet with those two cables for about $15. Generic cables should work, too, but Tesla's are designed to slot into the phone nook in the center console so you can just slide the phone in to charge. (This doesn't always work, though, especially if your phone is in a protective case.) If you use a generic cable, it'll probably take two hands to plug it in. Another alternative, if your phone supports it, is to get a wireless charging pad. Several are available aftermarket, and Tesla has recently begun selling one, too. I don't know much about them, though, since my phone doesn't support this feature, so I haven't researched it.

I know how you feel, in regards to other dealers. Down here in Louisiana I was really interested in the Malibu Hybrid but no one at Chevy would talk to me about it. Said there was no interest down here in that car, even though I said I was.

My closest Chevy dealer has long had one token Volt on its lot, and later a token Bolt, too. I leased my Volt through them, but whenever I took it in for service (which was too often, I'm afraid), they complained about how weird it was. When I started looking seriously for a replacement as the lease end was approaching, I asked about test driving a Bolt, but they didn't have any on the lot. Perhaps I was imagining things, but the tone in the salesperson's voice sounded like he was thinking "we don't sully ourselves with such things; stop insulting me and buy a pickup truck." (They have plenty of pickup trucks, although this isn't a rural area.) Fortunately, other dealerships not too far away were far more accommodating; the one where I test drove the Bolt had about half a dozen on the lot. The point being that what sort of vehicles from a manufacturer's lineup you'll find at any given dealer really is a gamble. EVs in particular seem not to be loved by most traditional car dealers, but there are exceptions to that rule.

Congrats on the purchase, I waited about 2 months and it was worth it 100% for my Standard Range Plus. Honestly I prefer it over all other other EV's I've driven including the Model S, the interior is much more comfy and ergonomic. Both Tesla cars are in another league compared to other options, the Bolt, Volt, Leaf, and E-Golf are good, but just not the same, yet only about 10% cheaper. The Tesla is worth the premium for sure!

Reactions: pjoseph and Fiddler
@ColonelRHS: Welcome to the fold! You'll love it! I've had my M3 since July 2018 and have found it to be one of the best cars I've ever owned (it's my 152nd - I've been a car guy for the past 53 years).
@morningstar: I went through a Missouri winter with lots of snow on the All Season tires that are on the car and had no problems with getting around. The low center of gravity and excellent weight bias make the M3 an excellent handling car in all weather conditions.

Good afternoon everyone,

My 1st post. I’m told my Model 3 will arrive at my home in New Orleans next Wednesday. I am very excited.

I ordered the car with the standard 18” wheels. After a couple of days, I decided the 19s were really what I wanted. I called my delivery guy and was told that any change to my 2 day old order would cause a delay. I didn’t want to risk my pre June 30 tax credit so I left it alone.

Anybody know a way to get a set of 19’s in a swap for my 18s plus $1,500?

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Hi! Welcome! I just picked up my M3 this past Saturday and I love it! I do feel like it's a car that I will have to baby a bit more than my old car in terms of being careful about the paint finish and needing to put winter tires on it in the winter, but I love having an EV and I love having the Tesla! I'm lucky there are other EVs selling in this area though. I test drove a Bolt, a Leaf, a Volt, a Clarity Hybrid and an Accord Hybrid. I liked the Accord and the Leaf.... then I test drove the Tesla and didn't give the others another thought. It's funny, some of the things I really disliked about the Clarity and Volt like terrible view through the rearview mirror and riding low to the ground are things I completely overlook in my M3. It's just THAT enjoyable of a car! Now my biggest issue is that it isn't made for short people and the seat belt cuts into my neck and the more I drive it, the more it bothers me so I need to find a solution for that. Waiting to get your car is a good time to figure out what (if any) accessories you want for the car. It doesn't come with floormats so you might want to look at those. I also got a sun shade to put in the windshield when it's parked in the sun and it helps keep it cooler inside. Something I'm still considering getting is a shade for the roof and the special cable to plug your phone into the usb port. I thought the salesman said the cable came with the car (which was unusual to me), but it didn't. I don't really need it for every day driving, just for trips so no hurry. Oh, and the EV charging cable that comes with the car only has the adapter for 110 outlet and for non-Tesla destination charging (mine is a J1772 adapter). It does not come with one for a 220 outlet so you'll have to order that too if you want it.

I have long legs and a short torso. My solution (in my S) was to raise the seat to max height and use a seat cushion.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Congratulations - IMHO you DID make the right choice. I am 69, same reasons as yours.

Congratulations! We’re happy for you. I’ve had my M3 for 3 months. It’s a thrill every time I see it in the driveway. Even the worst day at work melts away when I get in and drive away. I’m 60 and it’s the nicest, coolest car I’ve ever owned. I hope you get it sooner than they said.