Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got V10!!! but no Theater Mode :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several threads and one monster thread on the ‘promised’ MCU upgrade. It’s not a plug and play replace and may require the binnacle being replaced also. It may never happen for the small number (relatively) of owners willing to pay for it if Tesla ever figures out how to do it.

The Tegra processor in a 2017 Tesla should be fast enough to handle video streaming, especially while the vehicle is parked and the processor isn't busy doing anything else.

If Tesla decided not to support video streaming on MCU1, it's more likely a software resources decision - and not a technical limitation, because the number of MCU1 vehicles capable of video streaming is so small (compared to MCU2 vehicles) that Tesla decided not to invest any resources on that.

Which increases the need for Tesla to provide MCU2 upgrades - if that will be required to get full support of new software updates...

I checked under entertainment, but all I have is arcade, no theater mode. Everything else in the release notes appears to be there. Not sure why I don't have theater mode. Any other Model S's out there with V10 in the same predicament?

I have a 2017 90D

No Theater model for my MX. I have MCU2.5 with EAP. I can't but will wait - in the past, lane avoidance assist was installed 2 versions (1-2 months) later than the original release. Bummer but not going to service center which is becoming a pain.

No.. Its ridiculous to take a $60K bath to replace the cars.
If every improvement compels you to trade in an almost new car, you will find car ownership a very expensive proposition. My Model S is 5 years old and I have a hard time justifying a new one even now. Certainly not the ability to watch youtube or other such party tricks.

Seriously, people are going crazy with this update. How many of us will actually use this feature after a month or 2 that frequently? Eventually you won't be able to use it without Wifi, so pretty much you can only use it at home. I would rather watch Netflix on my 110 inch projector than in my car. Good luck waiting for Supercharger to upgrade to have free Wifi, that will definitely be awhile. Haha, I guess a lot of us like to just park outside of Starbucks and watch Netflix there?

What I really excited about is now Sentry mode and Dashcam can use the rearview camera, to me and I believe to many others this is a much more important and particle feature. Just be happy that our car continue to get better and stop worrying about some feature that you will hardly ever use in the future.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Seriously, people are going crazy with this update. How many of us will actually use this feature after a month or 2 that frequently? Eventually you won't be able to use it without Wifi, so pretty much you can only use it at home. I would rather watch Netflix on my 110 inch projector than in my car. Good luck waiting for Supercharger to upgrade to have free Wifi, that will definitely be awhile. Haha, I guess a lot of us like to just park outside of Starbucks and watch Netflix there?

It is actually funny you said that. So yesterday both my Model 3 and my wife's Model X (MCU 1) was downloading the updates. I told my wife, "We are getting Netflix in our cars!" She told me "What good is that? How often would we watch Netflix in the car?" It is true... kind of cool but probably won't get much use out of it.

So after the updates, I found out that her car does not get Netflix. So I gave her the news that her car's older computer cannot handle Netflix so she won't have it. I thought she would just say "I won't use it anyway." But instead... she ask "Can we upgrade to the new computer?" LOL.

Seriously, people are going crazy with this update. How many of us will actually use this feature after a month or 2 that frequently? Eventually you won't be able to use it without Wifi, so pretty much you can only use it at home.
I see two clear uses for it. First, on a road trip when stopped at a supercharger; I fully expect most superchargers to have WiFi within the next two years. Second, at home during a power outage or when the air quality is really bad, like during the fires in California last year. Watch a movie while using bio-weapon defense mode and all is good.

It is actually funny you said that. So yesterday both my Model 3 and my wife's Model X (MCU 1) was downloading the updates. I told my wife, "We are getting Netflix in our cars!" She told me "What good is that? How often would we watch Netflix in the car?" It is true... kind of cool but probably won't get much use out of it.

So after the updates, I found out that her car does not get Netflix. So I gave her the news that her car's older computer cannot handle Netflix so she won't have it. I thought she would just say "I won't use it anyway." But instead... she ask "Can we upgrade to the new computer?" LOL.
Haha, why don't you be a good husband and switch car with your wife. haha.

Last edited:
I see two clear uses for it. First, on a road trip when stopped at a supercharger; I fully expect most superchargers to have WiFi within the next two years. Second, at home during a power outage or when the air quality is really bad, like during the fires in California last year. Watch a movie while using bio-weapon defense mode and all is good.
yeah, but you will probably spend most of the time going to bathroom and getting food. I personally would rather spend that time to walk around instead of sitting in the car to watch netflix since I probably just drove for a couple hours.
When your power is out, no wifi, no netflix. you will probably end up watching it on your phone in your car anyway. haha.
I will give you watching it during bad air quality.

I am pretty sure she would not like that. Her car open the door for her and close it when she steps on the brake. In fact the first thing she said to me when we went to pick up my car was, "Your door doesn't open for you?"
Your wife is funny. My wife is actually thinking about getting ride of our Honda Odyssey in a couple years and replace it with an X after enjoying having the S for a month now. I am sure she will enjoy the door opening/closing features a lot.