Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great first SC experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fraank

Jul 21, 2019
UK
I was pretty worried about Tesla after care, since getting my 3. I've had the car for a month now and had a few "minor" issues:

-loud wind whistling noise between 30 and 70mph.
-rear passenger window would pop up before door closed (has fixed itself but the glass scratched the chrome on one occasion)
-slight creak from driver's door
-brake fluid warning (topped up and fixed myself)

Having to wait 1 month for an appointment and feeling like the car may be badly put together was a little worrisome.

All I can say is, I was blown away by the experience today at Bristol SC. I arrived a little early, and within 15mins I was out taking a technician for a road test. He agreed the whistling was not right (but first he has heard like that), and disappeared with the car to investigate.

I entertained myself with biscuits/coffee/TV/emails, what you would expect from any good dealership now.

I was amazed to have the tech re-appear 20min later:

-whistling noise, was the plastic trim under the windscreen (top area of frunk, under the removable part) - needing a press to engage a clip.
-drivers door - trim needed a press, to engage 2 clips.
-chrome trim, not in stock but van will come to my house next week to replace.
-brake fluid, reassured me they were shipped too low for the sensor, and a top up is all they do.

Now, these build quality issues could warrant some alarm, however... during our road test he told me they have only had 2 model 3's with actual faults (they typically just have paint issues or trim fitting like mine), and that the model 3 is far superior to the S in build quality.

My take away from this is the model 3 has brilliant quality, but poor QA.

I just want Tesla to improve the turnaround time for SC appointments and I am actually now a convert.

Great to hear. My Ernie is booked in at Bristol SC for the end of this month. Minor paint issues from delivery and the brakes squeal like banshees when reversing especially when wet. Virtual service have been good so far. Looking forward to meeting the service team.

Great to hear. My Ernie is booked in at Bristol SC for the end of this month. Minor paint issues from delivery and the brakes squeal like banshees when reversing especially when wet. Virtual service have been good so far. Looking forward to meeting the service team.
Awesome, all the team there were super friendly, and my tech was Richard. Oh dear, that sounds another annoying one with your brakes!

Enjoying driving round with no high pitch whistle now anyway!

I'm not sure what "brilliant quality, but poor QA" means - but glad that it was a good outcome for you.

I've got mine booked in to the MK SC at the end of the month to hopefully sort out a minor bumper alignment issue. Fingers crossed that they don't just say "within spec". I might have a sense of humour failure if that happens!

Other than that the car is pretty well perfect. Paint is really very good and apart from some slight wind noise from the driver's door mirror at speeds over 60mph, it's pretty quiet in there too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what "brilliant quality, but poor QA" means - but glad that it was a good outcome for you.
Ha, what I mean is if the cars were creaky and rattly it could either be because the design/quality is poor, or simply because things weren't clipped together right.

I.e. the design is great, therefore problems should be simple to fix, and the majority of the problems we are seeing should have been caught by QA.

Hope that makes sense, it was a pretty cool realisation for me. The car feels so much more solid now those 2 noise sources were fixed for me.

Good luck with the bumper, hopefully they have a similar vibe to the Bristol team.

and the brakes squeal like banshees when reversing especially when wet.

What was the reaction to this? Ours are really bad too - wouldn't be surprised if we get disapproving comments from the neighbours as we reverse down the drive in the morning. I had hoped that they might get better as they bedded in, but seem to be worse than ever, but could be the damp weather.

Ha, what I mean is if the cars were creaky and rattly it could either be because the design/quality is poor, or simply because things weren't clipped together right.

I.e. the design is great, therefore problems should be simple to fix, and the majority of the problems we are seeing should have been caught by QA.

Hope that makes sense, it was a pretty cool realisation for me. The car feels so much more solid now those 2 noise sources were fixed for me.

Good luck with the bumper, hopefully they have a similar vibe to the Bristol team.

I guess I'm just more accustomed to hearing the term QC as in quality control when referring to issues such as this. As opposed to the acronym QA which I don't know that I've ever heard outside of this thread used in this context.

Reactions: Fraank
I agree they are much worse when it’s rainy.
The SC have said they will look at it and maybe burnish them. I found other post saying that due to most breaking being regenerate the disks can corrode a bit which is rubbed off by driving with the brakes on. Not convinced as mine have squealed since week one. Other posts said it was a known issue and their SC had ordered parts.

I guess I'm just more accustomed to hearing the term QC as in quality control when referring to issues such as this. As opposed to the acronym QA which I don't know that I've ever heard outside of this thread used in this context.

I think QA is quality Assurance basically the same as Quality Control. with TQM (Total Quality Management) methods you’re typically start Ok, and keep getting better even when you have passed any “good enough” status. Improve because you can, and because it’s always cheaper to make it right first time.

