Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS stuck/ location not updating (Solved now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I needed to take my car to the Springfield SC and the techs there figured it out. It was my Gyro board, or my "dead reckoning" board. Actually the guys in Paramus changed that board out months ago, but it didn't fix my problem. The guys at Springfield worked on the same add on board and got it working. Been working ever since.

My car (S85 with, needless to say, MCU1) has been doing this several times a week since receiving the 2019.20.4.2 update.
Service Center says it's the GPS antenna. Coincidence that it started right along with the update. No clear explanation why it happens only after the car sleeps and is immediately cured by a MCU reboot.

Out of warranty so not a cheap fix since an antenna replacement is also a rear glass replacement. They will, I'm told, reimburse if the problem recurs after this fix. We'll see...

I had frozen maps, intermittent problems with range meter getting frozen and things like release notes screen taking forever to load until i reset all trips. Now everthing is much quicker and no frozen screens. Wondering if gps issue is resolved this way?

Recently upgraded to 2019.28.3 from 2018.24.4. After the upgrade, AP started to error out randomly and require me to take over. This is on roads where it never previously had an issue. Yesterday while driving with AP enabled the car alerted me to take over. After taking over there were warnings that cruise control and automatic emergency breaking were disabled. I parked and rebooted the screen with the two scroll wheels but the warnings persisted. I then shutdown the car and waited two minutes before starting up again. The errors went away. However, now the GPS is stuck at the location I was parked and no longer updates. The instrumentation cluster shows my car but not any cars near me or the lane markings. A firmware update was available yesterday, presumably 2019.28.3.1, but it failed both upgrade attempts. Now I cannot use AP properly.

I am a Model 3 owner. I have been having GPS frozen off and on for about 4 months and have had this happen no less than 12 times.

-AP is useless on highway because speed limit reverts to 50Km/h
-Avatars of vehicles around don’t load
-Lane lines do not draw
-Maps does not update location, phone map location is consistent
-GPS dependant features don’t work such as homelink auto garage door opening, sentry by location

I have a Ranger appointment to fix antenna. But doing serious cache flushes really helped. I went from having the issue occur more than 50% of the time to not all for about 3 - 4 weeks with a ... not sure what they did but it sounded like they were clearing my cache.

My father has also experienced this issue in his Model S.

for clarity.... salesman said there is a reboot you can do if things get frazzled..is that the two rotator wheels pressed and full stop? i have not received my car yet, trying to get info ahead of the car deliv. i tried youtube but everything i saw was not true...so figured "real" users would know best. is there a soft reboot & a hard reboot?

for clarity.... salesman said there is a reboot you can do if things get frazzled..is that the two rotator wheels pressed and full stop? i have not received my car yet, trying to get info ahead of the car deliv. i tried youtube but everything i saw was not true...so figured "real" users would know best. is there a soft reboot & a hard reboot?

I always do a full reboot. Hold brake down (in park) and hold both steering wheel buttons down for 5 seconds. Let go. System should come up briefly, go black, A/C shutdown, and then start powering the displays and A/C.

Park, get out, wait for the computer to shut down and alarm to set. Get back in and start driving. Problem solved!

Worked for me at least. Mine fixed itself while I ran into a restaurant to get a to go order, maybe 3 minutes. When I got back in It looked like the location was still stuck but as soon as I started moving the location updated.

Good luck!

Why is this marked solved? I see no solution. I currently have this issue as well, but it isn't just GPS. When this occurs my GPS, daylight sensor, and lane/traffic indicators don't work. I have found no way to "fix" it. Once in a while when I get in the car they work, but most of the time they don't.

Why is this marked solved? I see no solution. I currently have this issue as well, but it isn't just GPS. When this occurs my GPS, daylight sensor, and lane/traffic indicators don't work. I have found no way to "fix" it. Once in a while when I get in the car they work, but most of the time they don't.

Had same problem tried multiple reboots did not fix. Removed the USB thumb drive from center console and rebooted - problem solved.

Reactions: xxMxx
Had same problem tried multiple reboots did not fix. Removed the USB thumb drive from center console and rebooted - problem solved.

This method worked for me (disconnecting everything that was connected to the USB outlets) .... had to take a drive to see the location update/refresh, but did notice that the wifi/LTE seemed like it wasn't connected before taking a drive and seeing the GPS / location update