Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS issue since the past few weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
I have a 2018 TM3 LR with no issues with GPS until a few weeks ago, at most, a month.
This happens intermittently, but regularly if that makes sense. It happens at least a couple of times daily when driving where it shows the car's current location off by anywhere between 50-500 ft or so.

2 scenarios:
1) When I am actually on a highway, the red arrow shows I am on the service/access/feeder road of the highway instead.
2) Sometimes, when I am on a city street heading northbound, red arrows would show on the same city, but on the other side (left) of the road, so it shows the red arrow moving against the flow of traffic!

This causes issues with navigation where it constantly asks me to merge onto the highway (scenario 1) or it asks me to take the next right and then left onto the city street I am already on. This is annoying and distracting...especially on the highway. More alarmingly and dangerous, on the highway, it would suddenly start braking since it thinks I am on the feeder road where the speed limit is obviously lower.

I have seen other posts where the more common issue with the GPS was that it was frozen in a particular location.
I did see a similar post that talks about the same issue I have been having:

Now, I have gone to Service and they have tried to tell me that the signal is being blocked by my windshield tint (which I doubt). They nevertheless replaced the GPS antenna but I still have the same issue.
I have scheduled another service apt, but should I push for them to look at the gyro/accelerometer?

Changes that have been made to the car this year: New windshield tint + sunroof tint. I can't imagine tint causing this issue, these are not some old-style metallic tints, these are top of the line ceramic tint from a very reputed tint installer that has done thousands of Tesla tints.

Has anyone had this exact issue and gotten a resolution/found the cause?

One day last week, for the whole day, I kept getting messages on the screen: 'Autosteer not available', 'Cruise Control not available', 'Automatic Emergency Braking not available', but they fixed themselves the next day. Not sure if these were/are related to the GPS issue which still happens daily.

Oh and I have already tried soft reboot a couple of times to no avail.
TIA
KG

Same problem with no tint or any upgrade. It is really annoying to have this simple problem.... I never had this problem in my BMW ever. I started experiencing after some software updates but it is particularly dangerous in autopilot when going over a junction because it picks up the speed limits of the nearby roads.

I'll put my two sense here.

As of April, my 2018 LR RWD GPS has been failing when I get in the vehicle. Location stuck, cameras don't work, AP doesn't work, cruise is stuck at 45mph max. Service center hasn't identified it yet. No Windshield Tint.

Reactions: Jane4
This is the downside to owning a Tesla, outside of the warranty repairs are really expensive. My Model 3's warranty expires at the end of this year and it honestly worries me. And buying a new Tesla is out of my price range now with their increases and delays even getting a car.

I have a 2019 rwd M3. GPS has gone off the rails. Will show me driving over the river and through the hills, driving backwards, drifting sideways. If I try to navigate, it has to constantly update the route based on whatever road it thinks it’s near. Often works properly though. Really frustrating. Service has no idea. Asked me to give them precise times of occurrence (I had phone videos) to which they said no error was being reported by the car. Sent me home with no solution. They said I should press the voice control button whenever is occurs and say “Bug Report” I’ve had this problem for at least 6 months over many updates. At least I’m not the only one…

From what I've been told Bug Reports via the car aren't sent to Tesla, but only keep a record of reference when a service center accesses it directly when you are there. How is it that they can't figure out your issue?! Tesla service centers don't seem to be any different that any other auto manufactures service, it sucks!

I have a 2019 rwd M3. GPS has gone off the rails. Will show me driving over the river and through the hills, driving backwards, drifting sideways. If I try to navigate, it has to constantly update the route based on whatever road it thinks it’s near. Often works properly though. Really frustrating. Service has no idea. Asked me to give them precise times of occurrence (I had phone videos) to which they said no error was being reported by the car. Sent me home with no solution. They said I should press the voice control button whenever is occurs and say “Bug Report” I’ve had this problem for at least 6 months over many updates. At least I’m not the only one…
Ditto

Ditto. Any solution?

I have another appointment with service to fix my heat (currently not functioning - they are going to replace the heater entirely). We’ll see if the bug reports yield any helpful information. Seems to me that it’s a software issue that won’t be fixed by service.

I have another appointment with service to fix my heat (currently not functioning - they are going to replace the heater entirely). We’ll see if the bug reports yield any helpful information. Seems to me that it’s a software issue that won’t be fixed by service.
It’s not software. The cause has been found. It’s cabin camera interference with gps cable causing it drift.