Reactions: Fraank
The SC have said they will look at it and maybe burnish them. I found other post saying that due to most breaking being regenerate the disks can corrode a bit which is rubbed off by driving with the brakes on. Not convinced as mine have squealed since week one. Other posts said it was a known issue and their SC had ordered parts.

You might have a broken clip on the pads. See 13 min 50 sec into this youtube video.

My M3 is a month old and started making that noise (only while reversing) today - let us know what the SC do.

I'm booked in to my Tesla SC for the paint blemishes that I spotted at handover. All are insignificant compared to the stone chips that I have obtained since handover. I also had the supply of a frunk mat and poor windscreen wiper activation on the to do list. Apart from getting a frunk mat (which is principal more than anything) and in the knowledge that the wipers are getting the attention of the big boss - I'm thinking of cancelling the SC visit because in actual fact the car looks perfect and I don't want to regret having taken it in for what seems now trivial repairs.

Anyone else had similar thoughts and cancelled?

I managed to fix most of the handover problems I identified on day 1: misaligned rear doors, marks on rear door window glass, rear door rubber seal hanging down.

However, I have just two problems left - some paint scraped off bumper and misaligned front trunk lid. I did ask Tesla by email with photos if they could tell me how to realign the front trunk myself, as I would then sort the missing paint on the front bumper myself and cancel the SC visit. However, Tesla just sent me confirmation of the SC appointment next week. So, I would like to cancel, but I just can't sort the front trunk lid out on my own.

My M3 LR AWD went into Stockport SC for the day last Thursday, for the usual delivery paint problems and also to have HomeLink installed.

They weren’t sure when I dropped it off if it would be a one day job or not, so they loaned me a 2015 MS P90D.

Anyway, it was all done in the day. The paint tbh is hardly any different, which the guy acknowledged when I picked it up. A group of 6 minor lumps and bumps on the top of the rear door, just below the window. The guy did offer to book the car into the paint shop for a week to have that door resprayed, but I didn’t want to do that as the defects are so minor.

When I was driving the car home I tried to play some music from my USB stick. Not working. They had unplugged both USB plugs from the front sockets and not replaced them, so no music, no dash cam for the journey home and no phone charging!

There were also various dirty marks inside the car, which is just totally unprofessional. Big dusty boot prints all over the drivers mat and under the front of the seat. Dirty fingerprints on the A pillar lining.

Overall, 7/10 for the work they did, 3/10 for care and professionalism.

My M3 LR AWD went into Stockport SC for the day last Thursday, for the usual delivery paint problems and also to have HomeLink installed.

They weren’t sure when I dropped it off if it would be a one day job or not, so they loaned me a 2015 MS P90D.

Anyway, it was all done in the day. The paint tbh is hardly any different, which the guy acknowledged when I picked it up. A group of 6 minor lumps and bumps on the top of the rear door, just below the window. The guy did offer to book the car into the paint shop for a week to have that door resprayed, but I didn’t want to do that as the defects are so minor.

When I was driving the car home I tried to play some music from my USB stick. Not working. They had unplugged both USB plugs from the front sockets and not replaced them, so no music, no dash cam for the journey home and no phone charging!

There were also various dirty marks inside the car, which is just totally unprofessional. Big dusty boot prints all over the drivers mat and under the front of the seat. Dirty fingerprints on the A pillar lining.

Overall, 7/10 for the work they did, 3/10 for care and professionalism.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking - why take it in and then regret taking it in.

Had my car in at Stockport SC for some paint issues and other things, they've made the paint issues worse and didn't look at the other issues so I've rebooked another appointment for those.

Echo the professionalism comments, my car came out of the workshop covered in polishing compound and there was even some on the inside.

I regret letting them touch the paintwork, they are definitely not a body shop and anything above a basic light scratch is beyond them but they tried anyway and messed it up, it's going to need painting now to sort properly :(

Reactions: Roy W.
What was the reaction to this? Ours are really bad too - wouldn't be surprised if we get disapproving comments from the neighbours as we reverse down the drive in the morning. I had hoped that they might get better as they bedded in, but seem to be worse than ever, but could be the damp weather.

Anyone have a photo of front brake callipers especially drivers side they can post.

I had wheels off for winter tyre change and front drivers side I briefly noticed what looks like a brass clip protruding from calliper but was in go mode so didn’t think to explore closer or take photo. Inside long side around upper 1/3rd of calliper if my memory serves.

Coincidentally or not, this is also the wheel where I think I can hear squeal coming from - May also be others.

I think I would have noticed same on other corners if it was normal. Looked like the sort of thing that should have been pushed in further.