Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got V10!!! but no Theater Mode :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow is this serious? The web browser used to work and play audio and video? Was is smooth?[/
Wow is this serious? The web browser used to work and play audio and video? Was is smooth?

when it worked it was smooth. The Tesla guys obviously had picked demo YouTube videos they knew worked reliably. Ones I tried were hit or miss. Fast forward, Today google has gotten very good at making device specific video html and reencodings to prevent playback issues on all types of hardware old and new. Anything that works on a 2010 netbook should play on that mcu1.

The Tegra processor in a 2017 Tesla should be fast enough to handle video streaming, especially while the vehicle is parked and the processor isn't busy doing anything else.

If Tesla decided not to support video streaming on MCU1, it's more likely a software resources decision - and not a technical limitation, because the number of MCU1 vehicles capable of video streaming is so small (compared to MCU2 vehicles) that Tesla decided not to invest any resources on that.

Which increases the need for Tesla to provide MCU2 upgrades - if that will be required to get full support of new software updates...

I also believe that it's a software issue...afterall MCU1 is much advanced (faster, better, etc) compared to some older phones where I still watch netflix, hulu youtube & much more. I am not expecting an IMAX experience, just some entertainment while parked.

yeah, but you will probably spend most of the time going to bathroom and getting food. I personally would rather spend that time to walk around instead of sitting in the car to watch netflix since I probably just drove for a couple hours.
When your power is out, no wifi, no netflix. you will probably end up watching it on your phone in your car anyway. haha.
I will give you watching it during bad air quality.

The bigger point here is that I dont like the trend...of MCU1 cars getting de-prioritized. Today its Netflix but tomorrow could be something more critical feature.

Even my kid wonders: how come M3 costs half MX and still get more? Wasnt MX supposed to be luxury? And what happened to the sales pitches of "gets better with each upgrade" (better is a relative term, and MCU1 cars are at risk of not being as good as MCU2).

I also believe that it's a software issue...afterall MCU1 is much advanced (faster, better, etc) compared to some older phones where I still watch netflix, hulu youtube & much more. I am not expecting an IMAX experience, just some entertainment while parked.

Someone posted that when the S first came out and was demoed the web browser worked fine and could play YouTube

I would like to hear an honest explanation from Tesla about why older cars are not allowed to use video. Not that I’d ever use it much, but in my 2012 test drive model S YouTube mp4 videos worked just fine over WiFi back then. Using the web browser with Pandora audio and vevo music videos was a primary wow factor selling point for the not-a-salesman guys. Tesla released v4 “update” to delete the video and audio drivers from the web browser. SC’s mentioned some contract, Something about ATT’s terms of service, even WiFi video/audio wasn’t allowed in their billing with Jasper wireless SIM cards. I wonder if that subcontract excuse still exists for older cars?
It's because the video players use the browser, and Tesla was too lazy to update MCU1 browser so we still have the old webkit that doesn't work on a modern internet. They can fix it just by updating the browser, but t his way they get to tell you to replace your car.

I checked under entertainment, but all I have is arcade, no theater mode. Everything else in the release notes appears to be there. Not sure why I don't have theater mode. Any other Model S's out there with V10 in the same predicament?

I have a 2017 90D
I have MCU2.5 so can someone explain why it's missing on my car. I have had two updates of version 10 and neither has installed the theater mode with Netflix, Hulu, or careoke. I have everything. Else. Also when my car updates it always shows a blank screen for release notes doesn't tell me anything every update. Thought it was a fluke with one or two updates but now happens every time along with missing things I know I should have.

I have MCU2.5 so can someone explain why it's missing on my car. I have had two updates of version 10 and neither has installed the theater mode with Netflix, Hulu, or careoke. I have everything. Else. Also when my car updates it always shows a blank screen for release notes doesn't tell me anything every update. Thought it was a fluke with one or two updates but now happens every time along with missing things I know I should have.
Do you have a special character in your car's name? If so, that can prevent Theater Mode and most new v10 features from showing up. We had this issue in three cars. Once we renamed them temporarily, the new v10 features showed up. We then changed the vehicle names back and the v10 features still worked.

I too have the blank release note window after several updates from Tesla. This image was taken on August 22nd for example.

ECj_AZYX4AEWJbS

Do you have a special character in your car's name? If so, that can prevent Theater Mode and most new v10 features from showing up. We had this issue in three cars. Once we renamed them temporarily, the new v10 features showed up. We then changed the vehicle names back and the v10 features still worked.

Special character like what?

Would an apostrophe be considered special, as in "Bob's Tesla"?

I bet a lot of people name their car something like that.

Special character like what?

Would an apostrophe be considered special, as in "Bob's Tesla"?

I bet a lot of people name their car something like that.
You can use foreign characters by holding down a letter. I don't know about the spare but if it causes problems, try changing the name. It's also possible they've fixed the issue since we figured out the cause.

I was told Even though I have 2.5 hardware cameras and such, my screen hardware is version 1 and that’s why I won’t get the updated V10 features outside of the driving upgrades. So enhanced summons was included but none of the infotainment upgrades. Found it quite crazy that my car is only 2 years old and already obsolete when it comes to getting all update upgrades. My biggest gripe is that my music artwork that was suppose to be better in Version 10 still doesn’t work. I randomly get art work to show anymore. Both with my iPhone 11 Pro or with my Note 10 plus. And they can’t figure out why. I guess they will tell me my screen is too old for that feature soon too.

My wife still drives a '94 Toyota 4x4 and it does the same job as the day we bought it new.

I don't dare to think what my 'eco warrior' planet saving Tesla will be doing even 10 years from now.