Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got VIN and Model Y delivery price increased by $4000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered Model Y in Red/White in July 2021 and put down $100 deposit. Was told originally supposed to be delivered in 6-8 weeks. Never happened and in Oct 25 2021 I called and asked if they could change color to White/Black to save me $3000. I specifically told them "Save me $3000 by changing color to stock white/black from red/white". I got email later on Oct 27, 2021 showing price was $1000 MORE (not $3000 less) and it was White/Black.

I immediately emailed them the same day (have email proof) and told them this is an error and also called them. I was told at first they would take care of it and rep should have told me price increase.

Again my whole goal of changing color was to save money.

I've been complaining by phone and each time reps say it will go to a manager to fix it don't worry. Well 2 months later I get a response saying they can't do anything to revert price/color but can give me $250 back (remember I only paid $100) or get $500 merchandise credit.

$500 is a lot less than $4000!

Went to the Tesla store and guy told me to go talk to the other manager which I'm going to go tomorrow but said it happens all the time. Apparently he said rep didn't know about price increase, sent an email and then price went up during the processing time and they stuck me with new price without disclosing it and they still said tough luck.

Anyone else out there get a better deal than $500?
You should have and order sheet with your price breakdown. And how did you only pay 100 when it’s 250? I’m not understanding this.

Because it was $100 a year ago.

Ah got it. And do you still have the original order sheet? I would guess that it would be hard for them to not honor the numbers that they sent you on the order sheet.

Ah got it. And do you still have the original order sheet? I would guess that it would be hard for them to not honor the numbers that they sent you on the order sheet.
They are not honoring the original order sheet because it is null and void since he called and changed his order when the policy was any change converts your order to current pricing. He told the person on the phone he wanted to “save $3,000 by removing red paint and white interior and changing to white paint and black interior.“ However, his base order was for $4,000 less so the price increased by $1,000 overall. The sales person didn’t confirm new pricing but he also didn’t ask them to confirm new pricing before requesting the change and the contract he initially signed spells out the potential for price increases. He should have asked if he could save money instead of saying I want to save money by doing this.

Basically, it’s he said she said since the original call was not recorded. Tesla will say it’s his fault because he signed something and they upheld their end of what was signed.

He hasn’t posted since January so likely lost arbitration and didn’t want to come back and admit defeat. Interestingly enough, of his 19 posts, 17 are in this thread, 1 is in another thread about price adjustments and 1 is a it him losing 30 miles of indicated range after 6 months. In Feb 22 when he was supposed to be taking delivery of this order he’s complaining about. That means he already owned a 2021 MY.