Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Fence for Trunk height

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

napabill

Supporting Member
Just got my X home and find that I cannot allow the trunk to raise to it's full height without hittting the door. Easy enough to adjust the setting on a semi-permanent basis, but would really like to be able to have the GPS location determine the heigt much like the air suspension. That way I could have the trunk open all the way, except when it is in my garage.

Just gashed my forehead walking into the partially lowered trunk door. There are sharp edges of trim that can, and did, break the skin. Doesn't present a problem as long as you are standing there when the door goes up. Problem is when approaching the opening with the door already open. This needs addressing. Maybe a height sensor as with the FWD to stop it if it is a low ceiling area.

For reasons I don't know, the Trunk door now seems to realize that there is a low ceiling when in the garage, and opens just short of it. Outside it opens all the way. Can this be?

I hope this is a new feature, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how they could implement it. Did you set the height to be lower in your garage first or have you never limited the opening height? I could imagine a scenario, where if you set the opening height, and if the top car sensor detects the vehicle is in a garage, then the set height would be obeyed. If nothing is detected above the vehicle, then it will max open. The trunk doesn't have any sensors, so it would have to rely on the roof top sensor for information.

I think the thought is that it would be using the top sensor between the FWDs.

Anyway I may have to recapture my post. I think I also changed my AS height from low to normal around the same time. That could account for the difference in height in my particular case.

I have hit my head many times on the lower opening height I had to set to avoid having the rear lift gate hit my open garage door. I am learning to always own it fully manually when I am outside of my garage - but it has taken quite a few knocks on the head for me to learn. This is actually my number one complaint about the X.

I hope this is a new feature, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how they could implement it. Did you set the height to be lower in your garage first or have you never limited the opening height? I could imagine a scenario, where if you set the opening height, and if the top car sensor detects the vehicle is in a garage, then the set height would be obeyed. If nothing is detected above the vehicle, then it will max open. The trunk doesn't have any sensors, so it would have to rely on the roof top sensor for information.
I did reset the trunk height lower early on, but reverted to using the full height after nailing my forehead a few times. If this is a feature I'm surprized more hasn't been made of it. Anyone else document this? My X is in the shop for some punch-list items so I can't do any testing right now.

I think the thought is that it would be using the top sensor between the FWDs.

This would probably be the only way to implement the feature. I'll try it out tonight to see if it works for me. The only thing I worry about is that when my garage door is open, the last horizontal section is still on the curve of the track and not flat like the rest of the door, which is what the roof sensor would be detecting. If the liftgate is opening based on roof sensor height detection, then it could potentially hit the section of the garage door that isn't as high. I have set the height of my liftgate to almost touching the garage door and have noticed in the past few weeks that it comes up short of it. Maybe this can be attributed to a software change.

Would be cool if the software kept a short history of the sensor readings. It would notice that part of the door was lower as the sensors passed under it, and if you didn't drive far enough to clear that, it would limit opening the trunk to that height.

Back again. Today I tried an experiment. Outside my garage I opened the trunk and pushed the lid all the way open. I then held down the trunk close button until it beeped locking in that new default height.

I then drove into the garage, placed a thick soft towel over my spoiler and then opened the trunk. It raised up to an inch shy of my garage door with the nasty hinge piece, which is at least 6 inches from it's max opening. And also the garage door does not open as far forward as the top sensor on the FWD so I have no idea what made it stop.

Now others should try the same experiment.

• Informative
Reactions: matblk